Drawing With Fountain Pens

waterobey

I draw with my black Sheaffer No Nonsense, it's fairly wet when writing, so I thought it'd be good to draw with.

I tried it, and it works fine.

I found it at a thrift shop where I got 5 old fountain pens for the equivalent of a usd.

I brought the pens home, cleaned them and use 2 of them for writing and drawing.

Last weekend I went to the easter flea market at Forum, Copenhagen, and brought home 10 fountain pens for the equivalent of 17.5 usd; among them were a fully functional red Sheaffer No Nonsense, so now I've got another good drawing pen. ;)

Edited by BikerBabeDK

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• waterobey

• lapis

• oldcards

To oldcards:

Is the avatar art your work? Love it!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstained ruth

Yes, the avatar is mine. Thank you!

It was one of my entries in the Noodler's contest.

I use every pen I can get my hand on ... including markers and highlighters that I refill (handy-line S).

A glass pen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360431859672?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1279

A refurbished Esterbrook

A TWSBI will likely be too heavy, so I'd go with a Pelikano jur.

A faber Castell kids rollerball.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

And here are a few samples

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/12142012_02_29_02_49_48.jpg

Visconti Blue and Noodler's Djinn

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/12232012_02_29_04_57_46.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

I use a Noodler's Ink Ahab fountain pen. I'm quite pleased with the results. However, it does take a good bit of tinkering to get the flow just right for sketching. I'm not all the way there yet. It will take a good bit more tinkering to be able to get the flow that I need to keep up with broad lines and fast cross hatch marking. But here's an example of how it can appear:

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/JohnBFisher/20130817_Ashworth_075dpi.jpg

I drew this on a Daler Rowney The Langton Prestige (100% cotton) hot press 140lb watercolor block. I used water to wash the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia ink. By washing it pretty quickly (within 20 to 30 seconds) after drawing you can use the ink to provide the value (light or dark) of the painting. But once the ink dries, it's quite bullet proof. I added the watercolor washes and had NO running or change to the ink.

JohnBFisher,

Firstly, Welcome to FPN!!

Secondly, thanks for sharing your lovely artwork! I love how you've washed the ink to provide value without losing the permanence of the ink. Very nice!!

The fountain pens that I use for drawing are Lamy Safari/Vista EF, Rotring ArtpenEF/F, and a Reform 1745 which is great for quickly getting ideas down. My favourite pens for just picking up and drawing wherever have to be the Pentel brushpen and a Kuretake Fudegokochi, always fun to use. Just let him experiment with different types of pen to see which work best for him.

Sounds like you have found a pen for him to start. Would also suggest an inexpensive pen like a Hero 616. They have nice nibs, good flow and there is a Regular size you can probably still find that is smaller around, more like a Parker "51" Demi. The larger size is called a Jumbo. The nibs have no flex but should last forever. Great for everyday use, thrown in a backpack and if dropped, easily replaced.

I use a Noodler's Ink Ahab fountain pen. I'm quite pleased with the results. However, it does take a good bit of tinkering to get the flow just right for sketching. I'm not all the way there yet. It will take a good bit more tinkering to be able to get the flow that I need to keep up with broad lines and fast cross hatch marking. But here's an example of how it can appear:

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/JohnBFisher/20130817_Ashworth_075dpi.jpg

I drew this on a Daler Rowney The Langton Prestige (100% cotton) hot press 140lb watercolor block. I used water to wash the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia ink. By washing it pretty quickly (within 20 to 30 seconds) after drawing you can use the ink to provide the value (light or dark) of the painting. But once the ink dries, it's quite bullet proof. I added the watercolor washes and had NO running or change to the ink.

WOW this is stunning! Thank you!

WOW this is stunning! Thank you!

Yes, that is stunning, but you were here first (no harm meant). I just can't imagine anybody here having overlooked your art.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

:W2FPN: That is one awesome first post!! Thanks for sharing!

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

:W2FPN: That is one awesome first post!! Thanks for sharing!

How crude of me! I should have said that, too!! I first thought that that was a sketch from Edward Hopper, something like Seven A.M.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

And please post more - tell us how you do it.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone on here draw with fountain pens? My 11 year old is an artist and he loves drawing using a variety of pens. Recently, I got him some Faber anime markers. He has never used a fountain pen though. If anyone uses them to draw, which should I look at for him? thanks!

Hey,

I am an artist myself and love using fountain pens to get creative with.

I actually work for a fountain seller www.zenzoi.com and personally recommend either our showtime black pen or the bamboo pens. I can guarantee that your son will love them and if not I'll personally refund you. I am that confident about our pens being the best for drawing.

• 4 months later...

Hey,

I am an artist myself and love using fountain pens to get creative with.

I actually work for a fountain seller www.zenzoi.com and personally recommend either our showtime black pen or the bamboo pens. I can guarantee that your son will love them and if not I'll personally refund you. I am that confident about our pens being the best for drawing.

I know this is an old post but hoping for a reply; I was looking specifically for inks that I can use for drawing and use some water after drawing to give some shadow-like effect (black) or simply use water on other colored inks. An earlier post suggested Iroshizuku which I find very wet already: isn't it too wet to use water on the drawing afterwards?

The other question is about "permanence of ink": If I want my drawings to last, which inks should I use, or will all kind of fade over time?

So, go check out the Fade Tests / Fade Olympics.

Washed inks in my experience will fade faster.

Here is an example,

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/Subjects/slides/03-2012-10-14_001.jpg

The center section was washed. As you can see the wash is almost completely gone in almost all the samples. Check out Poussière de Lune - the wash did not completely fade.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/Subjects/slides/05-2012_10_29.jpg