2013 Writers Series

jar

A Joyce would be cool, but how would they make a pen that was intentionally done to be hard to understand?

Right? "Now how do I get ink into this thing...? Here? No.... Here? What? Wait.... Sheesh, where does the ink go?" *Struggles*

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karmakoda

• jar

• BrandonA

• Pen Nut

The Writer's Edition list is light on Authors that are women, Agatha and Virginia?

Jane Austen

Pearl S Buck

Harper Lee

random muddle of thought....

I have to wonder how Jonathan Swift trumped Robert Louis Stevenson.......?

The Writer's Edition list is light on Authors that are women, Agatha and Virginia?

Jane Austen

Pearl S Buck

Harper Lee

Harper Lee? Seriously...

Swift is the master of dark sarcastic cynical writing, perfect for our crowd.

I vote for J. R. R. Tolkien or anyone to be connected with or related to the court. :notworthy1:

Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.../JFK

Jane Austen

Pearl S Buck

Harper Lee

Harper Lee? Seriously...

Harper Lee, if a Pulitzer Prize (and an Oscar) mean anything. I like the Southern ring of her name, more than Isaac Bickerstaff. Didn't he die before cynicism was invented? No, I know it was a Greek Philosophical thingie, circa, long time ago.

In the spirit of the original post, I should have listed:

Elizabeth Bennet

Wang Lung

Atticus Finch

How about a Joseph Heller pen?.....

With a 'Catch 22' angle to it....could be quite interesting.....

;)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Jane Austen

Pearl S Buck

Harper Lee

Harper Lee? Seriously...

Harper Lee, if a Pulitzer Prize (and an Oscar) mean anything. I like the Southern ring of her name, more than Isaac Bickerstaff. Didn't he die before cynicism was invented? No, I know it was a Greek Philosophical thingie, circa, long time ago.

In the spirit of the original post, I should have listed:

Elizabeth Bennet

Wang Lung

Atticus Finch

3rd rate novel that means nothing unless you have Southern racial guilt-pangs (often deserved.)

She knew how little she had to offer and did a masterful job of ducking the reality of coming up with anything else for the remaining decades.

I'll also add that even if you paid me $10,000 I wouldn't be able to pretend to understand .01% of the worship that Faulkner receives.

Edited by torstar

I love books, the feel of a good binding, the smell of the fresh ink and paper, and the stimulation of words on paper, that haunt my waking hours, sometimes embellishing my dreams. The diversity is ......vast.

I tried so hard to like Proust, and did, some, and that book about a hundred years in solitude, you know, Oprah's book.

I'm going to nominate dr seuss.

or, in the spirit of the op

Sam I Am

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if at some point the "Writers Editions" pens are going to become an anachronism in the future since current writers are writing their works on computers/cellphones/tablets and publishing via the web/facebook/twitter/etc. It seems to me that either the WE will become either more focused on pre-late 20th Century/21st Century writers (which still gives them a lot of leeway) or they'll have to modify the WE for writers who wouldn't normally use a pen to write their works.

Just my 2 cents...Canadian, that is! ;)

Hemingway used pencils most of the time. That didn't stop MB.

Jane Austen

Pearl S Buck

Harper Lee

I'd like to see a WE honoring the Brontës.

I really like the Tolkien suggestion and here's another that would provide an incredible canvas for a swashbuckling and great pen....Rapheal Sabatini. Nathaniel Hawthorne is more reasonable though likely...

Anybody else reading this wish they were more educated ? :embarrassed_smile:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have only recently become seriously interested in the WEs and have acquired two. When do we usually do we start to hear official information about the new edition for the year?

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'll see your Sabatini and raise you a Haggard.

A few years back Dorothy L. Sayers won the vote for woman we'd most like to see honored. We even sketched out the Lord Peter Whimsey bits we'd love to see on it. :roflmho:

I'm kinda surprised by the direction this thread took considering the authors mentioned in the OP.

Are Abdul Alhazred, Randolph Carter, Arkady Darrell and Emmanuel Goldstein the short list names for the 2013 Writes Edition?

Instead of names like Jubal Harshaw, Ellery Queen, Kilgore Trout (author of Venus on the half shell) or even Colonel George Durston we have had suggestions like J.R. Tolkien and the Brontes.

Not at all what I expected.

Austen, Tolkien, or Lovecraft would all get my vote.

What about Bram Stoker? No one, and I mean no one (that means you, ACME Studios), has been able to give Dracula a classy treatment, and I think Montblanc are just the folks to do it where others have failed.

Anybody else reading this wish they were more educated ? :embarrassed_smile:

Uh huh.

Jar's original post slid right off the slip stream.

And I'm disappointed that Sam I Am was not taken a little more seriously.

Why does serious writing have to be so oblique, aloof and sooooo laborious to read. And what's wrong with pictures? ok , illustrations.

I'm going to guess there will never be a Billy Pilgim WE. :crybaby:

Green Eggs and Ham or nothing! Paraphrasing for pen usage as opposed to consumption:

I will not use it on a boat

I will not use it with a goat

I will not use the pen in han'

I will not use it, Sam I Am :P