Masculine Pens

Soer

I think men can use almost any kind of pen with a few exceptions: Nurse pens, pink pens, really tiny, thin pens. Women, on the other hand would not look ridiculous using any kind of pen, I think.

This distinction is paralleled in Western clothing. Women can wear suits or pants, men cannot (successfully) wear dresses or skirts (yeah, I know, you're dying to mention kilts - my dad was from Glasgow, never put on a kilt in his life).

I'm just saying.

I think you're right, women (in our western culture) have more freedom in choosing their outfit and "accessories". At least in the eyes of men, I think.

And a woman writing with a MB 146/149, or a large Visconti, well that is almost sexy to me. laugh.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andybiotic

• 79spitfire

• Brian K

• Scrawler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah.... TWSBI Micarta. Varuna Rajan. Aurora Talentum (full-sized black, not the skinny pink one!). Bexley Corona (preferably in Summer Sunset orange). And then there's my Edisons, but you can have an Edison made to look like anything, so I'm not sure that really counts!

The Parker "51" seems to me like a manly-styled pen, despite not being burly or oversized. By comparison the Sheaffer Snorkel seems a bit girly. Although, the color and trim makes a big difference. A pastel colored Snorkel is girly, whereas a black one with the steel cap is not so much.

• 5 months later...

:roflmho:

I love the question, and the little Southpark figure next to it.

Although I agree with all the posts here (there's a picture somewhere with John LeCarré using a MB), I don't think fountain pens are anything but the mark of a dandy. Which suits me fine.

OH! I forgot. There is Sylvester Stallone's design for Montegrappa:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-182841S

Need I say more? :headsmack:

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

:roflmho:

I love the question, and the little Southpark figure next to it.

Although I agree with all the posts here (there's a picture somewhere with John LeCarré using a MB), I don't think fountain pens are anything but the mark of a dandy. Which suits me fine.

OH! I forgot. There is Sylvester Stallone's design for Montegrappa:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-182841S

Need I say more? :headsmack:

I beg to differ, my good man. A "dandy" by definition is one who is overly concerned with personal appearance. True fountain pen aficionados are those who find joy and pleasure in the fine writing and drawing experience fountain pens have to offer. While the appearance of the pen is certainly an ancillary benefit, it tends to be simply that.

Just noticing this recently revived old thread. It doesn't look like anyone mentioned the Schrade "Tactical" pen so far here, although it's been discussed elsewhere on this forum. I have one, but because I have so many fountain pens inked anyway, have only used it as a rollerball so far.

Actually, for everyday carry, I favor pens that are no larger than they need to be, my Esterbrook SJs or Pelikan M205 for example. Is their practicality masculine or feminine? :hmm1:

Maybe my Pilot Petit 1s would be the most feminine, as the word "cute" comes to mind. Still a good pen, not in current use because...did I mention I have too many inked already?

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Pink Passaporto

Because it takes a real man to carry a pink pen and not care and at the same time support the Women (and occasionally men) who have, have had, or will have breast cancer...and the fight to treat, save lives and prevent it.

Yup...I own and proudly use one!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Almost all pens made by Lamy are masculine. Some that are more unisex could be the Safari, Vista, Studio, logo, depending on color and finish, but most are masculine. Especially the Lamy 2000.

The Rotring 600 and 900 series pens are absolutely masculine.

Edited by flight878

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

I think men can use almost any kind of pen with a few exceptions: Nurse pens, pink pens, really tiny, thin pens. Women, on the other hand would not look ridiculous using any kind of pen, I think.

Hmm... I'm suddenly not sure what to think about my boyfriend's dainty little Sailor Chalana. In my opinion, even though it's the skinniest little pen you can imagine, it suits him, he's comfortable with it and he uses it well.

Oh well, I guess it's not the size that matters etc, etc. ;)

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

I would simply state that big pens are masculine, small pens are more feminine. If the pen in question is small and pink(and decorated with little hearts), then it must be made for a woman.

The trouble is i like smaller pens too, though not pink or with hearts, i`m more into floral motifs myself. Meanwhile, i understand some women prefer pens that are big and black, like Montblanc.

Based on that, i think it`s safe to assume that even if a pen is supposedly designed for the "feminine market"(ex. lady sheaffer, waterman ici et la, etc) it`s hard to actually tell if that pen is "masculine" or "feminine" just by looking at it.

Most of the times, the difference consists only in a small reduction in size- and that`s it.

My benchmark pen/unisex pen is the vintage pen that had been made for hours of writing (e.g. Parker 51, Shaeffer Snorkel, Pelikan 400, vintage MB 144). IMO those pens are unisex pens of medium size and medium weight.

Masculine traits (in comparison with the benchmark): large, thick, heavy, minimalistic design/pattern (form follows function), monochrome with dark cold colours

Feminine traits (in comparison with the benchmark): small, narrow, playful or flashy design/bling, warm and light colours, multicoloured

Being a fan of minimalistic and functional design I prefer unisex or masculine pens if they are medium sized and lightweight (= suitable for long writing sessions). And in a professional environment (or any other) they fly under the radar.

Yeah, Freud would.

http://www.pentrace.net/sw_images/Midland/BigPen.jpg

What on earth is that?! :yikes:

Kim Jong Il holding a regular sized fountain pen.

:roflmho: :roflmho:

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

MB 149, Lamy 2000, and Lamy Studio matte black. Traditional and from respected names. The stuidio is especially heavy, so it feels particularly manly I suppose :hmm1:

I think it's funny that in this day in age we have to classify fountain pens as masculine and feminine seeing as they are just an object. I'd also like to point out that ring top pens, many of which are now considered women's pens were also carried by men back in the day in vest pockets on watch chains.

I can't say I have ever bought a pen because it classifies more with one gender more than the other, I just buy what appeals to me. tongue.gif Take that marketers! (also I'd like to say you've failed when you try and say pink, pastel or blingy/sparkly is what I'm supposed to like).

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I think it's funny that in this day in age we have to classify fountain pens as masculine and feminine seeing as they are just an object. I'd also like to point out that ring top pens, many of which are now considered women's pens were also carried by men back in the day in vest pockets on watch chains.

I can't say I have ever bought a pen because it classifies more with one gender more than the other, I just buy what appeals to me. tongue.gif Take that marketers! (also I'd like to say you've failed when you try and say pink, pastel or blingy/sparkly is what I'm supposed to like).

What she said.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

" la plume", feminine.... "qalam" also feminine, (Urdu and Hindi, from Arabic) anyone know any other languages with noun gender?

Looks to me like ALL pens are in fact, feminine. I don't have a problem with that.

Yeah, and let's make sure the pen is heavy enough to aid in any knuckle-dragging necessary. Maybe heavy enough to cause mouth-breathing.

Geez, when are we going to give up these ancient concepts?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Aurora Talentums are probably the most masculine pens I own. Especially the Black/Chrome

http://justdaveyb.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pi136c_tn.jpg

As to feminine probably my Sailor Sapporo Lame Purple/Rhodium (Lame = Sparkly)

http://justdaveyb.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pi134c_tn.jpg

Both these pens look great! Is the Aurora large?