Just Received My Twsbi Vac 700

dannzeman

Not sure that's a crack. I've seen that on lots of feeds in many pics on FPN. I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's not a crack, then what is it? Does it have a functional purpose? i.e. maintaining inflow or something. When you say you've "seen that on lots of feeds in many pics on FPN" are you talking just TWSBI's or multiple manufacturers, multiple pens, all age/vintage ranges?

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannzeman

• ticoun

• SamCapote

• amberleadavis

All sorts of pens/feeds. Only modern though. I seem to recall at least one from Binder with this little line in it. Looks like a cut to me - as if the feed was hacked and no care was taken to avoid cutting the front of the feed. It could be that it is indeed a cut, and a defect, but I know I've seen plenty on here like this.

All sorts of pens/feeds. Only modern though. I seem to recall at least one from Binder with this little line in it. Looks like a cut to me - as if the feed was hacked and no care was taken to avoid cutting the front of the feed. It could be that it is indeed a cut, and a defect, but I know I've seen plenty on here like this.

Interesting...can't say I've seen it before myself. Then again, I have no modern pens, other than my two TWSBI's 530/540.. Also interesting is that "crack/cut" appears to line up directly with the tine slit. Curious.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

I still haven't bought one, but the pen looks better than I though! It seems this pen postes great and balanced, which was my main concern. And the nib is huge, compared to 540, and looks awesome! My new concern now is to know about the material resistence. I really hope the word "crack" will be vanished from vocabulary of Twsbi.

So, how does it posts?

581178_421893081155698_300336763311331_1674827_484830961_n.jpg

Yes, it posts just fine. Capped, the 700 is about 1/4" longer than the 540. Posted, it's actually shorter than the 540. With no cap attached the 700 is like 1-2mm longer.

How well does it post? Does it wobble around if you push it side to side? What part of the inside of the cap contacts the barrel? (Rim, threads, or something further in.)

Thanks

If this pen only fills 1/2 to 2/3 with ink, I am wondering if its capacity, in practice, is any greater than the Diamond 540s?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405942_330933000282154_117058861669570_889466_1451479723_n.jpg

Photo from TWSBI's facebook page, you can see a single fill the 540 holds more ink.. but the full capacity of the vac is higher.

I'm surprised they included the wrench! I was under the impression that the v700s were supposed to be non-user serviceable?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

If this pen only fills 1/2 to 2/3 with ink, I am wondering if its capacity, in practice, is any greater than the Diamond 540s?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405942_330933000282154_117058861669570_889466_1451479723_n.jpg

Photo from TWSBI's facebook page, you can see a single fill the 540 holds more ink.. but the full capacity of the vac is higher.

I'm surprised they included the wrench! I was under the impression that the v700s were supposed to be non-user serviceable?

I would guess it is simpler and cheaper over the long run just leave it in, then having a separate process for making the box. You don't have to worry about which box to use.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

As much as I was looking forward to this pen, I actually think that the 540 bodies looks better. Naturally I am not referring to the different filling systems etc. However, I do like the larger nib of the Vac700. Probs have to get one too:D

Got mine today too. I probably won't fill and write with it until tomorrow. Over all good pen though. The posting is much better than the 540/530. It doesn't wobble. In some of the pics you can see a metal ring around the bottom of the screw part (where the VAC filler unscrews to fill it with ink), pretty sure that is where it posts to. Because of this it actually feels stable posted. The one drawback is that the balance sucks when posted IMHO, it is super back heavy. To be fair I am judging this before I ink it up.

Do you guys want me to ink it up with J. Herbin 1670 like my diamond 540 is inked with? They both are extra fine. I could also compare it to my Micarta but it has Noodler's Turquoise EEL in it and I just filled it? Let me know and I will post some about it tomorrow with some pictures.

Do you guys want me to ink it up with J. Herbin 1670 like my diamond 540 is inked with? They both are extra fine. I could also compare it to my Micarta but it has Noodler's Turquoise EEL in it and I just filled it? Let me know and I will post some about it tomorrow with some pictures.

I'd be really interested in the 540 EF vs Vac 700 EF :thumbup:

I'd love to see that comparison too please.

And more pics?

