98 replies to this topic

#61 Frankiex

Frankiex

Person of Interest...........

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 18:27

I have a red medium, currently filled with PR Burgundy (Grades).
This is a favorite among daily users!

#62 JustinL

JustinL

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 19:16

My favorite non-fountain pen to use is the Pilot G-2 gel pen with 0.7mm tip. Does the 78g fountain feel similar?

Not really. I've used G2s with 0.7mm tips, and they're good pens (of their type). But ultimately the 78G feels like a fountain pen, while the G2 feels like a gel ink rollerball pen.

If so, which nib would be comparable to 0.7mm?

My 78G may be abnormally fine, but it actually seems to write a little finer a line than a G2 0.7mm. No, this isn't hyperbole.

Tell you what - I happen to have a G2 in 0.5mm, right here on my desk. It's finer than the G2 0.7mm. I also have my 78G inked up and on my desk. What say I dash off a few sentences with each, scan the result, and post it here? (It's a rhetorical question. I'm gonna do it right now.)

Posted Image

Looks to me like my 78G measures up pretty well against a 0.5mm Pilot G2.

Oh yeah, the black text is from the G2. The green is from the 78G. Paper is 90g Clairefontaine. Ink is Bexley Harmony Green.

(I've added a few more writing samples, including those from a couple of my finer-nibbed fountain pens. And yeah, the Pelikan M200 is filled with Omas Roma Blue 2000, not Aurora Black.)
--
Michael

Wow, thanks for the all the info and for testing out the different pens for me. So, your 78G is the "fine" nib? And does it feel more smooth than the G2?

Thanks.

#63 DAYoung

DAYoung

philosopher/author

• Member - Gold

• 1,373 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:29

My Pilot 78G (teal, fine nib) showed up a couple of days back, but it wasn't until a couple of hours ago that I inked it up. (Bexley Harmony Green ink - I've still got about half a bottle of the stuff left.)

Good lord! This thing writes the finest line of any fountain pen I own. I mean, none of the other pens even come close. For years now, my everyday, utility, "go to" pen has been my Pelikan M200 w/extra fine nib. Well, that Pelikan is like a broad paintbrush, compared to this 78G.

I'm not complaining, really. I guess it'll be good to have one pen in my lineup with a sufficiently fine nib that I can write a sentence or two on a grain of rice.
--
Michael

I was just sent one of these. I've been using it to tattoo my pet amoeba.

I'll still use the M215 for everyday writing, but the 78G is very impressive.
Damon Young
philosopher & author
OUT NOW: Philosophy in the Garden

Posted Image

#64 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 22:04

So, your 78G is the "fine" nib? And does it feel more smooth than the G2?

Yes, it's the fine nib version.

My 78G feels more like a fountain pen than does the G2. It's not so much a question of smoothness, as it is a matter of two different qualities - fountain pen feel vs. gel ink rollerball feel. I suppose you could say the G2 feels smoother but requires more pressure (and is therefore more tiring), but that's like saying my Staedtler Mars Lumograph pencil feels smoother than my Waterman Phileas fountain pen - it pretends (mistakenly, in my opinion) that a direct comparison of relative smoothness between two fundamentally different sorts of writing instruments is particularly meaningful.

Ultimately, if you want to write with a fountain pen, the 78G will be enormously more to your liking than will the Pilot G2. If you want to write with a rollerball, the G2 will be vastly superior to the 78G. If you can't make up your mind which you prefer - fountain pen or gel rollerball - "smoothness" is probably not the most valid criterion upon which to base a decision. Again, in my opinion.

Please forgive me if I'm sounding unresponsive or argumentative about this. That's not my intention, and perhaps I simply fail to fully understand what it is you're trying to figure out.
--
Michael

#65 Tumbleweedtoo

Tumbleweedtoo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:50

After reading this review and the subsequent postings, I ordered my Pilot 78G from an ebay seller. It has not arrived yet. However, in the process of ordering the pen through an ebay seller, I noticed that the best prices I saw for the 78G were for pens shipped from China. One seller even said that he could not ship the 78G from China to Japan. With one of my favorite USA pen companies now outsourcing all of their pen manufacturing to China, it makes me wonder if Pilot is having the 78G made in China; and if so, how many other Japanese pens may be made in China by Pilot and other Japanese companies. Anyone know. :-) If the pens write as well as these posts indicate, I have no concern where the pen is made, just wondering if some Japanese companies are doing what some American companies are doing with regard to pen manufacturing.

