73 replies to this topic

#61 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:51

There is no reason to completely abandon fountain pens.
A P-51 stays wet a long time uncapped.

A desk set fountain pen, where one sticks it back in the pen stand.
The problem is to find one that fits a pen of yours.

It does give you an alternative to buy a complete one with pen, with the money you are going to make selling the rest of your fountain pens.

Sheaffer, Parker, MB make/made nice ones.
I've a Sheaffer Imperial IV desk pen, that writes every time it's taken out of it's stand.
(Well if it's been in there unused for 5-6 months I got to dip it in my damp sponge postal stamp licker gadget. It is because it is a nail, one of my invisible pens.)

Esterbrook makes a real nice inkwell gizmo ink stand, that I have been needing for the last three years. :embarrassed_smile:

Shame dumping all that ink down the sink like that. Should give it away, on Pass it Forward.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#62 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2012 - 13:03

Zebra Sarsa .7 gel pens come in an insane number of colors and they are very smooth.

I've found the Schneider easy glide pens to be superior to the Bic sticks as that type of pen goes, they blob less and the ink has a smooth feel to it, while having a smaller line, they have a nice rubber grippy thing too!

One last thing to try before giving up on FPs, is the Pilot Varsity, I don't think I've ever had one that dried out, I've run a couple out, but that's a good thing!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#63 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2012 - 15:26

It's interesting, but several posts suggest switching to a cap that is easier to take off and put on than a screw-on cap.
I have a couple of pens with threaded caps (both Noodler's pens) and I find that I don't have that much trouble. It *maybe* takes a couple of extra sections, but I can do it without really even thinking about it. I can even do it one-handed, even with the Konrad.
That being said, if the OP is finding that fountain pens don't really serve his needs any more, there's not a whole lot else that can be said to change his mind (and it's clear that the guy isn't some net troll poster). +1 on the advice to clean the pens out well and put them away till he finds he really misses the experience.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#64 Kugelschreiber

Kugelschreiber

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2012 - 16:44

I'm curious now: Does anyone know if there are other forums like those focusing on luxury pens in general or on rollerballs, etc.?

There are certainly numerous blogs where bps, rbs and gel pens are reviewed and talked about, but the ones I've seen are usually on everyday or office pens like Uni, Zebra, etc., not expensive 'fine' bps and rbs.

I tend to doubt that bps, rbs and gel pens are interesting enough to sustain a site like this with multiple fora.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

#65 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2012 - 17:07

Tony

Don't know if you have seen this site...not a forum....just BP RB reviews by and large

http://www.penreview.com/

#66 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 19:12

Not sure how often you have to sign things but maybe you could use your favorite BP or RB for 'work' and carry your favorite FP for signatures. Best of both worlds?
I carry one or two FP's everyday, three if you count the Kaweco sport in my trouser pocket, but almost always have a Parker BP on hand for when that style is needed.

I also normally have a mechanical pencil with .5 lead that gets a lot of use.

So, as others have said, use what you prefer but hang around-no telling when you will have something to add.

Do we have a resident expert on BP's? Could be you!!

#67 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 23:53

I am very late on this one, but:

I do a lot of writing - notes taking on the books I read, books and articles I write, personnal notes and so on. I use FPs because of the comfort they offer and because I do think it is the most satisfying way to put ink on paper when writing. But the comfort think is quite important. I coulldn't dream of a six hours writing session with a BP, a roller or even a gel pen. Friction of course, but stiffness too and the writing angle you have to adopt with these writing instruments.

The most annoying as far as I am concern is the notes taking thing, since the note can be very short, and then, the capping ans uncapping can really be annoying. I recently discorvered that the Lamy 2K was solving this problem: the pen is a wet writer and the nib is semi hooded. I can let the pen unused for 10 or 15 minutes and it will still start immediately. The first stroke would be a little dry, of course, but that's all.