I'm getting desperate to get mine from TheWritingDesk here in the UK, so pretty please indulge me? :puddle:

Alright well I was going to fill up my new VAC 700 with Noodler's X-Feather. Unfortunately the barrel is too large and will not fit in the Goulet's pen sample vial :( so I had to drop back and punt. So here are some pictures (as they are worth more than I can type :) ) .

I'll start with the 540 pictures, I just wrote some random thoughts about my 540 experiences;

The 540 capped with a writing sample;

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4366/diamond540cappedwriting.jpg

The VAC 700 with a writing sample;

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6290/vac700cappedwriting.jpg

Here is the VAC 700 uncapped with the same sample;

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4686/vac700uncappedwriting.jpg

Because Sam is one of my favorite people on here (he has helped me a lot with his various post [pun intended] in the time I have been lurking :) ) here is a posted 700 next to my writing sample;

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/179/vac700postedwriting.jpg

I know this has been shown, but here is a comparison of the 540 and 700 extra fine nibs;

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/170/700and540nibcompare.jpg

This is the metal ring area I was talking about where I am fairly sure that the cap posts to;

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1107/postarea.jpg

Finally, here is one of my favorite parts, the clip. It is like a rough aluminum-ish finish and it is really cool, hard to describe in pictures and words, but definitely one of the cooler design parts IMHO;

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6034/vac700clipdetail.jpg

So that is all I have right now. If you want to see more please let me know. I am actually a little disappoint that the barrel is too fat to fit in the sample vials as I was hoping to run something different ink-wise in this pen (I like changing it up almost daily). So if anyone has suggestions on filling it with samples from the Goulet's (those are the vials I have) please feel free to share.

Thanks for the detailed description.

Sounds like a perfect posting pen to me. I hold my pens behind the threads so if the balance is further back than most that might not be as big a problem as it would be for other people, I can always trim down the clip (or remove it) if I want to take some weight off.

Alright well I was going to fill up my new VAC 700 with Noodler's X-Feather. Unfortunately the barrel is too large and will not fit in the Goulet's pen sample vial :( so I had to drop back and punt. So here are some pictures (as they are worth more than I can type :) ) .

I'll start with the 540 pictures, I just wrote some random thoughts about my 540 experiences;

[clip]

So that is all I have right now. If you want to see more please let me know. I am actually a little disappoint that the barrel is too fat to fit in the sample vials as I was hoping to run something different ink-wise in this pen (I like changing it up almost daily). So if anyone has suggestions on filling it with samples from the Goulet's (those are the vials I have) please feel free to share.

Have you noticed any staining of the plastic with the 1670 on either the 540 or 700?

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

[clip]

Have you noticed any staining of the plastic with the 1670 on either the 540 or 700?

Not yet. I just got the 1670 on Wednesday this past week. So my 540 has been filled since then. I'll update you on when I run out of ink, but it may be a while since I will be using my VAC 700 a lot right now. I would also say that it will be a good test cause my 540 will sit for a bit with the ink in the barrel. I will say that when I filled the 700 I wiped the nib off with a Kleenex and I actually had to wipe it off with water so the nib didn't look reddish (like a reddish hue). The bottle of ink did come with a warning so I expect it is likely that the ink will end up staining if left for a long period of time. If it does I have some stuff to flush it to see if that removed it, or I may end up having to soak it? But we will cross that bridge if we come to it :) . Oh and I LOVE the color of the 1670. If it stains my 700 I am probably less likely to notice due to the smoke color :) .

How is the balance when the pen is posted?

It's definitely back heavy but I don't think it feels as back heavy as the 540. I prefer the way the 700 capped sits and feels in my hand compared to the 540 capped.

I can only speak for the 540; I had some 1670 in mine for MONTHS, without a hint of staining.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for posting your first impressions of the Vac 700 Angry__Panda and dannzeman.

Alright well I was going to fill up my new VAC 700 with Noodler's X-Feather. Unfortunately the barrel is too large and will not fit in the Goulet's pen sample vial.......

-snip-

The ID of a Goulet's ink sample vial measures 14mm. Would someone please post the diameter of the section just above the metal ring. Thanks!

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg