Airmail 69 A

hari317

The Airmail pen company need little introduction, they are probably the most well known Pen manufacturer in India and their hand turned Acrylic transparent barrel pens(aka sheet pen in the local market) are very popular, however the caps and sections on the pens are hand compression molded.

In the olden days Airmail used to manufacture completely lathe turned ebonite pens. In the same tradition, they have introduced a new completely lathe turned pen but made of swirled Acrylic instead. I was shown these pens by my local pen shop and of course I immediately bought a couple, this is my effort to document and record this model on FPN as well. This model is simply named the 69A, A for Acrylic. The shape and size are similar to the 69T model. The pen is ED filled.

The pen is step up from their regular 69TL and 71J/T pens, the pens are individually packed in a black cardboard box with foam inserts, the lid is held with an elastic band. Simplistic.

Packing:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7013.jpg

Two Colors:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7015.jpg

Product label:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7016.jpg

Elastic band removed:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7018.jpg

The pen inside the box:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7019.jpg

Red and Blue:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7020.jpg

Uncapped:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7021.jpg

Closeups: Color coordinated sections, blue on the blue pen, black on the red pen. Monotone steel colored Fine nibs are fitted to the pens.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7022.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7023.jpg

Cap Jewels:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7024.jpg

Cap band Engraving:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/Wality%2069A/IMG_7025.jpg

Usually the cap bands are in-situ molded with the caps. But since this cap is also turned on a lathe, the rings are press fitted later to the cap lip.

It was nice to see Airmail come out with some new designs and pens, it means that things are going well for them in the otherwise bleak FP sector in India.

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• WDP4BAAZ

• mehandiratta

• gabbur

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Hari. Thanks for acquainting us to the latest pen from Airmail.

Good Photos (as usual). Is it an ED? How it writes.

Hope I could get some of these pens from local shops here in my city soon.

-saji

Hi Hari. Thanks for acquainting us to the latest pen from Airmail.

Good Photos (as usual). Is it an ED? How it writes.

Hope I could get some of these pens from local shops here in my city soon.

-saji

I like the red one. I cannot see a seam on the end so I am assuming it is an ED.

Thanks! yes, it is an ED pen, I will edit my review to include this. The pens write well.

Thank you for the review with excellent photos.

Thank you.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

thanks Hari for the review.

Can someone tell me if I can buy these in " medium" or b" broad" nib size ?

Thanks!

Wality makes medium nibs but for broad you will have to go for an aftermarket replacement. The wality nib has a 28mm length and accepts a 1/4inch(6.35mm) feeder. So if you take a Bock/JoWo #6 nib and cut 7mm off the tail, it will be a perfect fit to this Wality.

Hari

Edited by hari317

• 1 month later...

Dear Hari !

As you know I am a Wality addict, I liked new acrylic marbled versions of 69.

Thanks for your share

Dear Ali,

Thanks! The nibs on the 69A are much better than the stock yellow monotone wality nib.

Best

hari

Thanks Hari !

I seen. I polished mine Wality nibs. And they are now nice writers.

Dear Hari !

As you know I am a Wality addict, I liked new acrylic marbled versions of 69.

Thanks for your share

Dear Ali,

Thanks! The nibs on the 69A are much better than the stock yellow monotone wality nib.

Best

hari

I've been using a 69A this week, and (once again) I have to agree with hari. It's a splendid writer--quite different from the few other Wality and Airmail pens I've tried, which I would say were good writers, sometimes with a little work. The color changes and new swirls appear or vanish as the light changes, so you can get fascinated with the pen and forget what you were writing. And, even though I intentionally only partially filled the pen, I have seen no bad eyedropper behavior so far, and the pen is nearly empty.

This one changes my impression of the Airmail brand.

ron

I've been using a 69A this week, and (once again) I have to agree with hari. It's a splendid writer--quite different from the few other Wality and Airmail pens I've tried, which I would say were good writers, sometimes with a little work. The color changes and new swirls appear or vanish as the light changes, so you can get fascinated with the pen and forget what you were writing. And, even though I intentionally only partially filled the pen, I have seen no bad eyedropper behavior so far, and the pen is nearly empty.

This one changes my impression of the Airmail brand.

ron

Ron, I am really happy to hear that the pen is doing well. It is heartening to see the enthusiasm for Indian made pens.

Best

Hari

Hari was kind enough to send me one red 69A last month. I have been using it till then. It is an excellent writer and looks so attractive. Thank You Hari.

-saji

Where can you find the 69A online? I had a quick look around and couldn't find them.

Thanks

Where can you find the 69A online? I had a quick look around and couldn't find them.

Thanks

These are hard to find, even here in India, I have listed a few in the classifieds if you are interested. Follow the link in my signature.

Hari

Edited by hari317

These are hard to find, even here in India, I have listed a few in the classifieds if you are interested. Follow the link in my signature.

Hari

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hari

Thanks, I'll have a look.

By the way, Hari is wonderful to do business with. No affiliation, but a repeat customer.

ron

Love the look of the red swirl pen, but I'd be concerned about the nib being scratchy. Recently I got some inexpensive-ish Indian pens and there was a lot of variance w/r/t the nibs...some were fine, some quite smooth, and some quite scratchy. Some do not seem to tolerate "drier" inks like J.Herbin either.

Love the look of the red swirl pen, but I'd be concerned about the nib being scratchy. Recently I got some inexpensive-ish Indian pens and there was a lot of variance w/r/t the nibs...some were fine, some quite smooth, and some quite scratchy. Some do not seem to tolerate "drier" inks like J.Herbin either.

The 69A is considerably more expensive in the local market as compared to the other Wality/Airmail pens and they have correspondingly used a better grade nib.

With inexpensive pens you can get a better ride if you align the tips and adjust the flow DIY. The Wality factory adjusts the flow dry suitable for a fine nib, as that is what is the local preference.

BTW which Indian pen brands have you tried, if you can tell the specifics, meybe we can help you get a better ride.

Best

hari

• 2 weeks later...

That was a very good review Hari.

I have a 69T in green color. I have been using it for a week but i find the nib to be very scrathy.

Is there a option of changing the nib to medium if so what are the option.

BTW I am Bangalore and would be obliged for guidance.

post-88594-0-27950300-1342114410.jpg