#1 csaywhat

csaywhat

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:50

I've been carrying a Field Notes notebook with me everywhere for the past couple weeks now, and, as many of you have found, the only real problem is durability. Not willing to drop $50 on a leather cover that would only add unnecessary bulk, I figured I'd try to cover it with a paper bag like I used to cover my old textbooks. Man, it worked like a charm. For those of you unfamiliar with covering textbooks, here are some great online instructions: Make a Paper Bag Book cover

Here are pictures. Fyi, I used a rubber stamp to decorate the front cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 csaywhat

csaywhat

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:39

I've been carrying a Field Notes notebook with me everywhere for the past couple weeks now, and, as many of you have found, the only real problem is durability. Not willing to drop $50 on a leather cover that would only add unnecessary bulk, I figured I'd try to cover it with a paper bag like I used to cover my old textbooks. Man, it worked like a charm. For those of you unfamiliar with covering textbooks, here are some great online instructions: Make a Paper Bag Book cover

Here are pictures. Fyi, I used a rubber stamp to decorate the front cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

with an added elastic band and ribbon
Photo on 2012-03-18 at 21.38.jpg

#3 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:53

Sweet! I'm going to show this to my kids, they could use the lesson in resourcefulness!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#4 estie1948

estie1948

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:06

Good job and thanks for the tip! I also covered textbooks that way, but it never occurred to me to cover Field Notes this way. Thanks!

-David.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#5 DonaSang

DonaSang

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:25

It's fantastic!! I am sure i will use soon
Thanks for share it.

Sweet! I'm going to show this to my kids, they could use the lesson in resourcefulness!

Dona sangre, salva vidas

Posted Image

#6 Steveareno

Steveareno

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:16

What would be even better is to take a piece of Tyvek, like they use (if they still do) for FedEx envelopes. Then you'd have a weather proof cover.

I remember when I was in school, we were required to cover our textbooks. The state wanted to preserve them from wear and tear as much as possible. The schools provided waxed paper sheets designed specifically to cover our textbooks. The first thing we did in each class on the first day was cover our textbooks

#7 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 21:01

I've been using grocery bag covers for decades. They're great to doodle on. If you do incorporate the Tyvek, then make the Tyvek cover first, then make a brown paper bag cover over the Tyvek.
CFTPM

#8 Speedy_Parker

Speedy_Parker

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:00

Most excellent indeed. I recently made a couple of covers for some new paperback books using a heavy duty sheet protector from one of the office supply stores. Works like a charm and you can see the cover of the book too.