Photo

J Herbin Cacao Du Brasil Set To Be Discontinued...?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Synthy Pelikan

Synthy Pelikan

...?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:21

This afternoon, from my usual source for J Herbin inks, I was told that J Herbin's Cacao du Brasil is set to be discontinued! :o Sillily, I forgot to ask why, &c... -_-

So, does anyone know more? Are there any other inks set for the chop? :mellow: Do J Herbin have some new inks in the works, I wonder? Hm...

#2 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:44

Well, I was told by their rep and distributor in the US that some colors generate slime (the contaminate) more readily than others but did not offer which ones were more likely to be contaminated and which were not. I suspect that Cacao du Brazil might be one which generates mold colonies. Just a guess but I think it might be >50% likely. The contamination problem has been going on for over a year and there have been a couple of people on here (like me) who have managed to get contaminated bottles this past year. So, I think the susceptible colors are the ones getting the chop.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#3 daoud62

daoud62

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:12

Maybe because it's a boring, non-descript, blase color???? :embarrassed_smile:

I bought a bottle and have tried it in about 8 different pens, and it just does nothing for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but to my eyes, it looks like a watered-down black. I even mixed it with Pelikan Red and Dragon's Napalm to create a new ink for myself, which I named "Marc de Bourgogne," but the Cacao du Bresil itself I didn't care for.

Now, Lie de The.... :puddle: that's a keeper. As is 1670 Anniversaire!!!

#4 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Antique

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:55

Lierre Sauvage slimed me several times, in several different bottles. I really love the colour, so I was hoping they would just change the ingredients slightly.

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:02

Cacao du Bresil is one of my all-time favorite inks: a gray-black-brown that appears antique and mysterious.

Luckily enough I have an older bottle, before certain agencies got involved with ink production.

#6 orangos

orangos

The unexamined life probably needs a good scrub.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:11

Maybe because it's a boring, non-descript, blase color???? :embarrassed_smile:

Every bit as subjective as those of us who think it's a fantastic colour! I love the stuff and regret that JH don't do 100ml bottles...
Posted Image

#7 orangos

orangos

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:19

[I've tried to add to the above three times without success. Are there board problems this evening or something?]

So, what do we use as a substitute? Something from the Iroshizukus or can we talk Pharmacist into brewing up a dusty-brown IG ink?
Posted Image

#8 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:20

Actually, they do in some colors. Check your usual ink pusher. I got a few the end of last year from our classifieds. :ninja:

#9 RobbW

RobbW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:41

Cacao du Bresil: Just like Whaleman's Sepia. But without all the charm.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

OTOH, if Herbin drops it, maybe Pelikan will pick it up and put it in their Edelstein lineup.

Good grief, I'm getting punchy. Time for bed.

#10 pw1224

pw1224

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:38

Cacao du Bresil is one of my all-time favorite inks: a gray-black-brown that appears antique and mysterious.

Luckily enough I have an older bottle, before certain agencies got involved with ink production.

I wanted to like it but, imho, it honestly looked like pencil markings....

#11 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:45

I think we need to confirm this officially before any false rumors get started. Yes, some of the JH inks were susceptible to SITB but they have been taking steps to recall all those affected inks and replenish with good stock. I have not heard anything about discontinued colors, and they would generally be marked as such in the catalogs if that is the case. I'll inquire, though.

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#12 drifting

drifting

scramblin'

• Member - Gold

• 1,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:49

So, what do we use as a substitute? Something from the Iroshizukus or can we talk Pharmacist into brewing up a dusty-brown IG ink?

R&K Sepia comes fairly close, IMO. Take a quick look here to see them almost side by side.

Ryan.

#13 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:20

I think we need to confirm this officially before any false rumors get started. Yes, some of the JH inks were susceptible to SITB but they have been taking steps to recall all those affected inks and replenish with good stock. I have not heard anything about discontinued colors, and they would generally be marked as such in the catalogs if that is the case. I'll inquire, though.

Thanks for looking into this, Rachel. I'd be very sorry to see this ink go and am hoping this is just a horrible, nightmarish rumor. I'm still reeling from the Pelikan Blue-Black catastrophe.

#14 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:54

R&K Sepia comes fairly close, IMO. Take a quick look here to see them almost side by side.

Ryan.

R & K Sepia is also the first ink I thought of as a Cacao Du Brasil. Speaking of which there's should be a bottle of R & K Sepia enroute to me in the mail.

#15 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,638 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:26

Cacao De Brasil...was once on my buy list. It is not now, even though I got this rush out and buy it before it vanishes urge.
That urge got conquered.

Perhaps if I was to see it on the right paper with the right nib on reviews I'd change my mind.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#16 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:23

I confirmed it is NOT being discontinued.

There were a few colors discontinued in cartridge form, maybe that's where the confusion kicked in? And as I mentioned, there are some colors that are being reformulated due to the SITB issues so there are some temporary out-of-stock issues. But nothing being discontinued from their bottles.

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#17 orangos

orangos

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:50

Ryan.

Good call, Ryan. R&K inks are comparatively cheap in the UK so I'll order a bottle and see. Thanks!
Posted Image

#18 orangos

orangos

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:54

There were a few colors discontinued in cartridge form, maybe that's where the confusion kicked in? And as I mentioned, there are some colors that are being reformulated due to the SITB issues so there are some temporary out-of-stock issues. But nothing being discontinued from their bottles.

Phew. Thanks for checking -- you're a wonderful human being. :notworthy1:

Now, by the means of time, patience and some group letter-writing therapy, perhaps fans of Cacao du Bresil can convince its detractors that it really is a wonderful ink. :lol:
Posted Image

#19 Synthy Pelikan

Synthy Pelikan

...?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:36

Thank you for making things clear, MrsGouletPens. :)

[...] I'm still reeling from the Pelikan Blue-Black catastrophe.

What exactly was/is the 'Pelikan Blue-black catastrophe'? :huh: (I intend to use Peli' 4001 Blue-black ink with a new M600 I'm saving for.)

#20 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:15

There are some govt restrictions in the USA that prevent Pelikan from bringing the Blue Black into the states. I just use Diamine RI and R&K Salix.

#21 Synthy Pelikan

Synthy Pelikan

...?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:42

There are some govt restrictions in the USA that prevent Pelikan from bringing the Blue Black into the states. I just use Diamine RI and R&K Salix.

I see. Thanks for the swift answer. :)

#22 Torculus Resupinus

Torculus Resupinus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2012 - 20:08

I haven't tried Cacao du Brésil, so I can't comment on the ink itself, but I do have a very high regard for R&K Sepia, so long as you use it in a fairly wet nib. This may affect JH CdB as well? I have tried JH Lie de thé and like it very much, but that's a very different kind of brown.