Best Value In An Ultrasonic Cleaner?

terminal

Anyone have an ultrasonic cleaner they love and feel was a great value?

I only saw one review on this and couldn't find any threads.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/221706-emmi-4-ultrasonic-cleaner/page__p__2350614__hl__ultrasonic__fromsearch__1#entry2350614

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• amberleadavis

• johntdavis

• JimB

I bought one from Lidl. Works well enough. Cost £20.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

Most of the ultrasonics on the market are made in China. Just avoid the ones with the buttons on top. The wires that go through the hinges are very thin and will break in short order.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have the prior model of this. It was made by Haer but is apparently being rebranded now. It's even on sale. (Or they spun off the US cleaner company, all the prior Haer models now have this new name.)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglass/dp/B004MBE6WQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337808015&sr=1-2-spell

I've had mine about 3 years now and I think I paid about $35 shipped for it. I've rode it hard and put it up wet and it still works fine. If it died tomorrow I'd buy another one like it.

It works well, is very durable and inexpensive.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I have the prior model of this. It was made by Haer but is apparently being rebranded now. It's even on sale. (Or they spun off the US cleaner company, all the prior Haer models now have this new name.)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglass/dp/B004MBE6WQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337808015&sr=1-2-spell

I've had mine about 3 years now and I think I paid about $35 shipped for it. I've rode it hard and put it up wet and it still works fine. If it died tomorrow I'd buy another one like it.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Wow thanks that looks like exactly what the Dr ordered!

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• 1 month later...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I saw you have this, so I ordered one on that basis. There are so many cheesy models/brands out there, it's hard to decide.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Yes mine is going fine after almost 3 years.

Tom Heath recently posted about ultrasonic cleaners (it was a good post, search for it) and mentioned he thought some future difficulties were from keeping the unit filled all the time. I DO empty mine after each use so it ISN'T always filled with water. I did that before I read Tom's post.

I can't prove it but I suspect that's the better way to do it.

I only use water in the actual cleaner. My cleaning solution goes into a small thin plastic disposable cup to actually do most of my sonicating with (unless bigger parts won't fit in the cup). So it's no big deal for me to just pour out plain water (Vs a unit filled with solution).

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I use only water in mine, as that has been the trick for me. I also always clean it out after every use, but that is due more to the fact that in Albuquerque we have exceptionally hard water and it does a number on stuff if you don't clean it right away!

.... My cleaning solution goes into a small thin plastic disposable cup to actually do most of my sonicating with (unless bigger parts won't fit in the cup). So it's no big deal for me to just pour out plain water (Vs a unit filled with solution).

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Great idea! I'll save my Smart Balance margarine container and start with that!!! Thanks again.

Anyone have ballpark liquid capacity and dimensions on this thing? I don't find that info, even googling it.

The other Trent (CD-3800) at Amazon is like 5.4"L x 3.6"W x 2.1"H, with a one pint capacity. That seems pretty small.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Good eye on your part. :thumbup:

Something is amiss with their dimensions and or/capacity.

The 3800 is Supposed To Be larger than the unit I linked to.

I just did a quick measure of mine, the dimensions of the inside of the stainless tank are about 5.75"x 5" x about 1.75". Those real figures are larger than what they Say is inside the much larger on the outside unit. Non-sensical. 17 fluid ounces is maybe 1/4" below the fill line, I'd guesstimate about 20 oz to the fill line.

You can put whole CD's inside to clean with room to spare. I haven't had any issue with the one I linked to not being big enough.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

http://www.amazon.co...15&sr=1-2-spell

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I just ordered this one....free shipping too. Thanks, Bruce! smile.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Just pulled the trigger on one too, thanks. :thumbup:

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

I have a related question:

Do Ultrasonic cleaners ever wear out from use? I'm not talking about wires breaking and things like that. I'm speaking of a decrease in apparent cleaning power. Sorta like the way the magnetron in a microwave oven eventially wears out and needs to be replaced.

I have a Bransonic 200 that has served me well for several years, but cleaning seems to take longer lately.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Tom Connell

I'm counting 3 of these units sold in just a few days thanks to Bruce. He deserves a cut! Bad news is, they STILL haven't shipped mine yet, and it's been two full days! I can't stand the waiting!