All the best,
Tumbleweedtoo

#66 JustinL

JustinL

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:33

I received my 78G from pokydady. Man, it's nice. I have yet to try an expensive pen but this one feels very nice, even on plain old lagal pads or scratch paper. I use the converter and Noodler's Bulletproof Black. I've had it several weeks. Great price and great pen.

#67 brainformat

brainformat

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:27

Hi all.
I've heard that 78g's nibs are replaceable. Is it true? Is it possible to buy a separate nibs?
Thanx a lot!

#68 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:51

Yes, I think the prevailing wisdom around here is that the 78G nibs, and at least the Pilot Prera nibs too, are swappable. I think I've heard about putting italic nibs from Plumix pens in those other two (or something similar). The guy with "watch" in his screen name will no doubt be along here any moment to chime in. Search for his posts on the matter.

Edit: The FPN member's name I referred to above is "watch_art".

Edited by sotto2, 09 July 2010 - 02:20.

ekfh5f.jpg

#69 Blotto

Blotto

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 18:48

I read in another forum a few days ago that Pilot was discontinuing the 78G, and another FPNer corroborated the rumor. I don't know if that is fact, but it was enough to encourage me to run off and get two more of them. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Wonderful little pens.

#70 glennalvia

glennalvia

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 23:25

Just got my 78G's in Black F, Teal M, Forest Green M. They're great pens, simple in design and write so well. One of the best pen purchases I've had!

#71 kahhoewan

kahhoewan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 16:43

Hey to all Pilot 78G Broad owners.

Can the nib be written on its corner tip? Making a fine line?
Posted Image

#72 Black Rose

Black Rose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 16:49

I haven't tried that with mine, but I have made thin-ish lines with the tip of the nib flat on the paper at almost 90 degree angle.

I'll have to try that when I get home and see if it can be done.
In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#73 kahhoewan

kahhoewan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 20:02

I haven't tried that with mine, but I have made thin-ish lines with the tip of the nib flat on the paper at almost 90 degree angle.

Thanks Black Rose, Let me know if it can be done.

Edited by kahhoewan, 02 June 2011 - 20:11.

Posted Image

#74 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 00:34

I just found out about these. I see that pokydady is selling them for $9.99 including shipping. That price sounds good.

My favorite non-fountain pen to use is the Pilot G-2 gel pen with 0.7mm tip. Does the 78g fountain feel similar? If so, which nib would be comparable to 0.7mm?

Thanks.

Exactly. Pokydady seems to be selling them at the "real" price, so to speak. I mean, $50 for this pen?! Geez................
my cheap (inexpensive) pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x2, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Platinum Preppy F x6, Reform 1745, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen

I am nerdier than 21% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get nerdy images and jokes, and talk on the nerd forum!

#75 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:48

Hey to all Pilot 78G Broad owners.

Can the nib be written on its corner tip? Making a fine line?

Not mine. I think no italic or stub nib (like Pilot78g B or BB) ≥ 0.7mm can be written on its corner tip. The nib slit must touch the paper when the nib is writing. However you can rotate your pen and wrist 90º, if you want.

#76 kahhoewan

kahhoewan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:05

Thanks. Would be cool if it did. =T ahh well.
Posted Image

#77 Black Rose

Black Rose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:56

Thanks Black Rose, Let me know if it can be done.

I just tried it and it does not seem possible to lay down any ink at all using the corners.

If I hold the end of the nib flat at 90 degrees to the paper, I do get a line that's actually thinner than my 78G with a fine nib.
In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#78 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2011 - 15:44

I just bought a second Pilot 78G from www.isellpens.com for only $17.99. So, it looks like I did quite well saving some money. I can't afford the prices on Norm's site. No affiliation with isellpens but just another satisfied customer.

I just bought one from Stationery Art for $7.45 (no affiliation, of course) - I didn't know it before ordering, but it seems to be a place in Hong Kong (?). They say it shipped, and to be patient. I hope it wasn't a ruse...
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#79 ghazali

ghazali

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 14:14

I just bought one from Stationery Art for $7.45 (no affiliation, of course) - I didn't know it before ordering, but it seems to be a place in Hong Kong (?). They say it shipped, and to be patient. I hope it wasn't a ruse...

