Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us!

OcalaFlGuy

Paul, that's absolutely stunning! Absolutely gorgeous.

How do Sailors compare to Nakayas, if you don't mind me asking? Are the nibs similar in equivalent sizes?

Thanks,

Joe

I'm not honestly sure Joe. My first sailor had a medium nib. There was a little tooth to it but absolutely nothing special. It was a learner pen for me, as was my next one, a Pelikan 800. That had a broad nib, very smooth and very wet but nothing interesting. I realised after using those two that I wanted something with more edge. I don't remember how I found nibs.com but I read up on cursive italics and thought I'd give one a try.

I subsequently bought another Sailor and a Platinum, both with music nibs, to compare. I didn't enjoy either - too broad a brush, if you know what I mean, not sharp enough. All the rest of my pens, apart from one big Danitrio with a fine nib, I've had cut to CI, either by John Mottishaw or, here in the UK, John Sorowka.

But you've got that Nakaya now and I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I say that other pens just don't quite have what they have. I only half don't believe myself when I say that the only reason people are so enthusiastic about other brands is because they haven't tried a Nakaya. I have heard that Hakase are supposed to be the business but for me it's the simple minimalism of the Nakayas that I so enjoy - the simplicity and elegance of the cigars, the beautiful clean lines of the Piccolos and Naka-ais and the gorgeous, understated urushi finishes.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tringle

• Uncle Red

• dcpritch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not honestly sure Joe. My first sailor had a medium nib. There was a little tooth to it but absolutely nothing special. It was a learner pen for me, as was my next one, a Pelikan 800. That had a broad nib, very smooth and very wet but nothing interesting. I realised after using those two that I wanted something with more edge. I don't remember how I found nibs.com but I read up on cursive italics and thought I'd give one a try.

I subsequently bought another Sailor and a Platinum, both with music nibs, to compare. I didn't enjoy either - too broad a brush, if you know what I mean, not sharp enough. All the rest of my pens, apart from one big Danitrio with a fine nib, I've had cut to CI, either by John Mottishaw or, here in the UK, John Sorowka.

But you've got that Nakaya now and I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I say that other pens just don't quite have what they have. I only half don't believe myself when I say that the only reason people are so enthusiastic about other brands is because they haven't tried a Nakaya. I have heard that Hakase are supposed to be the business but for me it's the simple minimalism of the Nakayas that I so enjoy - the simplicity and elegance of the cigars, the beautiful clean lines of the Piccolos and Naka-ais and the gorgeous, understated urushi finishes.

You're right, Nakayas are amazing! But I kinda feel like I skipped a few steps, ya know? I had a Noodler's Creaper, then a vintage flex then boom! Nakaya. I absolutely love mine but I'd like to have fun with other nibs as well. I got a Platinum 3776 and, although it's not as expensive as the Nakaya, I love it! It's really nice to use.

In my opinion, you can have just as much fun with a mid-range nib as a high-brow one. My Nakaya is the pinnacle of writing pleasure for me, but I'd kind of like to try a few stubs and italics as well I guess. There's no way I can afford another Nakaya any time soon, so I figure I've got a while to learn about what other pens I like :)

I'm thinking about the Sailor Sapporo at the moment. I won't be able to get it til the end of the year though, and my Nakaya is more than enough to keep me happy for a lifetime or two :)

Thanks,

Joe

Arrgh!

Now I'm dreaming about a Nakaya writer portable Aka-tamenuri with a flexible M or B Nib...

I'm unsure about the nib...

This place is dangerous...

Ooo this thread is so fast moving, I love it. So much to admire.

I've mentioned to a couple of other FPN members today that my long long search for something to replace the incredible Parker Mocha seems to have come to an end.

Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown arrived yesterday - it's gorgeous !

No red or pink in the wash - unlike Yama Guri, Brown Boron and MB Toffee Brown. Don't get me wrong all these produce a beautiful line colour but lose it when washed over.

The Deep Dark Brown is lovely and dark in line, earthy in tone and will shade.

One of my favourite pens to sketch with is now loaded with it and I'm looking forward to having a play.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_deep_dark_brown.jpg

Pen: Wahl Eversharp Skyline

Ink: Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown

Cat: Rosa

tringle, thank you. This ink / pen thing has been going on for some time now. I blame the OCD coursing through my veins . . . :blush:

I'm desperate to try another ink in my Vac 700 amber but can't bring myself to empty it of Ancient Copper.

I think that's why I have so many "boring" black pens so as not to trigger off the madness of matching.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pen_and_ink_combos.jpg

I have a purple Ahab that now can only ever hold the newly discovered Scabiosa. :headsmack:

Loving that Moire effect on your Columbus . . .

tringle, thank you. This ink / pen thing has been going on for some time now. I blame the OCD coursing through my veins . . . :blush:

I'm desperate to try another ink in my Vac 700 amber but can't bring myself to empty it of Ancient Copper.

I think that's why I have so many "boring" black pens so as not to trigger off the madness of matching.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pen_and_ink_combos.jpg

I have a purple Ahab that now can only ever hold the newly discovered Scabiosa. :headsmack:

Loving that Moire effect on your Columbus . . .

I try to pair the ink with the nib, mainly to see how the ink reacts to the nib. and Tas its OK to put Scabiosa in another pen. Remember all pens need loving.......I sometimes put J Herbin Rose Cyclamen in my black Sheaffer Flat Top....I do love the moire effect on the Columbus, its not an oversized pen as its writing capability is superb! BTW Rosa looks so comfortable....Parker likes to lay on my clothes, and he curls himself into the most compact circle I have seen for a big dog. Such a goof! :rolleyes:

p.s. The PW Akkerman Iron Gall is one of my favorites. I think its in my green Sheaffer right now! Ahhhhhhhh OCD nightmare...

Edited by tringle

This 90 cents priced Chinese little pen. It has an aerometric filler system inside and a steel fine nib.

No more comments, the image talks itself.

post-110459-0-03877600-1395516153_thumb.jpg

post-110459-0-18798900-1395516169_thumb.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140322/P1180152_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

That sheet is very nicely done! :puddle:

@attila - Billions! bah!

Hi Uncle Red.

I'm a big fan of Organics inks. I own Blue Merle and Red Rubber Ball and both are wonderful to use and look at. They behave really well in all the pens I use them in too.

I just gave away (although he sent me Alt Bordeaux as a thank you) a bottle of Brown Boron to a fellow FPN member who couldn't easily get any over here in the UK.

I liked that too but as I mainly use my inks in water wash sketches (for fun) I found the Brown Boron too red when washed over.

My sample of Blue Manganate is almost out and I'll probably buy a full bottle as I've enjoyed that too.

Never heard of Fringe. I'll keep an eye out for it. B)

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd338/Jeje3325/P1050725_zps312141a8.jpg

@Coop part II

Not sure it looks deeper after all once I see the pic posted