64 replies to this topic

#1 TrinityTam

TrinityTam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 22:34

After admiring from a distance for a while now, I am slowly but surely succumbing to the inevitability of Nakaya ownership. I've been working on a big project at work for about a year and have decided to reward myself with a pen upon its completion. I've ogled all of the lovely images and reviews on FPN and I think I've decided on a heki-tamenuri Piccolo cigar for my first Nakaya. I've never owned a pen without a clip before but the beautiful lines of the Piccolo are inspiring me to be bold!

Since everybody says that buying the first Nakaya is just a gateway for buying more, I've allowed myself to indulge in some "window shopping." I currently find myself using fountain pens more for sketching than for writing since most of my writing is note-taking at work and I just grab what's in the supply closet (usually a Pilot G2). One of the reasons I am drawn to the Piccolo is because I want to use it as my work pen and think that it will make note-taking more fun. But for my hypothetical second pen... I was wondering if anybody uses their Nakaya for sketching? The Dorsal Fin version 1 looks like it might be a nice sketcher.

Impatiently waiting for this project to end... :)

Trin

#2 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 23:04

Yes. I sketch and doodle with ALL my fountain pens including my Nakaya Piccolo Writer Aka-tamenuri with music nib.
Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.
Posted Image

#3 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,700 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 23:14

I draw with my Nakayas, but I don't sketch. And by "drawing," I mean, draw lines, mostly straight ones. I enjoy it very much.
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#4 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 15:27

I draw with my Nakayas, but I don't sketch. And by "drawing," I mean, draw lines, mostly straight ones. I enjoy it very much.

Drawing your own graph paper? idk just a guess
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#5 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 17:49

I mean that I'm not so good at curves (yet):

Posted Image

30 Drawrings In 30 Days
I ink; therefore, I am

#6 terminal

terminal

Antique

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 18:11

Oh my gosh I love that drawing! I had no idea about this! What a great project!!

Love this tree and it has some currrvvvvyyyy lines!

Great job, I really like your style and now everything makes so much more since WRT Nakaya!

#7 TrinityTam

TrinityTam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:45

Oh, very nice drawings. Are you using a piccolo for these or one of the longer Nakayas? Thanks for sharing!

#8 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 16:52

Here is the more recent set of 30, Schiele Variations.

I've used Piccolos and the Desk Pen and a Sailor Desk Pen (the $12 plastic with steel EF nib) and a Parker Duofold Vac and the Edison Pearl (steel F nib).

The next set of 30 I'll use the Desk Pen (F) and one of the Piccolos (M) and a Montblanc 100-Year Historical (widest line at an EF -- I know, unexpected that it's the widest line) and maybe the Pelikan 140 (semi-flex EF -- actually, this is the widest line) -- but the Pelly has red ink in it, so I might not change it for the drawing practice.

The drawrings are small, about 3-4" squarish (8-10cm).

Posted Image
Schiele Variations 27 by ethernautrix, on Flickr
I ink; therefore, I am

#9 terminal

terminal

Antique

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:00

I really enjoy the Schiele Variations series. What do you use for the gray tone.. like in the first one, in the roof?

#10 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:27

I really enjoy the Schiele Variations series. What do you use for the gray tone.. like in the first one, in the roof?

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about the Pentel (pretty sure they're Pentel) ink brushes! In the first series, I used a Q-tip (ha ha ha). The red is the Platinum Mix (SP:SY 1:1 (red)) in the Franklin-Christoph #25 Eclipse.

Thank you, terminal.
I ink; therefore, I am

#11 terminal

terminal

Antique

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:34

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about the Pentel (pretty sure they're Pentel) ink brushes! In the first series, I used a Q-tip (ha ha ha). The red is the Platinum Mix (SP:SY 1:1 (red)) in the Franklin-Christoph #25 Eclipse.

Thank you, terminal.

Oh, no, ty for sharing your art!

Oooh that's interesting. Yeah it would have to be something small that's why I was baffled. It'd be hard to do with watercolor... not impossible I guess. Interesting about the Q-tip. Is that to even it out or apply too?

