Noodler's Konrad

Jimmy James

This review is also kept at my infant pen blog, The Inked Nib.

I’m a fan of the idea of the Noodler’s pen. I own more than a dozen between the three fountain pen models (Nib Creeper, Ahab, and Konrad). I have the artwork from each taped to the wall in my office. They’re not always easy to work with, and they’re not my best pens. They are a lot of fun to mess with in my book.

Page 1: Staples Sustainable Earth Legal Pad

Page 2: Staples Signa Legal Pad

Page 3: Norcom (USA) Single Subject Notebook Paper

Ink (Jade Ebonite): Noodler’s Henry Hudson Blue (FPH exclusive)

Ink (Roaring 20s): Noodler’s Rome Is Burning

Ink (Red Mesa Tortoise): Platinum Mixfree Leaf Green

I bought three Noodler’s Konrad pens from three retailers. The first is a Jade Ebonite from Fountain Pen Hospital. The second is a Roaring 20’s Brown from Goulet Pen Company. The final Konrad is a Red Mesa Tortoise from iSellPens.

The most interesting thing about the Konrads to me is that the ebonite pen is about 1/2 inch of length longer than the others. The styling of the pens is quite similar. Each one is a piston filler with a blind cap covering the piston. I have not taken any of the pens apart, but I hear that the pens are completely user serviceable like all Noodler’s pens.

Each one of these pens came to me in 100% perfect shape and were ready to write. I know not everyone has had that experience, but I hope most people get good ones.

The non-ebonite pen is about 5 inches capped and about the same length unposted. It is about 5 1/2 inches posted. The ebonite pen is maybe 5 1/4 inches unposted, 5 1/2 inches capped, and about 6 1/4 inches posted. The ebonite pen is maybe 7/16 inch while the non-ebonite pen is about 3/8 inch.

I’m a fan of Noodler’s Pens. I own about 20 total pens, and none of mine have been terrible. The Konrad is the best pen yet. The flex nib is #6 size just like the Ahab. The Knox nibs available at xfountainpens.com should fit the pens. I really like the flexibility though it should be clear that I do not possess the skill necessary to make the most of the nib.

Handwritten review:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/7213436804_8c095c31c8_z.jpg

Review by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5465/7213439898_cdd51ef2c2_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7213441946_13fc6683b2_z.jpg

Photos:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7213379916_fe53849498_z.jpg

Konrad by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5338/7213382044_14ec245d45_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7071/7213383314_0e5112b08d_z.jpg

Ahab and Konrad:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7213385518_72dabd479b_z.jpg

Ahab, Konrad, and Nib Creeper:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/7213387718_89c5131fd0_z.jpg

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribblesoften

• Steve01

• Lloyd

• paolino_paperino

wow, JJ! that ebonite Konrad looks very nice! great review!

PS. the FPH doesn't have the ebonite Korad listed on their site!!! :crybaby:

Edited by lovemy51

Thanks for the great review. I am on the fence about a roaring twenties.

Sorry, Lovemy51 the ebonite pens were a limited edition that was never listed on their site. Their is a rumor that they will be put into production. The price for the ebonite was twice the price of the resin version.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Scribblesoften

Interesting Review. I have an Ebonite Noodlers myself. I bought it from FPH @ 40.00 and yes I could not find it anywhere on there website so I called them and asked if they had it which of course they did.

rumor has it another vendor might get the ebonite from Noodlers in different pattern/color????. maybe JJ kows something.........

What I know is what Brian Goulet responded to me about on his blog. It sounds as though yes indeed when the ebonite pens come back it will be in different pattern(s). That's all I know at this point.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I like the size, look, and feel of the ebonite Konrad (that I got from FPH). I do like it much better than the non-ebonite Konrad... about a half inch longer and a bit thicker, and flat ends.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• 2 weeks later...

Noodler's Konrad pens do need adjusting. I have one and after 2 lines of writing the ink stops. I am about to throw this "#$%$^$" pen into the waste paper bin unless I can workout how to fix the stop/start ink flow issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I have cleaned the pen with warm soapy water and changed the ink to a sepia Mont Blanc.

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

Mine (roaring '20s) was a hassle free experience. It wrote very well right out of the box. Quality seems high, as every part fits seamlessly together.

The awful smell completely ruins the experience for me, though.

When the ebonite ones will again be available I might consider buying one. I'd like to know beforehand, though, whether every part is made of ebonite, including section and blind cap.

Mine (roaring '20s) was a hassle free experience. It wrote very well right out of the box. Quality seems high, as every part fits seamlessly together.

The awful smell completely ruins the experience for me, though.

When the ebonite ones will again be available I might consider buying one. I'd like to know beforehand, though, whether every part is made of ebonite, including section and blind cap.

On the ebonite pens, the cap, blind cap and section are made of ebonite matching the body. The feed is also, of course, ebonite. The ink viewing window and the piston mechanism are probably plastic. Nice pens.

Noodler's Konrad pens do need adjusting. I have one and after 2 lines of writing the ink stops. I am about to throw this "#$%$^{:content:}quot; pen into the waste paper bin unless I can workout how to fix the stop/start ink flow issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I have cleaned the pen with warm soapy water and changed the ink to a sepia Mont Blanc.

A word of warning: MB Sepia is an incredibly dry/poorly flowing (yet beautiful and water resistant) ink. If you are having insufficient flow issues, it will only aggrevate the problem.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

On the ebonite pens, the cap, blind cap and section are made of ebonite matching the body. The feed is also, of course, ebonite. The ink viewing window and the piston mechanism are probably plastic. Nice pens.

Thanks. Knowing this I'll buy an ebonite one.

Noodler's Konrad pens do need adjusting. I have one and after 2 lines of writing the ink stops. I am about to throw this "#$%$^{:content:}quot; pen into the waste paper bin unless I can workout how to fix the stop/start ink flow issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I have cleaned the pen with warm soapy water and changed the ink to a sepia Mont Blanc.

A word of warning: MB Sepia is an incredibly dry/poorly flowing (yet beautiful and water resistant) ink. If you are having insufficient flow issues, it will only aggrevate the problem.

Thankyou for the advice Lloyd, I will try a Noodler Ink and see if there is any improvement.

Not all Noodlers ink will flow nicely. You might want to read the ink reviews or ask to ensure that the ink you test with is adequately free flowing.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Beautiful pens, and a great review! I have a couple of other Noodler's pens, and one of these will probably find its way into my pen case (especially now that the gray and blue demonstrators are available).

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

great review! the limited model looks bigger and nicer IMO :thumbup:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Noodler's Konrad pens do need adjusting. I have one and after 2 lines of writing the ink stops. I am about to throw this "#$%$^$" pen into the waste paper bin unless I can workout how to fix the stop/start ink flow issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I have cleaned the pen with warm soapy water and changed the ink to a sepia Mont Blanc.

Same happened to me. You might want to try scrubbing the feed with a toothbrush. I find that there is usually gunk/stuff stuck in places. It helped, but I haven't used my kronrad in a while so not sure if it completely solved it.

New test with Diamine emerald ink and Konrad, not much improvement in ink flow. I have also slightly adjusted the feed by pulling it out a tiny bit further (before the ink "drips" out). Works a bit better with normal writing but does become dry after a few lines of writing and can take some time before the ink flows again.

My recent Noodler's purchases came with notes to flush before using. I've found that the Noodler's pens are quick to dry out (and I'm likely to have it uncapped while I type on the keyboard so the pens dry out).

Thank you for the review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY