#1 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:15

Greetings FPN,
I feel compelled to write a review for the titanium nib to express my gratitude to Mr. Bock for giving me the nib.
The nib is now fitted in a Muji fountain pen. You can refer to this review for the pen itself. I love its minimalistic design and the appropriate weight and size. The original nib performs well, but I find it a bit boring so I tried to change the nib after I knew it's a generic one. I bought a Bock EF steel nib a few months ago. It is very nice but it is gold plated and does not look attractive with the aluminium barrel.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I took out the nib and switched it.

Posted Image
Beautiful nib.
Note that the feed in the nib unit is longer and I used the original one. I did not align it well before I took the picture.

Performance (9/10)
Posted Image
Smooth, no starting problem, simply what one expects from Bock.
Max thickness about 1mm, one mark lost as I am comparing it to vintage nibs.

Conclusion
I hope to see the titanium nibs available in retail, as well as in the TWSBIs!

#2 rockydoggy

rockydoggy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:45

Fascinating . . . . I have one of these Muji pens and I think it's been inked continuously for well over a decade now. It's a very reliable, sturdy, and comfortable pen--one of my favorites. Like you, I have no complaints at all about the stock nib (a wettish medium); it never occurred to me to switch it out. Some questions: What size Bock nib fits the Muji? Do you have a sense of how much the titanium nib will cost when it becomes available?

#3 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 14:52

You can check the dimensions here.
It is #180.

I did not have much idea about the price, this post helps.

#4 ink mixer

ink mixer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 00:29

Please pardon my ignorance, but would it be possible to order a titanium nib that would fit a TWSBI?

#5 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:58

Stipula has pens with titanium nibs and you can buy their nib units. These nibs probably fit the Vac 700(correct me if I am wrong). This is the only way of ordering I know.

Why don't we let speedy know the demand of titanium nibs, so that we can get them easily and with the TWSBI logo? In this post he mentioned the titanium nibs.

Edited by phisgr, 29 April 2012 - 03:13.

#6 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:29

So, a Bock #180 Titan just fits right into the Muji pen? Wow! For a $10-15 pen, that's great.
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#7 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:41

So, a Bock #180 Titan just fits right into the Muji pen? Wow! For a $10-15 pen, that's great.

Yes, the titanium nib even matches the pen better than the original shiny nib. :drool:
However, getting the nib may be difficult. Gladly I am lucky enough. :lol:

#8 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:37

Ok, I'll bite... Why is it so difficult to get? How does one get that nib?
--

#9 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:45

Ok, I'll bite... Why is it so difficult to get? How does one get that nib?

It is difficult to get as it is not available in retail. (Yes, I am Captain Obvious.)
The (shown) demand of it is not high enough, probably.

I sent an email asking how can I get it. After she knew I am from Hong Kong, she told me Mr. Bock would give me a sample when he is in HK for the gifts and premium fair. :notworthy1:

Some pen turners have the titanium nibs, perhaps you can ask if they can sell one to you, but I cannot be sure.

#10 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,805 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:44

If Im not wrong, Vac700 has number #6 size nibs. If Twsbi could bring these Ti nibs for Vac 700, no doubt I would bought one. However, because #6 are big nibs, I supose it will cost over $100 (only the nib) :glare:

#11 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:34

It is difficult to get as it is not available in retail. (Yes, I am Captain Obvious.)

I figured that was it, but then I wasn't sure. You'd think that someone would retail Bock nibs... Do you believe that the Titanium nib will actually be flexible enough to be a flex nib?
--

#12 phisgr

phisgr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:58

I figured that was it, but then I wasn't sure. You'd think that someone would retail Bock nibs... Do you believe that the Titanium nib will actually be flexible enough to be a flex nib?

Bock nibs are available in pen turning stores, but I have yet to find one that supplies titanium nibs.
And about the flexibility, the max thickness is 1mm, the same as my symphony 913 from terim. Perhaps this is only semiflex to some, but I'd say it is expressive enough.

#13 Daemos

Daemos

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:41

I have a stipula founain pen with a their Titaninum flex nib...it must be my favourite pen, if I could get a similar nib in a vanishing point it would IMO be close to my ideal fountain pen.