Buying Real Postcards (U.s.a.)

Tdot

I've been looking over the postcard threads, and thought it would be fun to get involved. But it seems that good pen friendly postcards are extinct.

I live in a small rural type area, though it is also a resort destination, one (national chain) drug store, a couple local grocery stores, gas stations... no trendy bookshops or stationary stores. To my surprise, some simply don't sell postcards any more, and the only postcards I have found are as glossy and slick on the back as they are on the front. Certainly not fountain pen or rollerball friendly, probably not even enough texture for a ballpoint to get traction. Is this the future (present) of postcards? Must I use a Sharpie? Do I have to make my own postcards?

Next time I'm near the ski resorts I'll see what they offer, then the big city where they still sell real pens. But I'm feeling this new digital glossy style may be the standard. Great for sending a photo when you really don't want to write anything. :gaah:

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreenVelvet

• Tdot

• bphollin

• ChelleW

I'm in Honolulu. Postcards are everywhere. But there must be an infinite variety of postcard card stock because I think of the bazillion (estimate) postcards I've written no two have been on the same stuff. Sometimes if I use the same card for different people -- the Holidays for instance -- I'll find the right combination of pen and ink to write something without the writing feathering or fainting. After four or five attempts. I'm getting better at eyeballing the card stock and guessing the right pen and ink. It's so nice when that happens!

Doug

:vbg: In a book I am reading, Kilverts Diarys, he talks of this new invention, Postcards, and says what a jolly good idea they are!

I have just purchased some here in England from the Cotswold area in which I am staying and they are very FP friendly.

We have one publisher here that does those slick cards, and you're right, the glossy ones don't like ballpoints any better than they do FPs. The best thing is a G-2, but you have to be careful to let it dry. I try to avoid these cards, myself.

If you are not set on tourist viewcards, nice cards can be had from Pomegranate and Dover. Otherwise, the next time you're somewhere that has acceptable cards, stock up. I probably have 3000 cards in stock now.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

There is a alcohol version of the Sakura Pigma micron called the Pigmum I think. It works great on glossy cards and dries quickly. The Sakura Pigma Microns work fairly well, but they have a longer dry time. I have also had good luck with Pomegranate cards.

A plethora of FP-friendly postcards can be found online. I find most of the offerings by Chronicle Books to take ink beautifully.

And -- for a shameless plug -- all of the postcards I sell in my own etsy shop, both my original (mail- and writing-themed designs) and vintage postcards are quite FP-friendly.

There is a lot of variety in postcard stock. Some postcards ARE too smooth for FPs, some aren't.

Other sources you could try for postcards.

- Museum/zoo gift shops

- Art supply stores

- Used or secondhand book stores

- Flea markets

- dollar stores

- Pomegranate.com (has postcard books and random assortments of postcards)

- Doverpublications.com (has postcard books)

- Ebay.com (has tons of cheap postcard books)

- Etsy.com

Edited to fix Dover addy.

Edited by ChelleW

Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

• 4 weeks later...

I came to the conclusion recently while I was out at a tourist destination that the best solution would be to take my own pictures and turn them into postcards. (This was mostly because I couldn't find postcards with pictures of things I liked, but the slippery glossy trend was a factor, too.)

We took pictures of scenic things with the digital camera (I had my film camera, too, but we were experimenting) and got about four 4x6 prints at Wal-Mart. Then we bought 4x6 index cards, rubber cemented the two together, and voila! Postcards!

An index card isn't necessarily ideal either, but it isn't glossy! Also, all we could find were colorful index cards, so some of my friends got scenic mountain views with a charming pink reverse.

Antiques markets are my favorite source, supplemented by Pomegranate. However, I rarely buy from "postcard dealers" as such, because they want retail collector prices, selling cards individually in neat little plastic envelopes. I look for vendors with a pile or a box of loose cards, glance through them to estimate useable cards, and make my offer. Usually I am turned down, but it only takes a few acceptances or negotiated prices to add hundreds of cards to my inventory in one purchase. My average price per useable card is probably between 3 and 5 cents (US) after culling out unwanted cards.

