Lettering And Letter Size

Ink Sandwich

How large do you normally write, and how large do you write when doing calligraphy?

While trying to learn various calligraphy styles, I've always wondered - Why do they all recommend such big letter sizes (x-height)? Usually, it's something around 5 mm, or even larger, and I've always wondered why, thinking "Wow that is huge!' And I've frequently come across threads here about Copperplate and other styles where people write that their minimum height is at least 4 mm and that they found it difficult to write smaller.

Is there any reasoning behind this, or is it just a personal preference by the authors / teachers? Are there any (calligraphic) benefits from writing so large?

I have a fairly small handwriting (x height around 2 mm). So, learning different calligraphy styles using the recommended size would not only mean that I had to learn the new forms; it basically feels like a different kind of writing altogether. Plus, I find that smaller fonts just look so much more appealing and elegant.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• DanF

• beak

• Columba Livia

It really depends on the hand you're studying. For many styles, like Copperplate and Italic, letter form is paramount. For others, notably Spencerian, rhythm and spacing are more important. Consequently, one learns at the scale most conducive to capturing the spirit of the hand. With italic and copperplate, I began fairly large, which worked well for me. But, for Spencerian I didn't really make much progress until I dropped the x-height to 2mm. Till then, my attempts looked like brain damaged copperplate. It was only at the smaller x-heights that I began to get the sense of Spencerian's flow and momentum. Depending on the nib I'm using, my x-height for Spencerian now runs from 1.5 - 2mm, with my best looking writing coming at the smaller figure.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

It's generally thought that larger sizes of lettering are preferable when learning, as any deviations and flaws are more noticable. Once competency has been acquired, the lettering can be reduced in size to a more comfortable level.

However, Mickey's point about his experience with Spencerian, is perfectly understandable. There are, undoubtedly, occasions when smaller is better!

Ken

Edited by caliken

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting to learn Spencerian. My normal cursive x height is about 4mm, I can't imagine trying to make shades at 1.5 or 2mm.

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

That's wonderful to watch!

While viewing, a thought occurred which you may be able to clarify for me; at what speed do you think copyists, clerks and scribes worked in the heyday of this script? At this sort of speed?

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

While viewing, a thought occurred which you may be able to clarify for me; at what speed do you think copyists, clerks and scribes worked in the heyday of this script? At this sort of speed?

At normal size, I can write this style a little faster, but it's never going to be quick, because of the constant variation in shading.

I can't see how this style could ever have been written at note-taking speed. I'm sure that they had more time in the heyday of this script and I remember seeing a record somewhere, of a page of lettering taking a day to complete.

Certainly, when I worked on Heraldic documents at the Court of the Lord Lyon, I considered it good going if I completed the lettering of an A3 sheet of vellum in a single day. Admittedly, that included the time taken on layout and general preparation.

Ken

Edited by caliken

At normal size, I can write this style a little faster, but it's never going to be quick, because of the constant variation in shading.

I can't see how this style could ever have been written at note-taking speed.................

Thanks.

My only experience of seeing the same general sort of script done at any greater speed was my father showing me the thick and thin strokes of his normal hand (made with a pencil) in the early 1960s. Nothing like the precision of your example, of course, but the variation was again produced by pressure on every down-stroke. A revenant form of English (we are) copperplate, I guess. His writing was also small; not much bigger than your recent sample.

Now that I think of it, my hand (despite various teachings to the contrary) is based on his, though bigger and far less formal, for which read 'neat'! Glad to have found your YouTube channel - will be spending time there.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-16548-1334241698792.jpg

Edited by GClef

Ken, thank you again for being such a fountain of inspiration.

Cheers,

sunsparkle

PS: I love your Book on Italic Variants!

“I prefer an interesting vice to a virtue that bores” - Molière

Just for curiosity I tried Spencerian at 2mm x height. It wasn't as bad as I had thought, but I need readers to write that small. I wish that some of the traditional writing samples one sees had information as to the letter height, pretty hard to tell with nothing there for reference.

Dan

Ken, thank you again for being such a fountain of inspiration.

PS: I love your Book on Italic Variants!

Thanks, Sunsparkle. I'm glad that you like the book.

Ken

GClef,

Your writing is already attractive and accomplished but.....it's so much easier with a dip nib in an oblique holder!

If you haven't already tried it, you're in for a real treat! :P

Ken

Just for curiosity I tried Spencerian at 2mm x height. It wasn't as bad as I had thought, but I need readers to write that small. I wish that some of the traditional writing samples one sees had information as to the letter height, pretty hard to tell with nothing there for reference.

Dan

That 2mm x height is pretty standard for me. The large lined Michael Sull practice pads are 3mm, the small lined 2mm. (The example I posted of my handwriting in another thread, while not strictly Spencerian, was done somewhat larger for reproduction sake.) I believe a lot of the classic work we see is that small. You can get some sense of scale by examining hairlines and, where visible, guide lines, and consider how many words are on each line, as x-height also affects letter width. The notes I've received from Michael Sull also have pretty small x-heights.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I'm currently learning roundhand ("Anglais") from a French book published, judging from the dates given in an exemplar, in 1855 or 56. It is of the Cairstarian school and just called "cours d'ecriture". Interestingly it was written with the steel dip pen (as opposed to the quill) in mind and states that the steel pen is best for the forms of Anglais.