#12 danahn17

danahn17

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:54

Wow! That's some great artwork! :notworthy1: Thanks for sharing :)
thINK: my pen & paper blog :)

#13 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 19:15

Interesting about the Q-tip. Is that to even it out or apply too?

Both. (Laughs.) I wondered, "How can I apply this ink without painstakingly running the nib back and forth in this space?" Heh.

Thanks much, danahn17. I'm still practicing!
I ink; therefore, I am

#14 ObserveClosely

ObserveClosely

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:10

Steve Light draws/sketches with his Nakaya. He's a delightful artist.

Here's his Midori with his Nakaya Neo Standard.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#15 terminal

terminal

Antique

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 23:24

I wondered, "How can I apply this ink without painstakingly running the nib back and forth in this space?" Heh.

Srsly that's what had me cringing. I was thinking... fill with H2O, drip in there, but then you'd get rings 'n stars. I was impressed with the evenness, great tip! (q-tip that is)

#16 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 14:40

Very impressive Ethernautrix, so much so that I want to learn.

Have you been doing this for quite a while and did you have a lot of formal training ?

I really enjoy looking at your work.

*bows*
Hex, aka George

#17 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 19:21

Thanks terminal.

Hex, George, DO IT! No, my whole life (or, at least, since I was a teenager), I have told myself, "I can't draw." Last year, waiting with a friend at my favorite cafe for the last train out of the City, having enjoyed a day at SFMOMA and comedy at the Purple Onion, I opened the book I'd bought at SFMOMA, Rudolf Leopold's Egon Schiele Landscapes and just started paging through it. I said, probably aloud, "I can't draw. I wish I could draw." Then I decided that I would try -- and I wouldn't care about mistakes.

This was my first drawing:
Posted Image
01 by ethernautrix, on Flickr

I did 30 "drawrings" in about 35 days and have been haphazard about practicing, although I managed to draw another 30 in about 40 or so days recently, and I carry a notebook with photocopies of pictures from the Schiele book so that I can spontaneous take up practicing again, which, I swear!, I'm going to do.

Jump right in! There are superb artists on fpn - I love Steve Light's work and Shawn Wallace's (watch_art) work -- so jump in. Don't care about the mistakes; that's the most important thing.
I ink; therefore, I am

#18 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 19:25

Update!

Very recently (only a few days ago), I started drawring miniature Schiele Landscape Variations (cos I'm still practicing), now adding color in patterns, thanks to plistumi's recommendation that I check out tanglepatterns.com and Sketchy's suggestion that I add color. Many thanks to plistumi and Sketchy!

Posted Image

P.S. These are photocopies pasted into a Moleskine notebook, to give you an idea of the size (grid ruling 5mm x 5mm of the notepad I'm drawring on). Pens used: Nakaya Desk Pen, Nakaya Long Piccolo, and Nakaya Naka-ai. Not-black inks in Edison Morgan Triumph and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar. :-)

Edited by ethernautrix, 22 October 2012 - 19:28.

I ink; therefore, I am

#19 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 19:57

Update!

Very recently (only a few days ago), I started drawring miniature Schiele Landscape Variations (cos I'm still practicing), now adding color in patterns, thanks to plistumi's recommendation that I check out tanglepatterns.com and Sketchy's suggestion that I add color. Many thanks to plistumi and Sketchy!

Posted Image

P.S. These are photocopies pasted into a Moleskine notebook, to give you an idea of the size (grid ruling 5mm x 5mm of the notepad I'm drawring on). Pens used: Nakaya Desk Pen, Nakaya Long Piccolo, and Nakaya Naka-ai. Not-black inks in Edison Morgan Triumph and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar. :-)

Wow very nice. I love all those vignettes arranged on a page like that.
Posted Image

#20 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 20:19

If I owned a Nakaya I'd participate. What if I made a pen that LOOKS sorta almost like a Nakaya?

:)

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#21 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 21:41

If I owned a Nakaya I'd participate. What if I made a pen that LOOKS sorta almost like a Nakaya?