They're legit. I bought one from them and planning another purchase of the B nib. :thumbup:

#80 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:20

They're legit. I bought one from them and planning another purchase of the B nib. :thumbup:

Then maybe I'll order another. Or two....

Thanks for the reassurances.
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#81 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:26

Then maybe I'll order another. Or two....

Thanks for the reassurances.

It does take time to arrive, and they don't notify you of shipping. But I've bought from them a couple of times and I'm very pleased with the 78G pens. I think these pens may no longer be in production, so you may want to order a spare or two

#82 Ravenlunatic

Ravenlunatic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:03

I just found out about these. I see that pokydady is selling them for $9.99 including shipping. That price sounds good.

My favorite non-fountain pen to use is the Pilot G-2 gel pen with 0.7mm tip. Does the 78g fountain feel similar? If so, which nib would be comparable to 0.7mm?

Thanks.

Pokydady also sells 4 pens for $29.00 with shipping less than $5.00. I usually try to buy some once a month to use as giveaway pens. I do love the broad, though. It makes my writing almost acceptable.

The RavenLunatic.....

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:57

I just bought a second Pilot 78G from www.isellpens.com for only $17.99. So, it looks like I did quite well saving some money. I can't afford the prices on Norm's site. No affiliation with isellpens but just another satisfied customer.

Stationary Art is a good, reliable seller.
“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#84 docholt

docholt

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2011 - 21:42

I, like many of you have found the 78G to be a real value. I bought the four colors -red, green, teal and black- with an eye toward keeping those filled with like colors. When I mixed in the other pens for my "standard rotation" the whole idea went out the window. Two or three wet and ready is about all I can manage, but I digress. Nibs are 3 of the B and the black with a BB. I wish that I could report the smoothness found in these nibs by others for mine were "snagger's" on almost any paper. A small dab of Flitz on a sheet of super-fine emery cloth, some water and one or two rep's of "The quick red fox....." and these nibs became much, much easier to use. All three of the B nibs exhibit an even line and are just wet enough with Waterman's Red, Green and Florida Blue. The BB needed smoothing as well but just couldn't keep up the ink flow - Waterman Black - and was a poor starter. Taking a page from the "Repair" forum, I flossed the nib with .003" brass shim stock and su' nuff it worked fine. While the ink flow was improved and the starting problem was reduced it did not go away. With the BB nib I found that I was filling the little converter more often than I liked and the start problem was a pain so, since I didn't have an eye-dropper style pen, the black 78G was to be sacrificed. I pulled out the converter, put some silicon on the threads and filled the barrel about 2/3 full. I screwed the section back on and crossed my fingers. When I inverted the assembled pen it didn't leak. YIPPEEEE! This ink hog can now write a very long time between top-offs and no longer has a problem starting!!

#85 dadoody

dadoody

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 13:02

These pens sell for $10 with free shipping on Ebay.....plenty of them as well.

#86 dadoody

dadoody

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:45

Thanks.

Wow. I just bought mine from pokydady on ebay for 9.99 shipped.

Bad news is: there's an inflation going on....good news is: no one told pokydady ;)

#87 Speedy_Parker

Speedy_Parker

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58

Got mine a week or so ago and it's definitely a nice pen. I love it.

Just a word on purchasing: I got mine from JStationery.com. They shipped it in a bubble wrap envelope with no paperwork, box or anything. Anyone else have this issue with other shippers?

#88 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:04

Just a word on purchasing: I got mine from JStationery.com. They shipped it in a bubble wrap envelope with no paperwork, box or anything. Anyone else have this issue with other shippers?

I bought my several 78Gs off eBay (Korea). They all came in clear plastic sleeves with a tiny Pilot booklet. No boxes.
“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#89 coleam

coleam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2012 - 19:02

The two I got from ebay (pokydady and poky_stationary) just came in plastic sleeves with a piece of cardboard for protection. Pretty sure they originally came in blister packs or loose. I've never seen one with a box.

#90 Kristal

Kristal

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 20:36

Got mine from Stationery Art. It came in a plastic with a small pamphlet.

I like this pen, but the one I got has some issues. I'll probably get a new one and give it another chance.