#1 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 21:56

The words are by Edward Johnston and the lettering devised by Byron J Macdonald.

The combination of very short ascenders and squat, extended lettering, produces an appearance which is very even and clean.

This was written with a Manuscript pen filled with black Parker Quink ink and on Mondi 100 gsm paper.

Ken

Posted Image

Edited by caliken, 30 April 2012 - 13:25.

Available at :   www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

fpn_1396100240__sig_strip_300p.jpg

#2 xxloverxx

xxloverxx

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:52

Anything written by you has an even and clean appearance Ken :notworthy1: Beautiful as always.

#3 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:57

Anything written by you has an even and clean appearance Ken :notworthy1: Beautiful as always.

Thanks, xxloverxx. I'm glad that you like it.

Ken

#4 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 03 May 2012 - 23:06

Ken, please teach my laser printer to print as beautifully as you do!
John

#5 tdzb36

tdzb36

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 00:05

Nice! :thumbup: I find it has Insular‘s style!

#6 Nimmireth

Nimmireth

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 15:39

I've spent the last few years improving my penmanship, but each time I see a new script, I set out to change my handwriting again. Italic has not worked well for me because I write fat letters. But this Roman letting, this I could do.

Do you have any pointers for someone trying to develop a pleasing, quick and feminine (cursive) writing style?

#7 Cerbeos

Cerbeos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 18:44

I've spent the last few years improving my penmanship, but each time I see a new script, I set out to change my handwriting again.

I have the same problem (On top of a lack of patience :()!

Seeing Caliken's work on here just makes me even more upset haha.

As always, beautiful work Caliken!
Posted Image

#8 katim

katim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:02

Posted Image

While studying this beautiful piece of work, it suddenly struck me that I was admiring 'printing' and not a handwritten cursive script. It made me regret the somewhat snide comments I made in another thread, referring to printed scripts as what many of us older members remember as the lessons of primary school, before growing up and joining up our letters! This is a long way from that juvenile lettering, but it is still printing, in the sense that it's not cursive. I suspect that a great many of us wish their handwriting could look like this and, if so, would happily return to printing! Well done, Ken, for continuing to bring light to our discussions and beauty to our eyes!

Edited by katim, 05 May 2012 - 09:04.

#9 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 22:21

While studying this beautiful piece of work, it suddenly struck me that I was admiring 'printing' and not a handwritten cursive script. It made me regret the somewhat snide comments I made in another thread, referring to printed scripts as what many of us older members remember as the lessons of primary school, before growing up and joining up our letters! This is a long way from that juvenile lettering, but it is still printing, in the sense that it's not cursive. I suspect that a great many of us wish their handwriting could look like this and, if so, would happily return to printing! Well done, Ken, for continuing to bring light to our discussions and beauty to our eyes!

Ken -

Thanks for your comments.

I responded in exactly the same way as yourself, to printing as "juvenile lettering" and I now find that I am contradicting myself (not for the first time, I'm sure!)

I came across this style and like it a lot, so I'm guilty as charged!

Ken

Edited by caliken, 05 May 2012 - 22:21.

#10 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 22:31

Nimmireth -

If, as you say, you like fat letters, the only suggestions I can make, are to space the letters quite closely together, use a fairly broad nib in relation to the chosen 'x' height (to add strength) and think 'wide' as you are writing!

When practicing this style, use 'tramlines'. In other words, lined paper for the top and bottom of the lettering (baseline & waistline) to keep the writing even. Lines which are 4mm or 5mm apart are fine.

Ken

Edited by caliken, 05 May 2012 - 22:37.

#11 Italicist

Italicist

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 22:09

These are beautifully consistent and legible letters -- as your letters always are, good sir, no matter what the script!

#12 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:03

I must have got a reject Manuscript pen cause mine don't write like that!

Very nice Ken!
Posted Image
Courtesy Prvt. Toter: Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:26

Posted Image
Posted Image
Courtesy Prvt. Toter: Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Cerbeos

Cerbeos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2012 - 00:12

Ken, do you have any videos of your work with different hands? The only way I can get anything to look remotely presentable is by taking forever on each and every word.

Obviously part of the lack of speed on my part is the lack of experience, but just curious to how fast the pro can go!
Posted Image

#15 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2012 - 14:24

Ken, do you have any videos of your work with different hands? The only way I can get anything to look remotely presentable is by taking forever on each and every word.

Obviously part of the lack of speed on my part is the lack of experience, but just curious to how fast the pro can go!

The DVD shown in my signature (below) comprises demonstrations of six alphabets followed by short text examples of each. The styles are :
Copperplate : Cursive Italic : Half-Uncial : Formal Italic : Foundational : Blackletter.

However, this may not be what you're looking for, as the writing is at a moderate pace, well short of note-taking handwriting.
IMO to be of most value, it is necessary for the writing to be at a pace which can be studied. To write too fast on a demonstration video, is of limited value.

Having said that, these styles and techniques can be learned and speeded up, and some can be developed as personal handwriting.

Ken

Edited by caliken, 12 May 2012 - 14:25.

#16 Gcouch

Gcouch

What can't Ducktape fix?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 20:48

Looks great. It's funny, I use a manuscript pen and Parker Quink as well. Haven't used the, in awhile, but now I think I will…
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../ BROFIST
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(

#17 thomps000

thomps000

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2012 - 20:24

When I see writing like that, I find it amazing that it was done by hand. I'm pretty sure my printer has more mistakes.