#1 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:22

Here is my review of the lovely Noodler's Black Swan In Australian Roses. :)

Posted Image

Beautiful shading:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Red-Black really should've been next to BSiAR, but I'd forgotten about it after one of the cats knocked my bottle under the bed. :glare:

Posted Image

I love this ink! It's subtle, dignified, and very velvety. I look forward to review English Roses, and I'll compare them when I get my sample, which will be coming with a dotted Rhodia pad so I can keep my darn lines straight. :D

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:40

Love how it looks in a flexible nib! Looks like that's maybe the next sample for me to open up. (Rats! I was *gonna* try one of the browns!)
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• 1,551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:46

Beautiful review! I think this is one of the prettiest inks ever created, and you wear it well! :cloud9:

Edited by fiberdrunk, 01 May 2012 - 02:47.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

#4 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:17

Yep, here you have the 'black swan' effect! the two dark lines with the deep burgundy (red/pink) color between. Sold me on this ink the first time I saw it! I only wish I had the hand writing to make this ink shine!!

:crybaby:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#5 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:18

This is some ink, that's for sure. Thanks for the review. You pack a lot of info onto one page! I'm inspired to try my hand at an ink review, though I can't write as well as you.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#6 mrt77

mrt77

YEAH! Here comes Amos!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 17:04

I've really enjoyed reading your reviews. Keep up the good work!

NSW is one of my favorite inks at the moment. I sometimes use it with a flex nib, but it looks beautiful in a plain ol' FP as well.

#7 Keyser

Keyser

Professional ink Sniffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 17:41

i enjoyed reading!
it's a magnificent looking ink
On a quest to find the best black ink there is. Tests subjects (updated):
Caran d'Ache Carbon; J. Herbin Perle Noire; De Atramentis Black Edition - Black; Lamy Black; Montegrappa Black; Parker Quink Permanent Black; Pelikan Brilliant Black 4001; Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Nano Black.
Not final list, PM me with further worthy test subjects

#8 Nosilauk

Nosilauk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 22:21

Great review - I have samples of the two "Black Swans" on their way to me - I can't wait ti compare them, more so after reading your review :)
My online marketing business

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:53

Wow, I haven't had the same color as you. That italic writing is stunning. Thank you for sharing.
When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice.

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2012 - 13:52

Well, i've now tried it in my new Konrad. Love the color. Hate the feathering. And the behavior? Odd, to say the least. It hasn't made up it's mind as to whether it wants to dry up or be drippy. When I was trying it out yesterday I literally watched a big droplet roll down the nib, and it bled through the page I was writing on, *and* the page underneath... and that splot took a couple of *hours* to fully dry on the top page (I wound up leaving my ink journal open with tissues between the three pages). :headsmack:
And then, later in the day I couldn't get the pen to write -- it railroaded like crazy with nary a whiff of ink coming out.
Today it seems to be somewhat better behaved -- making sure that the feed is *really* saturated with ink seems to help.
I'm not as enamored of the "black swan" effect because to me that is a polite way of saying "feathers like crazy". But the color itself is really pretty when I'm not trying to flex the nib at all. It's a dark red violet -- not a red black -- when the nib is in F mode.
Anyone know of an ink that will give me this color --*not* a blood red and *not* a red-black -- without the muss and fuss about the haloing/feathering or the excessive bleedthrough? I don't have any broad nibs (the closest is the Guanleming calligraphy pen, and I don't seem to have the hang of that yet) to really appreciate the shading, but I am getting some.
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#11 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:50

My wife calls NSW "burgundy".
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#12 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:50

And a comparison with English Roses:

Posted Image

#13 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 22:34

An update -- i refilled the Konrad last night with more BSiAR. Today both pen and ink are behaving perfectly. Go figure... :blink:
With no flexing, this is a lovely dark magenta/red violet. It does have a fair amount of show-through
on cheap inkjet paper (I was taking notes while looking up contractor reviews on Angie's List) but I'm not seeing nearly as much feathering.

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth, 08 May 2012 - 23:05.