Just Received My Twsbi Vac 700

dannzeman

Some of my doubts:

1) Has the clip a spring inside the cap? And is the clip more flexible than the 540 counterpart?

2) Does the cap screw-unscrew better or smoother than 540?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannzeman

• ticoun

• SamCapote

• amberleadavis

Some of my doubts:

1) Has the clip a spring inside the cap? And is the clip more flexible than the 540 counterpart?

1) The clip looks like the 540/530 clips in that they go into the cap, instead of going into the plastic it goes into the metal ring around the cap. It is more flexible than the 530 but not as flexible as the 540.

2) The cap is much smoother. Basically instead of having some give and being able to screw on super tight or a little loose it screws down to like a shelf, so there is a fixed position for the cap when it is closed.

Some of my doubts:

1) clip should be solid brass/metal, spring inside for the clip. I'd link you to the TWSBI forums that had all the parts details, but it appears the forum was taken down....

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

To what degree can the 700 be serviced? For instance, does the nib unit unscrew?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

To what degree can the 700 be serviced? For instance, does the nib unit unscrew?

Nib units unscrew, as there will be replacement units available for sale, but I think that's pretty much it.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Nice video review ,dan! However you aren't doing correctly the trick to get a full fill. You need to pull all the piston rod and push to expell all the air. Hold on that position and put the nib again into the ink. Push the remaining part of the piston rod.

Edited: I agree with you, the clip looks pretty nice! Really remembers the Lamy 2k clip!

Edited by fabrimedeiros

Nice video review ,dan! However you aren't doing correctly the trick to get a full fill. You need to pull all the piston rod and push to expell all the air. Hold on that position and put the nib again into the ink. Push the remaining part of the piston rod.

Thanks for the correction. I'll have to give that a try.

I just flushed and filled mine (in an attempt to use a sample that didn't go well AT ALL) and when I did it I did it slow cause I was using a bottle of Noodler's that was pretty full and with the vac filling system it blows bubbles in the ink, when I did it this way my barrel filled to about the 3/4's mark like yours did when you filled it and "re-filled." That will honestly probably be enough for me on a day to day basis. I basically code invoices, fill out this book for keeping track of temperatures and what not and then write some notes to the person who comes in after me. So probably a few 8.5x11 pages a day. I tend to be able to get several days out of my 540 so I am expecting the same from this. I'll be using the ink in there now till it runs out to see.

A couple of observations: First, looking at the pen when it's tipped point-up after filling, it is full; the entire swept space of the piston is full of water. With the point downward, the fluid runs into the non-swept spaces and gives the appearance of an incomplete fill.

Second, the old Sheaffer instructions say to run the piston almost all the way forward before sinking the point. This avoids bubbles in the ink, since the piston has ejected almost as much air as it can. I expect (being somewhat more distant from the shipping point) that this will be easier with the TWSBI because it's easier to see how close to the break-point the piston seal is than in the old Sheaffers.

Edited to add:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Vacuum.jpg

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Beautiful pen. I'm not sure that I'm a fan of the brushed look on the clip versus the rest of the hardware being polished. It looks out of place to me. Maybe it looks better in person, though. I'll reserve my judgment. Does anyone know if TWSBI is going to be represented at the Chicago Pen Show this weekend. I'd like to see one in person if I can.

Thanks for all of the pics and video.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

Oh, it has a big step from the barrell to the section. Well, I'll try to handel one before I buy one.

Thanks for the video! I was going to pass on this pen - now of course I want one. I like that the post is better, and I actually appreciate the brushed clip. I'd love to see a whole pen with that brushed finish.

A couple of observations: First, looking at the pen when it's tipped point-up after filling, it is full; the entire swept space of the piston is full of water. With the point downward, the fluid runs into the non-swept spaces and gives the appearance of an incomplete fill.

Second, the old Sheaffer instructions say to run the piston almost all the way forward before sinking the point. This avoids bubbles in the ink, since the piston has ejected almost as much air as it can. I expect (being somewhat more distant from the shipping point) that this will be easier with the TWSBI because it's easier to see how close to the break-point the piston seal is than in the old Sheaffers.

Yes! I didn't think of this. Guess I'll try that next time I fill it :) . Thanks!

And I agree Amandaa, I would love to see one with all of the accents brushed like the clip.

Just got mine in the mail and the things a beaut. Filled it up with some R&K Verdigris and gave it a good run across some various papers (M nib). I'll see if I can't whip up some various pics in a bit but my initial thoughts on the pen are (1) love inking the pen and cleaning it, (2) no real problems with ink flow, (3) the nib writes very, very smoothly.

The clip is sturdy, the cap has a shelf, and the smoke color looks great.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

http://jamesthebard.net/files/signature_small.jpg

I put together a little video. What do you think?

I'll tell you how good your video was, especially showing how it posted so much farther down and how the two lengths (posted) compared to each other (540 & Vac700) once posted. For all my previous "questioning," I just "pre-ordered" one thanks to your video.