Vintage cards are as unpredictable as modern cards for ink friendliness, mostly due to age and stages of paper deterioration. The problem is feathering rather than glossiness when dealing with ink on 100-year-old cellulose. Ever try writing on a blotter? :rolleyes:

Free ad cards are usually awful - too glossy for liquid ink. The worst cards I've paid for are the otherwise gorgeous retro cards from Mayfair cards in West Sussex, UK; ink just beads right up!

I made a few cards on my photo printer, but it is after all, just a small ink jet printer. If you worry that handling will smear your handwriting, wait 'til you see what sweaty fingers do to the image on home-printed cards. I haven't compared the product from commercial machines.

By the way, I've notice that received postcards are showing more rough handling these days from sorting machines. There will be a spot in the middle at one edge where it appears as though someone did a wheelie and burned rubber on a miniature motorcycle. The image will be marred and worn through to the paper, even cards with a tough glossy surface.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

the USPS sells pre-posted postcards if you are looking for a postcard and don't care about a vacation picture on the front.

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

By the way, I've notice that received postcards are showing more rough handling these days from sorting machines. There will be a spot in the middle at one edge where it appears as though someone did a wheelie and burned rubber on a miniature motorcycle. The image will be marred and worn through to the paper, even cards with a tough glossy surface.

Alas, I've noticed this, too. It used to happen only occasionally, and now almost every postcard I receive has a similar blemish. Postcards are also taking days more travel time, and I receive them all in a batch... 4-5 postcards on one day, letters on a separate day. Very interesting. Methinks it must have to do with major mail sorting changes (and sorting center consolidations) in the U.S. Postal Service.

I am a big fan of postal workers, and think the postal service is fantastic, but not such a fan of the politics and bureaucracy of the beast. I think this change comes from the latter.

On a recent museum trip, I bought the loose postcards and they took ink well. Emboldened, I bought a couple of books of postcards, which was a big mistake. It was so glossy that I didn't even think a ballpoint would dry. How do ordinary people use them? I was forced to resort to the Sakura Pigmum again. The Pigma Microns work ok, but they still take a day to dry.

I agree with the OP and I guess I need to up my game on local searches. The vintage stuff for my area that I'm getting off ebay is getting a bit expensive.

My fall back when I have to use the slick surface card is write slowly and let it dry overnight before mailing it. It usually makes it ok.

Bob

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

I agree they are becoming more difficult to find. I'm surprised that here in Fort Smith AR, they are very rare. I have found postcards in the antique malls. I also make my own from pictures I have taken, I purchase the backings it works great. Recently I bought a book of reproduction vintage postcards from Amazon.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I also make my own from pictures I have taken, I purchase the backings it works great.

What kind of backing do you use and where do you buy it? Are they already cut to size?

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

You can also find picture postcards at truckstops...excuse me, they want to be called travel centers now.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

• 3 weeks later...

I came to the conclusion recently while I was out at a tourist destination that the best solution would be to take my own pictures and turn them into postcards. (This was mostly because I couldn't find postcards with pictures of things I liked, but the slippery glossy trend was a factor, too.)

We took pictures of scenic things with the digital camera (I had my film camera, too, but we were experimenting) and got about four 4x6 prints at Wal-Mart. Then we bought 4x6 index cards, rubber cemented the two together, and voila! Postcards!

An index card isn't necessarily ideal either, but it isn't glossy! Also, all we could find were colorful index cards, so some of my friends got scenic mountain views with a charming pink reverse.

I do my own postcards, but then, I live in Las Vegas so I love getting the professional cards and then showing what Las Vegas really looks like!

Anyway, we can find them at drug stores, Walmarts closer to the strip (or other tourist destination).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I found some yesterday while goofing off in St. Augustine. There were a couple in the gift shop for the Columbia restaurant. Non-glossy and looked like they would be fountain pen friendly. I didn't buy any because I have no one to send them to. But they were nice and had older pictures of St. Augustine without being overly touristy (probably not a real word).