:)

:-)
I ink; therefore, I am

#22 TrinityTam

TrinityTam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:50

I broke my Nakaya Naka-ai in with a quick sketch too. Platinum carbon black ink on cartridge paper.

Posted Image

#23 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:44

Beautiful trimitytam. If this is quick, I would like to see some of your slower work. Fantastic.

#24 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:18

Nice elephant! Good work

trimitytam. How do you like your Naka ai. I am ordering one soon, just trying to decide on a nib. What do you have on yours?

Posted Image

#25 TrinityTam

TrinityTam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:44

Ravantra - I got the gold rigid Fine nib because I wanted to use it for sketching and writing. It is a marvelous nib. My previous favorite sketching nib was a Sailor 14K Fine and the Nakaya is even better. Both nibs are very smooth but there is something about the Nakaya's nib design that just seems to skate over the paper leaving a perfect, magical trail of ink. For my next Nakaya (and there will be a next, I'm sure), I'm eyeing a Mottishaw ground medium-stub and I'd use that pen exclusively for writing.

Pelman - Thanks! I consider any sketch that takes less than an hour to be "quick" because I've been known to cross-hatch for hours... a devilishly fun and mesmerizing pastime especially with an incredible Nakaya pen in hand!

#26 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 23:29

I broke my Nakaya Naka-ai in with a quick sketch too. Platinum carbon black ink on cartridge paper.

That's beautiful, TrinityTam! When you say "quick," what does that mean? A half-hour? A couple of hours? I would love to see more of your drawings and sketches, please.

The Carbon Black is perfect for the elephant, btw. Eventually, I'll start practicing curvy lines. :-)
I ink; therefore, I am

#27 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 00:11

Ravantra - I got the gold rigid Fine nib because I wanted to use it for sketching and writing. It is a marvelous nib. My previous favorite sketching nib was a Sailor 14K Fine and the Nakaya is even better. Both nibs are very smooth but there is something about the Nakaya's nib design that just seems to skate over the paper leaving a perfect, magical trail of ink. For my next Nakaya (and there will be a next, I'm sure), I'm eyeing a Mottishaw ground medium-stub and I'd use that pen exclusively for writing.

Pelman - Thanks! I consider any sketch that takes less than an hour to be "quick" because I've been known to cross-hatch for hours... a devilishly fun and mesmerizing pastime especially with an incredible Nakaya pen in hand!

Thanks TrinityTam for the info. Hummmm… a medium stub also sounds great. maybe 2 pens are in order.
Posted Image

#28 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 00:27

I consider any sketch that takes less than an hour to be "quick" because I've been known to cross-hatch for hours... a devilishly fun and mesmerizing pastime especially with an incredible Nakaya pen in hand!

D'oh! I had the window open and didn't read carefully (migraine intervention, argh) and didn't see your answer.

Say, did you draw the camera in your avatar? Sweet!

More, please.
I ink; therefore, I am

#29 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 00:43

Steve Light draws/sketches with his Nakaya. He's a delightful artist.

Here's his Midori with his Nakaya Neo Standard.

I was going to answer but someone did for me--Thanks "observe closely"

I do not use my Nakaya as much as I thought I would. Still like it alot though--sure I will come back to it.--it always travels with me if I go on a trip with a box or two of Platinum Carbon Black cartridges--my Nakaya and a platinum ribbed are almost my ONLY cartridge pens--nice to have a cartridge pen when traveling and waterproof ink as back up--i still bring 4-5 other pens on trips--plus art supplies and sketchbook.

PS--Lisa I LOVE your drawings--please keep drawing.

Edited by stevlight, 24 October 2012 - 00:44.

My Newest book all drawn with a Pelikan M1000 "Zephyr Takes Flight"
Posted Image
www.stevelightart.com

#30 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

• Member - Gold

• 10,700 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:56

PS--Lisa I LOVE your drawings--please keep drawing.

Aw, thanks, Steve! I will keep drawing. You and Marta and TrinityTam here and others are very good influences!
I ink; therefore, I am