My French isn't very good, but with the help of Google translate I've been able to muddle through it (and the wood engravings are clear enough anyhow). The x-heights (or "corps d'ecriture") it has you work your way through are:

gros - 15mm

demi-gros - 10mm

moyen - 5mm

petit-moyen - 3mm

demi-fin - 2mm

l'expidee - 1mm(!)

At the 15mm height you have various pieces that go together to make minscules to work through and nn mm ccc sss and xxx. 10mm moves onto words: plus qu'un metal sans valeur, then at 5mm you get Les hommes qui aiment a se vanter sont comme ces armes dorees dont le dehors semble precieux : olex la superficie, vous ne trouverz and there are two plates with all the majescules and miniscules. There are additional plates with petit-moyen, demi-fin and l'expidee copies/exercises.

15mm and 10mm x-heights really help highlight mistakes and makes it much easier to judge the size/consistency of interior/exterior spaces &c. and the width of shades. I've only been writing at those sizes so far, but I believe it has had some benefits to my handwriting (normally about 3mm x-height).

In addition, I have "Foster's Penmanship Illustrated" by Benjamin Franklin Foster and published in 1843. He was another one who taught Carstairs method, and he presented in that book a series of alphabetical copies. Although there are no explicit measurements given, I measured the x-heights:

(Large) Text Hand (approx. 8.7mm)

Round Hand (4.7mm)

Small Hand (2.5mm)

Current Hand (2mm)

In both cases, it is only the smallest sizes: l'expidee and current hand, which are supposed to be cursive, and Foster states that writing with speed requires particular and separate instruction.

Foster very strongly supported large x-heights as a means of learning:

As well might we expect a person to paint a picture combining the force and energy of an Angelo, with the graces of a Raphael, and the colouring of a Titian without first going through the initiatory steps of the painter's art. As well attempt to rival a Paganini on the violin without learning the notes of music or a Taglioni in dancing without exercising and disciplining the limbs as to expect to attain an elegant and masterly use of the pen without the preliminary practice of large text and round hand

[...]

I am convinced from the most decisive experiments that nothing has so great a tendency to promote the speedy attainment of this art as the practice of large text. It strengthens the muscles, prevents all cramped and effeminate habits, gives great facility of execution and prepares the pupil to write a current hand with freedom and ease.

It serves also to fix in the mind a just idea of the proportions of the several parts of the letters at the same time that the pupil is habituated to a steady and continued movement of the fingers and hand. The pupil should write slowly, carefully and with the most pointed attention to the forms, proportions and slanting position of the letters as well as to the manner of holding the pen.

[...]

should his writing become feeble and irregular by reducing it let him return to large text which will speedily correct it.

Edited by Columba Livia

Here's Copperplate at 2mm high written with a crowquill nib.

Ken

Just watched a few of your other vids on YouTube; now even further inspired to learn more about calligraphy and improve my handwriting in the process.

Now having three FPs with cursive italic or stub nibs and needing a place to start, I just ordered your Italic Variants book. Look forward to receiving.

Dave

I work regularly for Art Galleries and Picture Framers - lettering on picture mounts and on gold leaf plaques for pinning to picture frames. Miniaturizing lettering on gold leaf whilst trying to maintain the classic square edged thin/thick strokes, is difficult. The tablet is 85 x 15mm. The x height of the lettering is 2mm.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/tablet336.jpg

Edited by caliken

Just watched a few of your other vids on YouTube; now even further inspired to learn more about calligraphy and improve my handwriting in the process.

Now having three FPs with cursive italic or stub nibs and needing a place to start, I just ordered your Italic Variants book. Look forward to receiving.

Dave

Thanks for the endorsement, Dave.

Ken --- I have enjoyed watching you videos as well. One thing that seems to be lacking in any videos I've found on the web is an example of writing a basic, unadorned Specerian or any similar hand, such as the Vere Foster, at a normal speed- that is- what one might actually use to write a letter or some such similar endeavor. It would be helpful to know what is a reasonable speed to aspire to. Everything that I've seen so far has been painstakingly slow, which is appropriate for copperplate, but not so much for a letter or document of any length in a business or other work setting.

Could you find time to do such a video? Thanks.

Dan

That 2mm x height is pretty standard for me. The large lined Michael Sull practice pads are 3mm, the small lined 2mm. (The example I posted of my handwriting in another thread, while not strictly Spencerian, was done somewhat larger for reproduction sake.) I believe a lot of the classic work we see is that small. You can get some sense of scale by examining hairlines and, where visible, guide lines, and consider how many words are on each line, as x-height also affects letter width. The notes I've received from Michael Sull also have pretty small x-heights.

I find that Business Writing and, to an extent, Spencerian, are the easiest to write at 2mm height, and there are many, excellent examples in print.

Italic is more difficult, as it isn't easy to see and maintain the thick/thin stroke relationship at a small size.

For me, Copperplate is the most difficult of all at 2mm. Assessing and maintaining the constant thick/thin stroke variation with a flexible nib at such a small size is far from easy.

Ken

Edited by caliken