14 replies to this topic

#1 jebib

jebib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 17:55

Maybe I just don't know where to look on FPN but I don't see anyone offering the service. Where better to ask than on the Montblanc Forum? I've got a couple actually I'd like to have serviced. Anyone out there who does it with a good track record to contact? Thanks!

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 18:01

Perhaps Chuck Edwards of Fahrney's? A glowing recommendation from the MB expert Barry Gabay, can be found here: link.

Edited by hari317, 08 April 2012 - 18:02.

#3 osnofian

osnofian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 18:51

Max of maxpens.de did a great job on one of mine.

#4 Dr. Eriko

Dr. Eriko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:48

Michael Masuyama is another very good option for pen repairs and restoration. I am one happy costumer.
Please excuse my poor english, but it is not my mothern language and maybe it is wrong my grammar. Any Suggestions are welcome.

#5 Leftytoo

Leftytoo

Miner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:47

Assuming the nib unit unscrews (like a Pelikan or Aurora) this is a 5 minute job. Buy a little jar of pure silicone grease at a dive shop. Unscrew the nib unit. Put the tiniest spec of grease on the tip of a toothpick. Run it around the inside of the barrel. Run the piston up and down a few times. Screw the nib unit back in.

Bob
Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

#6 osnofian

osnofian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:06

Assuming the nib unit unscrews (like a Pelikan or Aurora) this is a 5 minute job. Buy a little jar of pure silicone grease at a dive shop. Unscrew the nib unit. Put the tiniest spec of grease on the tip of a toothpick. Run it around the inside of the barrel. Run the piston up and down a few times. Screw the nib unit back in.

Bob

Unfortunately this doesn't apply to montblanc pens. The nib unit can't be unscrewed without proper tools, and it has a pink sealant that is also a pain to remove/put back (assuming you have a supply).
Honestly kids, don't try this at home :roflmho: :roflmho:

#7 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 18:20

Bob

Unfortunately this doesn't apply to montblanc pens. The nib unit can't be unscrewed without proper tools, and it has a pink sealant that is also a pain to remove/put back (assuming you have a supply).

There is also a thread somewhere that suggests that silicone grease should not be used on MB's and that vaseline is a friendlier alternative.

#8 Redbarchettayyz

Redbarchettayyz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:59

Bob

Not necessarily, the slim 1x,2x,3x lines of MBs from the sixties had removable sections that simply unscrewed. It doesn't apply to the 146, but as a generality is not necessarily true.

Edited by Redbarchettayyz, 12 August 2012 - 04:00.

Get some tasty knowledge -
Frederick Kaff's Illogical Conclusions

Current Rotation: Montblanc 234 1/2g - M, Sailor 1911M - F, Montblanc 34 - OB, Montblanc 24 - OM, Montblanc 14 - M, 1946 Parker Vacumatic - F

#9 josephfabry

josephfabry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:36

Maybe I just don't know where to look on FPN but I don't see anyone offering the service. Where better to ask than on the Montblanc Forum? I've got a couple actually I'd like to have serviced. Anyone out there who does it with a good track record to contact? Thanks!

I realize this is an old post.

My Montblanc Ramses 146 with EF nib came with very sticky piston (and tarnish- which the eBay seller mistakenly thought was permanent- leading to another awesome eBay deal for me). Before I sent it to Service, I read on line about Noodler's EEL inks. I had never tried Noodler's Ink prior, but thought that a 12 dollar bottle of ink, might save a whole lot more in service. So, I took the plunge and ordered some EEL blue and EEL turquoise.

After about 1 month of scant use- perhaps 2, or 3 fillings with EEL blue ink, my sticky piston issue was resolved.

I mean- COMPLETELY gone.

I try Noodler's EEL first, with any sticky piston issue in my new Vintage or Modern pens.

Usual DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with Noodler's ink or Montblanc pens.

Try the EEL- it works mysteriously, but effectively.

Love,

Joe

#10 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:13

Maybe a worthwhile 'getting to know you' project that you could do yourself? Plenty of help & advice available on here and I like many do their own now thanks to other members guidance.

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#11 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Antique

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:51

I'm just starting this project myself, and got myself a tool to help unscrew the piston section. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend on my MB Mann.

#12 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 15:00

I'm just starting this project myself, and got myself a tool to help unscrew the piston section. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend on my MB Mann.

Good on you fella ! I did my Charles Dickens as one of my first attempts and was pleasently surprised at how, with FPN member guidance, relatively easy it was to do. Now then what to use to lube the piston..........there is a subject :headsmack:

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#13 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 15:29

I got the tool from Fountainbel, the grease that came with the TWSBI and following the instructions from Hari in 5' one of my three 149 had the smoothest piston I ever tried (and an increased ink capacity, BTW).

Will try the EEL trick on some pens where the fillIng unit is trIcky to remove, but for MB 146/149 (and Pel M800/M1000) I'll keep doing it myself.

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#14 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Antique

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2012 - 19:41

I just wanted to report back on this. It took me a while to work up the courage, but I finally tried this on my Thomas Mann. It was incredibly easy, actually. The tool I bought slipped around a lot, as the part that was supposed to lock into the holes at the back of the piston were quite small. I had to be super careful not to slip and scratch the pen.

BUT ... with patience I got it out and lubed the inside of the barrel up. Honestly, it was easier to put back together than my TWSBI!

Up next is the Christie. And I'm really happy not to have to send them into MB whenever I need the barrel relubed.

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:08

The tool I bought slipped around a lot, as the part that was supposed to lock into the holes at the back of the piston were quite small. I had to be super careful not to slip and scratch the pen.

After engaging the tool into the filler slots, tighten the filler knob down over it so that the tool is held securely between the pen and the knob. This way the tool will never slip and mar the pen. HTH. Hari