I'm counting 3 of these units sold in just a few days thanks to Bruce. He deserves a cut! Bad news is, they STILL haven't shipped mine yet, and it's been two full days! I can't stand the waiting!

If I say or suggest something here that helps someone enjoy their pens more and especially if it helps them take better care of those pens, that's plenty of "a cut" for me. :clap1: Hopefully someone will use them to restore a pen sometime to go to someone who "needs" but can't buy right then.

There are so many here who have been patient in their teaching to me and generous with their time, expertise and even pens. For that, I am very thankful. I am happy to be able to do the same in some small way.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Bruce. I've been considering one of these, but I didn't know where to start. I'm growing weary of flushing a pen with water for three hours and not getting it completely clear. (It's less of a problem where I'm working with a cartridge converter--I can easily flush with a syringe there. But my plunger filler Pilot Custom 823 is an absolute nightmare, and doesn't come apart. It's also my favorite pen. :) I'm thinking the Conklin Crescent won't be any more pleasant. And I'd hate to abuse the squeeze mechanism on my, ahem, new Parker 51 more than I have to. Luckily it's looking like I won't be changing the ink in it for a long, long time.)

If you like it I'm confident in buying it. :)

Question: do you have to worry about the ultrasound misaligning the tines over time? I can't imagine you would, but I figured I should ask.

It won't affect the tines though it may take thin plating off of nibs.

Be sure you have fresh cool water when sonicating the BHR Conklin. The sonicated water could get warm and oxidize the BHR.

You do need to give some thought to how things are put together before you go sonicating the beejeebies out of them. An example is the caps to Estie Transitionals with the screw in jewels. The retaining ring inside the cap for the jewel is only pressure fitted and I am convinced an extended sonicating session loosened a retaining ring on me once. It Was kind of a pain to get reset back in the cap. I no longer sonicate Estie trasntional caps.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

It won't affect the tines though it may take thin plating off of nibs.

Be sure you have fresh cool water when sonicating the BHR Conklin. The sonicated water could get warm and oxidize the BHR.

You do need to give some thought to how things are put together before you go sonicating the beejeebies out of them. An example is the caps to Estie Transitionals with the screw in jewels. The retaining ring inside the cap for the jewel is only pressure fitted and I am convinced an extended sonicating session loosened a retaining ring on me once. It Was kind of a pain to get reset back in the cap. I no longer sonicate Estie trasntional caps.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Now I'm wondering how you tell if your nib has thin plating. I've got steel nibs and rhodium plated gold nibs and yellow gold nibs. No idea how thick the plating is or if it's solid gold or what.

BHR? Does that refer to the reproduction YAFA is currently putting out (which is what I have)? As far as I know it has a plastic/resin body and a steel nib.

"Sonicating the beejeebies out of them" is a wonderful phrase I will try to add to my personal lexicon. ;)

I'm mostly interested in sonicing the section/nib/feed/ink storage mechanism on pens that can't be easily syringe flushed: the Crescent, my Custom 823 plunger filler, my Estie lever filler, etc. Anything with a cartridge converter I can flush with a syringe attached to a cut up cartridge in about 10-15 minutes (credit to Brian Goulet for showing me how to do this). I hadn't even considered sonic'ing a cap. Should i be worried about ink buildup in those? I rinse them out every once in a while.

I'm a bit nervous about using such a device on a vintage pen. Of course, I'm also wary of even touching my vintage pens, but I use them anyway. ;) I think I'll be less nervous about my Estie once it's ready than I am about my Parker. If I trash the Estie's nib somehow, I can always just screw on a new one. The Parker is a bit more complex.

Clearly, I'd think it ok to sonicate (interesting made up word, that I think works here) a barrel with the sac removed, and other pieces of a pen that's been taken apartbut having some clear cut rules-of-the-road on how to sonicate pens and pieces would help. i.e. Would it be ok to leave the nib on the feed? And the feed on the section? etc.

What are some do's and don'ts please?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)