Experience With Xfountainpens.com?

grahamtillotson

I just followed a paid link on Google to http://www.xfountainpens.com and was wondering if others have experience with this site. Are they reliable and do they ship fairly quickly? I see that they have a lot of the Jinhao pens for about double what you'd pay on eBay, and I might go for them if I didn't have to wait a month for shipments from China.

Any feedback on experiences would be great!

Graham

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.A.R.

• amantadine

• Ted A

• Jimmy James

I just followed a paid link on Google to http://www.xfountainpens.com and was wondering if others have experience with this site. Are they reliable and do they ship fairly quickly? I see that they have a lot of the Jinhao pens for about double what you'd pay on eBay, and I might go for them if I didn't have to wait a month for shipments from China.

Any feedback on experiences would be great!

Graham

I've bought multiple bottles of their Chesterfield Archival Vault ink and would definitely buy from them again. I was happy with the service, not to mention the free shipping over $15.

eta: sign up for their newsletter because they usually give out a decent coupon code around the holidays.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I did business with them last year and had no problems at all. I would buy from them again.

I've done one small purchase from them and it was a perfectly straight forward transaction. No problems

If you look in the writing instruments thread you will find a couple of threads regarding getting German nibs from them that can replace the Noodler's flex nibs with non-flex nibs. So there a number of FPN members who have done business with them

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I've done one small purchase from them and it was a perfectly straight forward transaction. No problems

If you look in the writing instruments thread you will find a couple of threads regarding getting German nibs from them that can replace the Noodler's flex nibs with non-flex nibs. So there a number of FPN members who have done business with them

Exactly! This type of thing has really interested me of late, the idea of easy nib swapping. I recently bought a New Dunn, plus an extra nib, and a Bexley G10. Apart from the breather tube for the New Dunn, the nibs can be swapped all around. Would expect this since Bexley does the manufacturing on the New Dunn.

I like this idea with the German nibs (Bock, JoWo). Saw the option to upgrade to a German steel nib, so I did that. I like the idea of swapping nib units like in old Esterbrooks. Maybe that will become more common. Also doing it with my TWSBIs.

Graham

Their Knox K35 nibs work beautifully in my Noodler's Ahab (see thread linked in signature.) The K26 nibs fit the other Noodler's FPs.

Though their customer service has been spotty for some I've gotten responses reasonably quickly when necessary. They often include gift items with orders over $20 or so, such as 25 or 50ml bottles of their ink. I had trouble redeeming a gift card one time, so they gave me a free bottle of ink in addition to the bottle they gave me because it was a $45 order (so I got 100ml of free ink.) The free shipping is convenient and fairly fast. The selection is limited, but the repackaged Diamine ink and Knox nibs are good quality.

Not much to complain about, they just don't often have what I want (though I really want some more Knox nibs.)

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I purchased a couple pens and ink samples from them recently and everything went fine. I ordered on a Thursday and since my selections included upgraded nibs the pens shipped on Tuesday the next week. I also received a 25ml bottle for one of the samples.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

I think I emailed them twice and never got responses. They weren't high priority questions. I have bought from them and would do so again. In fact, I should get replacement nibs for some of my Nooker's Nib Creeper type pens.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Hard to get customer service but great when you do. One needs a lot of patience when something goes wrong but they try and do makes right in the end.

It's repackaged Diamine? Have you any idea which of their colours correspond to which Diamine colours? :happyberet:

I know one: Chesterfield Archival Vault is Diamine Registrar's Ink.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I received three samples of the Chesterfield ink. Smoked Topaz appears to be Ancient Copper and Mahogany closely matches Chocolate brown. I also have Chesterfiled Ruby which might be Diamine ruby or Vermillion.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

I will chime in as well. Not only is xfountainpens.com a great seller, but his customer service is top-notch. I had an issue with a pen I purchased and he responded and rectified the problem very quickly.

Wanting to trade for samples of fountain pen friendly legal pad paper.

You have it right. They have many Jinhao pens that they tag

as their own brand. I think the price is at least double.

Chesterfield ink is excellent quality Diamine ink, bought in

bulk and repackaged. I like the Emerald and the Garnet a lot.

My experiences with xFountainpen has been good.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You have it right. They have many Jinhao pens that they tag

as their own brand. I think the price is at least double.

Chesterfield ink is excellent quality Diamine ink, bought in

bulk and repackaged. I like the Emerald and the Garnet a lot.

My experiences with xFountainpen has been good.

I don't have enough experience to know for sure, but it sounds like they maybechange out the nibs for the Knox nibs. That would seem to give some justification for the higher prices

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Only if you choose to pay an extra $6 or so - otherwise they come with a "Bulow" nib that is probably a rebranded Jinhao. The Knox nibs are a couple dollars cheaper if you buy them with a pen though.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I too have ordered from xfountainpens a bunch of times without problem. And I'd second the suggestion that you get on their mailing list--with the periodic coupon codes that they've sent out in the past, the prices are more than reasonable.

In terms of matching their Chesterfield ink to the Diamine colors, here's a helpful spreadsheet guide from an old fpn post:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnAYbNbmymGjdDFuOGVNaU5zZThva3ZwSy16amVpeGc&hl=en[/url#gid=0

+++++++++++++++

It's repackaged Diamine? Have you any idea which of their colours correspond to which Diamine colours? :happyberet:

I'm a relative newbie to FPN...the info on this site is great!

There are at least two pens on the xfountainpens.com website that greatly interest me.

One is the X750, the other is the X530. The "SRX Prachtvolle" kind of grabs my attention, too.

Two questions for the folks here:

1) If I order one of the xpens, should I go ahead pay the extra $ to get a better nib?

2) If I decide to wait, can the nibs be replaced (by me) later, if I don't like the stock one?

I haven't done any nib replacements before, but the cost of these pens is pretty low to start. So I am willing to learn, if it's something that can be done at home. (If it's something best left to an expert, then I probably would ante up the exta $ when I order.)

Thanks!