Photo

This Is Why I Can't Have Nice Things...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:14

Posted Image

I spend 80% of my time on carpet. That would have been no problem. The pen worked it's way up out of my pocket (a feat in itself, it was my front jeans pocket) and fell on the tile floor in the kitchen at work. So, what do I do? Do you think it is covered under warrantee? Or should I just see if some meister can fix it? *sigh*. It's a good thing I got some other really good news today. It blunted the pain. I guess email them and ask how much it would be to fix? *sigh*
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com

#2 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:36

Oh no!!! I hope it can be fixed. If not, I've seen a few of the FPN Passoportos in the classifieds, as some find them too small.
Tamara

#3 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:51

ohhhhh Chupie Posted Image
the photo captures that gorgeous blue color too...
p2p whispers > fix it

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#4 chupie

chupie

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:16

I emailed Stipula with the story and pic. (only have a marketing and sales addy?) and asked them how much it will cost. :bawl:

#5 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Hantu Penanggalan

• Member - Gold

• 824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:20

My Stipula Pinocchio suffered a similar mishap a few years ago and cleanly broke off its blind cap after a fall on to a tiled floor :headsmack:

I put the pen back together using UHU glue :bunny01:

I'm happy to report that my Pinocchio is still in excellent health and in fact is the pen I'm using today :thumbup:

Shahrin B)

#6 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:35

Etruria should be able to repair the pen, so it is good you emailed them....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#7 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:01

Oh no!
You poor thing.

I hope it can be repaired. I dropped a pen myself yesterday & the finial shattered. I took it to the manufacturer's workshop immediately (mine) and it'll get repaired eventually, so I can feel your pain from both ends of the telescope.

Regards,

Richard.

#8 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 21:44

Posted Image

My deepest sympathies. :crybaby:

Last year I dropped my decades-old glass dip pen, smashed into bits. Have yet to find one a quarter as good.

Thankfully, Wim has good relations with the Stipula folks. They'll make it all better.

#9 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 00:29

I had a crack at a similar place in my Passaporto, but just on using it, without a fall.

I read a comment that this material was hard to work for Stipula. Maybe the material was just too thin, and screwing it on the back askew caused a crack.

It is on it's way to Stipula now.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#10 chupie

chupie

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:31

Boy, kudos to Stipula. I sent an email about 10:30 last night and had a reply this a.m. They will have to turn a new cap. I will have to get it packed up and send it to Yafa here.

#11 htran18

htran18

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:01

My Passaporto broke in the same place. It broke 2 weeks after I got my pen in January. Well I sent the pen early February and just this morning I got an email saying it'll be another month since they have to make new caps. Soooo at least you had it longer than I did ><

#12 in02478

in02478

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:17

My Passaporto broke in the same place. It broke 2 weeks after I got my pen in January. Well I sent the pen early February and just this morning I got an email saying it'll be another month since they have to make new caps. Soooo at least you had it longer than I did ><

Hey, same thing happened to my Passaporto last January! I've had the cap/band held together with tape.

#13 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:52

Hey, same thing happened to my Passaporto last January! I've had the cap/band held together with tape.

It's best to contact Etruria, either direct in Italy (see contact address, or via Yafa in the US.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#14 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 19:53

I just had the exact same failure.

#15 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 20:59

Mine broke in the exact same spot! But I used super glue and todate, almost a year now it has held together! Funny thing how these are breaking in the same spots.....

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, Danitrio Fellowship - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#16 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 00:27

Mine broke in the exact same spot! But I used super glue and todate, almost a year now it has held together! Funny thing how these are breaking in the same spots.....

I have had 4 pens repaired by Stipula.
All 4 broken (in so many ways) during a tornado.
They fixed every one of them at no charge, and were happy to keep me informed via e-mail of the progress.
Unless things have drastically changed they are very nice folks.
E-mail them and send them off.

#17 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:55

How long should it take to get a reply, and is the contact info pinned in this topic still the way to go?

#18 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:17

How long should it take to get a reply, and is the contact info pinned in this topic still the way to go?

For Europe, yes (I updated it recently), for the USA you'd best contact Yafa Pens. I don't have their contact info however.

As to how long it takes, I don't know; it varies a lot. They have one part-time person dealing with queries.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#19 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,705 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 19:43

Whew.

For a minute I was hoping someone wasn't going to make me write this thread title 100 times...

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL-non-destroyer of pens

#20 fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:00

Clearly there is something wrong with the design, if so many people are having the same failure.

The pens I have with screw-fastened caps have plastic threads which are cut directly into the cap, and the threaded part of the cap is reinforced against expanding and cracking by a metal band that is inserted into the plastic mold. So the force from twisting the cap is transmitted through a continuous piece of plastic from the point where I hold it to the point where the threads are cut.