Edited by Namo, 29 August 2012 - 23:55.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#68 WriteAway

WriteAway

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 00:20

I personally enjoy using ballpoints, fountains, and rollerballs. I switch up between them every now and then. There's no rule that you have to stick to one kind of pen. I use my fountain pens a lot when I'm at home (sometimes outside the home), and rollerballs and ballpoints other times. Right now in my two pen cups, I have about 40 rollerball and ballpoint pens (Waterman, Cross, and other names), and in my other cup I have about a dozen fountain pens filled with ink. In my bookbag, I have only 1 fountain pen and a bunch of ballpoint and rollerball pens (mostly disposables with two or three luxury ones). I switch up between the pens so much that some of my pens seem to never run out of ink...but that's only because I might use it for a few pages of writing now, and then when I return to work later, I use another pen, etc. etc. If you personally dislike using fountain pens the way I dislike using pencils and porous points, then no biggie. The purpose of rollerballs and gels is to make that bridge for you between fountains and ballpoints. I enjoy my Pilot G2's, and often use their refills in my luxury rollerballs.

As Vrgelinas said, you dont have to leave the community. While these forums are aimed at fountain pens mainly, I imagine that many of us use other writing instruments as well depending on the situation or even mood. To give you an example, I consider myself mainly a fountain pen user, but just today alone I used a porous pen (Pilot VPoint Razor), a pencil (just an hour or so ago, Uniball Kuru Toga), a fountain pen (Parker 45), and a roller (Cross Edge)....all in one day in different places and for different things. Oh, and I used a ballpoint pen (a Zebra pen made of metal) in lab for a few hours. Many of us are pen lovers in general and may simply favor fountains, or some of us may not favor fountains but find ourselves using them often. Stick around!

+1

I keep probably 100 different pens around my desk (BP, FP, RB, Gel) and enjoy making the switch between them all on some days. Otherwise, I write with the PC.

I grew up on BPs, so hand fatigue is not an issue for me, and I have many of the known (and some little-appreciated) brands at hand. My notebooks are a collage of different inks, since I switch whenever the mood strikes between paragraphs.

Since I have terrible handwriting, I retype everything of import. My main goal with any pen is to get the thought down on paper, so if a BP doesn't feel right, then out comes one of the FPs, or whatever. So any type works for me! :thumbup:

#69 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:28

Thank you for such supportive and friendly responses! I will miss this community.

we will miss you. don't forget to write.... even if with a BP!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#70 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:31

Tony

Don't know if you have seen this site...not a forum....just BP RB reviews by and large

http://www.penreview.com/

jetpens used to have a forum where you could review BP, RB and Pencils, but it's gone now.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#71 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:47

Fountain-ism is not coersive. Hate mail will be minimal.
Some of my best friends write with gel.

Don't let your investment fall into ruin. Clean your fountains
before abandoning them to the old cigar box. Keep one of the
LAMY Safari's close by, with a new cartridge, in case you want
to write a long, smooth letter. (Or need an FP fix.)

Drop us a line from the The Gel-pen Network.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#72 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:05

I think you should give it some time and then come back to fountain pens. Maybe one day you will feel bored by gel points and you will come back to fountain pens.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#73 CarlosCaligrafia

CarlosCaligrafia

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:50

:thumbup: nothing to add here.

G2 are nice, but Zebras Sarasas are smoother (but wetter so they dry slower)
Pentel Slicci and Pentel Energel are smooooooth (but not waterproof)
Uniball Signo DX are fantastic if you like small line (.28 .38) waterproof and fadeproof.

On a really sidenote, all my FP stand more than 15 min uncapped without trouble :ph34r:
Pens: Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Lamy Vista F / Pilot Custom 74 F / Lamy Safari EF

Working: Webdesigner on Origamidesigner

#74 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:57

When I read the first post, the first thing I thought was are you capping and uncapping all the time because you need to, or because you think you need to? I've had a lot of FPs that can sit uncapped for lengthy periods of time uncapped and still write immediately, but if you are going 20-40 minutes between writing and they don't start immediately, I can see how that might be a problem. And if you are holding a book in one hand, even a non-clicky slip cap such as on a Parker 21/Hero 616 might be a problem. A desk pen might work, unless you are working in random places not at your own desk at home; a common student situation.

Have you tried a Pilot Razor Point? I like the cheap ones if you can find them (they used to be easy to find in many colors), but the up-scaled V-Razor is basically the same and probably easier to find in quantities of 1 or 2 instead of a box of 12. If you prefer M/B/Stub nib FPs, that is probably not going to be a good suggestion; if you like XF or F you might love it.

Chalk me up as another person who likes the Pilot G-2 refill, that and the Pilot Precise.