Frosty!

JonSzanto

This one is a lot of fun: just received a nice pen/nib in the mail from one of my favorite eBay pen people - a green, 3-rib Transitional with a "frosted" 9314F nib. As is always the case with this seller, the pen was in immaculate condition, and didn't appear to have gotten there with too much work, but a good pen to start with. The nib is even sweeter in person, and a quick dip shows it writes as well as it looks. Time to let some of my earlier Esties find new homes, I think...

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_01.jpg

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_02.jpg

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_04.jpg

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• OcalaFlGuy

• lovementos

• terminal

This one is a lot of fun: just received a nice pen/nib in the mail from one of my favorite eBay pen people - a green, 3-rib Transitional with a "frosted" 9314F nib. As is always the case with this seller, the pen was in immaculate condition, and didn't appear to have gotten there with too much work, but a good pen to start with. The nib is even sweeter in person, and a quick dip shows it writes as well as it looks. Time to let some of my earlier Esties find new homes, I think...

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_01.jpg

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_02.jpg

http://www.microtonal.org/cellodrum//images/Estie_Gr3RibTrans_04.jpg

That is one shiny nib!

What does it mean for a nib to be 'frosted'?

What does it mean for a nib to be 'frosted'?

The area between the double lines, where it says "ESTERBROOK 9314" does not have the same shiny plating on it, instead having what looks like a matte finish, almost like the way brushed aluminum looks. Frankly, I had never seen one of these before this pen. I'm going to see if Brian Anderson can give me a bit more background on it.

ETA: Apparently, these nib often came with Visumasters.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Oooh. I see, I see.

The shiny-ness of that nib is lovely. I feel like a magpie :lol:

This is one beautiful nib. I too read somewhere that these nibs came with Visumasters, but none of my two (a #1 and a #2) came with such a beauty.

:puddle:

swisspenpal

Congratulations on your purchase JonSzanto! It looks like a great pen. I was one of the unfortunate underbidders. Enjoy

That's such a beauty of a pen. Look at the shiney!

~ Danni

I like to collect the cheap, cheerful and colourful!

I love the frosted nib. Very shiny, indeed! Congrats!

J. Weaver

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

You can't go wrong getting a pen from Jim and Sharon and the prices their listings earn generally reflect that.

They get a seemingly never ending supply of good quality pens, at least the ones they restore and list anyway. Their seller ethics are impeccable. They are in my very short list of saved sellers whose items I check every week.

If I had to look for something about them to whine about it's that I'm not real fond of the "color enhancement" selections they use on their software they massage their listing pics with. While they take uber-excellent pics otherwise, I find their color bumping excessive. But again, that's just being REALLY picky.

That's a beaut alright and I'm not even that fond of green pens.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

You can't go wrong getting a pen from Jim and Sharon and the prices their listings earn generally reflect that.

What's their ebay name?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

They get a seemingly never ending supply of good quality pens, at least the ones they restore and list anyway. Their seller ethics are impeccable. They are in my very short list of saved sellers whose items I check every week.

Indeed, Bruce knows. Same here: an extremely short list of fave sellers, and there they are. Really pleasant to deal with, and I have a hard time staying away from bidding on a lot of their stuff. I hold myself back, I tell you. It isn't the Home of the Sumgai, but if you have a price in your head that's ok and you get the pen for that or less, you are going to be quite pleased.

BTW, while some of the photo stuff may be tweaked, this pen matches the photos as well as I could assume. No surprises.

Heh, and I'm with you - green pens? I never would have guessed at my ownership, but go figure. That nib would look really nice in a pristine silver J.

Lovely new pen, enjoy. What are you going to load it with?

That's a tricky one! I'm left-handed and don't usually favor fine nibs, but I have a 2314F that writes pretty well for me. I think it will still be a fairly lubricated ink to have as smooth an experience as possible, but nothing for sure. Maybe American Blue Eel. Maybe an Iroshizuku ink. At the moment, I'm just doing dips to see what feels right.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I got a couple really decent deals there a couple years ago before everyone figured them out. I got a near NOS Silver Icicle with a near NOS 9128 Flex nib in it for I think about $32 shipped. (They've always had free shipping that I can recall.)

A quickie Jim story. I was looking at IIRC a Sheaffer Carmine Balance and in one of the pics it looked like the start of some kind of maybe a burn mark towards the end of the barrel. It really wasn't that bad, I was pretty sure it would polish all or most of the way out. I messaged Jim *really* just to ask what kind of a mark it was IF it Really Was a mark and about how deep it was. In no time flat Jim messaged me back thanking me for pointing it out to him and that he'd pull the item. By the time I could get to Ebay, the listing was gone. He wasn't even going to put it up for list until it was as it should be.

But, but, buttttt... ;) (THAT *Certainly* wasn't the way I wanted things to go.)

It wasn't that big of a deal or I'd have pursued a backchannel deal with him, but I wasn't that into those pens then.

I am of the school that if a pic looks enhanced, it's been Too Enhanced. The idea is to enhance without it looking like it's been done. To me, they lean a bit much on the Color Saturation (guessing there) button. Again, more of an observation than any complaint.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

ros7261

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I want to add them and it wouldn't add them to my saved sellers and I was like, what the heck... before I realized I already had them on there :doh:

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Fairly ordinary (but nice) Pen

....... extraordinary Nib!!!

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Fairly ordinary (but nice) Pen

....... extraordinary Nib!!!

You read my mind. ;)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Delightful. A pen and nib that look like that makes one forget about favorite colors (green isn't my favorite either but that pen looks great).

You know you're really serious about pens when a nib makes the sale.

That's a very pretty nib. It seems like prices on Esties in general has gone up quite a bit in the last few years. I don't go that far back and I remember when they were much more affordable.

And I walked uphill both ways to school, etc.

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!