The pen in the original post is not designed that way. The threads are part of the metal band, and although metal threads are stronger and less prone to damage from accidental cross-threading, the design of the cap forces the interface between the plastic and the metal to transmit the twisting force every time the cap is tightened or removed. Because that is a mechanical interface between two separate parts, it will eventually fail. Obviously the plastic is going to be the weaker of the two components, so it's no surprise the plastic failed.

That's too bad. Hopefully Stipula will improve their design in the future.

Edited by fyrstormer, 13 November 2012 - 07:03.

#21 silverfish

silverfish

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:21

Clearly there is something wrong with the design, if so many people are having the same failure.

The pens I have with screw-fastened caps have plastic threads which are cut directly into the cap, and the threaded part of the cap is reinforced against expanding and cracking by a metal band that is inserted into the plastic mold. So the force from twisting the cap is transmitted through a continuous piece of plastic from the point where I hold it to the point where the threads are cut.

The pen in the original post is not designed that way. The threads are part of the metal band, and although metal threads are stronger and less prone to damage from accidental cross-threading, the design of the cap forces the interface between the plastic and the metal to transmit the twisting force every time the cap is tightened or removed. Because that is a mechanical interface between two separate parts, it will eventually fail. Obviously the plastic is going to be the weaker of the two components, so it's no surprise the plastic failed.

It's obviously not a very good pen, and I wonder why people buy them?

#22 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2012 - 00:49

It's obviously not a very good pen, and I wonder why people buy them?

I have handled quite a few of them (60+), no problems, so all is relative.

As to something eventually failing: that is true for anything that gets used, full stop, it is that simple. What is more important is when it fails compared to when it is supposed to fail. Some of these fail sooner than they should, but fortunately Stipula tends to repair these without a problem.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#23 Biber

Biber

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:15

Ok, I'll be the bad guy - Just what were you thinking carrying a fountain pen in your front jeans pocket?!!

#24 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:51

Bad, bad guy...

IMHO the front pocket is precisely the best place for this pen.
Where would you put it, being it clipless and so small?

This and a Pilot M90 are the only ones I dare to put there.

I think the problem is than on some specimen the plastic wall is too thin in that area.

My cap broken after a short drop on the floor.
Stipula replaced it (well, it took some time...), the new one seems thicker, so I feel safe enough in putting it in the front pocket (and I bought a red demo one to alternate, in the meantime).

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#25 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:13

Bad, bad guy...

IMHO the front pocket is precisely the best place for this pen.
Where would you put it, being it clipless and so small?

This and a Pilot M90 are the only ones I dare to put there.

I think the problem is than on some specimen the plastic wall is too thin in that area.

My cap broken after a short drop on the floor.
Stipula replaced it (well, it took some time...), the new one seems thicker, so I feel safe enough in putting it in the front pocket (and I bought a red demo one to alternate, in the meantime).

The only pen I would carry in my pants pocket is my aluminium Kaweco Sport.

Don't know the Pilot M90 other than from pics. I would like to own a M90 or Mju .....

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#26 kev77

kev77

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:38

Sheesh! Mine just took a short fall and the cap broke also.

For those in the States who contacted Yafa and sent their pen repair through them, what was the turn around time? What was the cost?

I have my Modelo-T at Yafa now, trying to get it straightened out. After all the flushings I did and converters of Waterman's ink, it still wouldn't write consistently for a couple lines. I hope Clara can help.

As soon as the Passaporto fell I thought I'll never buy a "nice expensive" pen again. I felt sickened.

Edited by kev77, 12 December 2012 - 12:40.

Kevin - Semper Fi

#27 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:55

As soon as the Passaporto fell I thought I'll never buy a "nice expensive" pen again. I felt sickened.

Won't tell you how I felt when my 2 years old daughter thrown away the MB149 (my only "important" FP at that time) I was trying to get back from her hands...

If you're wondering, found the barrel cracked near the piston knob (it shattered completely after a few years of extra careful use).
Positive outcome, while MB was repairing my pen I discovered FPN (so now I have three 149s)...

...and yes, the girl is alive and well...

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#28 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 10,585 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:16

Once you've survived a few losses... you learn, "Eh, okay. Next!"

It might not be immediate, but there will be a next -- and, if you're like me, you'll be more careful, but more care won't guarantee accidents won't happen. Oh! Maybe that's why so many of us have so many pens! To soften the blow of a damaged or lost pen here and there.
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#29 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 10,585 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:16

...and yes, the girl is alive and well...

:-D
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#30 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 8,938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25

......and yes, the girl is alive and well...

Try harder next time!

Regards,

Richard.