#31 Shaughn

Shaughn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:30

I'm inclined to think that handwriting and books (real books, not e-books) are doomed to become luxuries for the happy few.

Oh well... in the mean time, let's snob the simple peasants who cannot write a legible cursive, or have an ebook reader. Poor uncultivated things, too physically impaired for handling delicate and fragile paper pages or exquisite writing instruments.

Eh?

#32 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:41

I'm inclined to think that handwriting and books (real books, not e-books) are doomed to become luxuries for the happy few.

Oh well... in the mean time, let's snob the simple peasants who cannot write a legible cursive, or have an ebook reader. Poor uncultivated things, too physically impaired for handling delicate and fragile paper pages or exquisite writing instruments.

Eh?

There are companies that will not employ people who cannot read and write well. I know of a company that has a hand written test before they give a formal interview. The applicant must use their own pen to write dictated sentence that include words like "your", "you're", "their", "there", "they're". Any mistake and the applicant does not get the interview.

#33 Sherwood Forester

Sherwood Forester

Veni, vidi, vindalui ... I came, I saw, I got curried away

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:08

There are companies that will not employ people who cannot read and write well. I know of a company that has a hand written test before they give a formal interview. The applicant must use their own pen to write dictated sentence that include words like "your", "you're", "their", "there", "they're". Any mistake and the applicant does not get the interview.

What a great idea! If only it could become the normal procedure everywhere. (Did it used to be the case in times past?) One spin-off might be an improvement in the standard of English attained by school-leavers. Some of the young people I know personally are oblivious to the different meanings and spellings of words which sound the same as each other, such as the examples you gave. Another widespread abomination is the use in conversation of "somethink", "anythink" and nothink" instead of the correct words. I have wondered if the people who use the corrupted versions also write them down in the same form.

Schools would have a great incentive to concentrate more on the "basics" if employers insisted on applicants being reasonably literate (and also numerate!)

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

#34 Sherwood Forester

Sherwood Forester

Veni, vidi, vindalui ... I came, I saw, I got curried away

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:17

Incidentally, Brianetta, that's a heck of a view you've got from your patio/balcony/terrace/window ;)

S.F.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

#35 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:34

Another widespread abomination is the use in conversation of "somethink", "anythink" and nothink" instead of the correct words. I have wondered if the people who use the corrupted versions also write them down in the same form.
[/color][/size]

I just laughed so hard hahaahahahaa.

Visions of Vicky Pollard from Little Britain just popped into my head.

Posted Image

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#36 Marco Polo Pen Company

Marco Polo Pen Company

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:28

A very interesting article - thanks for sharing.

#37 bbbiswas

bbbiswas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35

Interesting reading. Thank you for the link

I did not get any clarity on the REAL reason for rise in sales of fountain pens from the article.

But I believe the fountain pens sale to

(1) Real lovers of handwriting
(2) Haters of ballpoint pens after their finger pain experience
(3) Rich people for whom it is a symbol of their affluence. FPs cost a fortune.
(4) Lazy people in office who don't have to write much in a day in office
(5) People who don't sign for multiple copies using carbon paper

The marketing people have really cajoled buyers through internet, emails etc.
Advertising should get the credit for rise in FP sales.
Even the BBC article is an advertisement for PARKER showing a Parker nib at the start of the article. It should have shown an anonymous nib. The atonement by showing other pens later is only a trick to show neutrality.