#1 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:18

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice, please. Could anyone point me in the direction of disassembly / restoration advice for a Parker Duofold NS? I just bought one from eBay but the brass button won't depress and I can't unscrew the filler mechanism from the main body to see what the problem might be. I've tried searching online without success!
Thanks in advance.

#2 northlodge

northlodge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:57

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice, please. Could anyone point me in the direction of disassembly / restoration advice for a Parker Duofold NS? I just bought one from eBay but the brass button won't depress and I can't unscrew the filler mechanism from the main body to see what the problem might be. I've tried searching online without success!
Thanks in advance.

There are a number of uk pen restorers, Eckiethump usually gets recommended on FPN. He seems willing to take on most work & has a reputation for turning items around quickly.

I do not normally take on work for others, but If you are based in the south then contact me through my website & I will try and help.

#3 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 15:14

Thanks in advance.

There are a number of uk pen restorers, Eckiethump usually gets recommended on FPN. He seems willing to take on most work & has a reputation for turning items around quickly.

I do not normally take on work for others, but If you are based in the south then contact me through my website & I will try and help.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I 'm based up North and quite keen to understand the mechanics and disassembly procedures for my new pens. I've had success with a Vacumatic and a couple of Lever Fillers but I can't find even basic advice for the Duofold NS! Does the section remove? Does the filler mechanism screw out of the barrel (like a Vac). Am stumped! Any advice welcome.....

#4 northlodge

northlodge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 15:43

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I 'm based up North and quite keen to understand the mechanics and disassembly procedures for my new pens. I've had success with a Vacumatic and a couple of Lever Fillers but I can't find even basic advice for the Duofold NS! Does the section remove? Does the filler mechanism screw out of the barrel (like a Vac). Am stumped! Any advice welcome.....

The NS is what we now regard as a standard button filler. (are you mistaking the model for the AF??).

Any further comment is best reserved for the repirs forum

#5 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:11

The NS is what we now regard as a standard button filler. (are you mistaking the model for the AF??).

Any further comment is best reserved for the repirs forum

Apologies, I don't know how to shift this thread to the repair forum. The pen, though, is definitely the NS with the brass button beneath an end cap sporting gold filled trim and black jewel

#6 northlodge

northlodge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:33

Then the answer to the earlier question is yes the section unscrews, the button can be wiggled out, and the pressure bar will drop out whilst you fit a new ink sac.

#7 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:50

Then the answer to the earlier question is yes the section unscrews, the button can be wiggled out, and the pressure bar will drop out whilst you fit a new ink sac.

Thanks for your response. I'll concentrate on trying to remove the section for now and then take it from there. Is it possible that there could be shellac or similar on the threads? I ask because the section and body seem absolutely stuck rock-solid!

#8 Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:23

Thanks for your response. I'll concentrate on trying to remove the section for now and then take it from there. Is it possible that there could be shellac or similar on the threads? I ask because the section and body seem absolutely stuck rock-solid!

It's possible a previous owner or repair person has shellacked the section threads, Try some gentle heat from a hairdryer or heat gun on the section to body area of the pen, don't get crazy, keep it cool enough to touch (140 degrees or less), let it cool and repeat if required. Also, try wrapping the section with a rubber band so you have something to grip. They are standard right hand threads on an NS.

Cheers, Ted

#9 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:00

Thanks for all the advice. I just managed to release the section using very warm water which suggests there was shellac present but, perhaps surprisingly, the section wasn't threaded - merely friction fit.

My next question:

Once the section was removed the pressure bar fell out and I wasn't prepared enough to notice which way out it came! So, the pressure bar has one end that will sit flush with the pen body and one end that is angled inward. I'm guessing that the angled end of the pressure bar (which has a scooped appearance) fits onto the brass button. Am i right about that?

Thanks again!

#10 Leeavison

Leeavison

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:11

Ah, OK - I figured it out by trial and error. The angled end of the pressure bar fits with the brass button and the other end (which is flat and 'spatula shaped') sits against the section in the barrel. Just need to get a new sac and i should be good to go. Looking forward to writing with this pen. It has such a huge, pristine nib! Thanks again for your assistance.