One fine point question comparing the knob mechanism to my Pilot 823, if you don't mind....with the Pilot 823, you can unscrew the filler knob to release the stopper, and the posted cap covers it while in use, so I can write 30 pages without interruption. Does the Vac700 allow you to post it with the knob unscrewed, or does it run into that "stop" in the cap you showed at 7:10, preventing it posting securely on that metal band? If so, I would probably get out my Dremel and remove some of that internal stop plastic in the cap, and then be able to use it like I do the Pilot 823 with the ink channel unblocked.

Also as others have just said, you are not doing the 2nd filling correctly. Watch

(at 2:34). Unlike how Dizzy is holding the pen, I recommend wrapping a kleenex around the nib/feed, and cradling the lower pen body in your left hand (thumb holding it against index as fingers are made into a fist position).

Then use a "giving an injection/shot" positioning with your right hand for better advancement rod control. You have the extended filling knob touching the base or middle of thumb, while at the same time gripping the back of the pen body is between your index and middle fingers (between the 1st & 2nd knuckle joints). The fingers of your right hand are further supported holding against the left hand This lets you advance the rod to get out all the air with fine control, and you keep going until you see ink on the kleenex.

Now with all the air out, hold that plunger rod position, move to the ink bottle and finish the downstroke which should fill it nearly 100% as it does with the Pilot 823.

A BIGGER reason to use the "giving a shot" technique is that you have better control once the plunger reaches the end stroke so you don't jam the nib into the ink glass wall as Dizzy did at 3:18, despite her printed warning. With the "giving a shot" holding technique your advancing thumb pressure is against the fingers of the same supported hand. With Dizzy's technique, and your technique at 4:40 using your index to advance, you don't have as good of a grip/control.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I put together a little video. What do you think?

I'll tell you how good your video was, especially showing how it posted so much farther down and how the two lengths (posted) compared to each other (540 & Vac700) once posted. For all my previous "questioning," I just "pre-ordered" one thanks to your video.

I feel like a celebration is in order. :P

One fine point question comparing the knob mechanism to my Pilot 823, if you don't mind....with the Pilot 823, you can unscrew the filler knob to release the stopper, and the posted cap covers it while in use, so I can write 30 pages without interruption. Does the Vac700 allow you to post it with the knob unscrewed, or does it run into that "stop" in the cap you showed at 7:10, preventing it posting securely on that metal band? If so, I would probably get out my Dremel and remove some of that internal stop plastic in the cap, and then be able to use it like I do the Pilot 823 with the ink channel unblocked.

I just checked and when the filling knob is unscrew there's still plenty of space between it and the inner cap.

Also as others have just said, you are not doing the 2nd filling correctly. Watch

(at 2:34). Unlike how Dizzy is holding the pen, I recommend wrapping a kleenex around the nib/feed, and cradling the lower pen body in your left hand (thumb holding it against index as fingers are made into a fist position).

Then use a "giving an injection/shot" positioning with your right hand for better advancement rod control. You have the extended filling knob touching the base or middle of thumb, while at the same time gripping the back of the pen body is between your index and middle fingers (between the 1st & 2nd knuckle joints). The fingers of your right hand are further supported holding against the left hand This lets you advance the rod to get out all the air with fine control, and you keep going until you see ink on the kleenex.

Now with all the air out, hold that plunger rod position, move to the ink bottle and finish the downstroke which should fill it nearly 100% as it does with the Pilot 823.

A BIGGER reason to use the "giving a shot" technique is that you have better control once the plunger reaches the end stroke so you don't jam the nib into the ink glass wall as Dizzy did at 3:18, despite her printed warning. With the "giving a shot" holding technique your advancing thumb pressure is against the fingers of the same supported hand. With Dizzy's technique, and your technique at 4:40 using your index to advance, you don't have as good of a grip/control.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Someone linked to that video in the comments at our website. If I have time before Chicago I'm going to try to update my video.

Very good on all counts! While it is personal preference, I find Dizzy and your ways of holding the pen precariously when advancing the knob increases the risk of jerking the nib into the bottle, so I wouldn't use either as an optimum technique model.

It was especially important for me to be careful with my Custom 823, because I ordered it from Japan with the glorious, soft FA nib installed.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Mine arrived today (smoke, fine). After watching dannzeman's video, I decided to check out the filling using a Visconti Traveling Inkpot.

First thing to note is that there are different editions of the VTI and I don't know if the specifications are different. Mine were purchased in late 2009 or early 2010.

The step on the TWSBI Vac prevents the pen from getting as deep a seal as the Visconti pens, but it does work with careful alignment--and holding on very tight! The piston on the TWSBI operates very smoothly and it doesn't feel as if the pressure is as great as is it. Let's just say that on the first couple of tries, I was very glad I was doing the experiment with clear water.

Anyway, after a few initial experiments, I was able to get a complete non-leaking fill with my VTI. I found that it needed about three rounds of push/pull to get a complete fill.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.