Phileas Prices Skyrocketing?

CountryDoc

No problem, I think it fair to say, we all find trying to correctly date pens of interest. Please post the FPN link.

Well, TBH, the thread was old enough that there were three or four links to the file that had expired over time, and I finally tracked it down. I doubt I would have remembered, thank goodness for Firefox History tracking!

I don't remember who the member was that posted it, sorry that I'm not giving proper attribution. The catalog is held in Google docs, currently:

Waterman Pen Catalogue 1990 - 2000 (pdf)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• JonSzanto

• Beechwood

• Scrawler

Worked perfectly - WOW! I have never seen any of those second set of finishes! Are the two images from two differing catalogs, or just two different pages? Thanks so much, those are awfully lovely for a modest pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

They are from 2 different year A5 catalogues. I have the full size catalogues but the pens are the same and it was easier doing the A5's. If you click on my Waterman Pens page in my footer you will see an Indus Grey against the marble Red & Blue.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

Sold a new one with a broad nib last night on ebay.com that only fetched £26, boxed and better than that one at £41, I must be doing something wrong!

Sold a new one with a broad nib last night on ebay.com that only fetched £26, boxed and better than that one at £41, I must be doing something wrong!

Ahhh yours was a Green Marble that one was an Amazon Green which is from the first version. With a collector it has the slight edge.

Edited by Force

Ahhh yours was a Green Marble that one was an Amazon Green which is from the first version. With a collector it has the slight edge.

IHave two Philii, both green marble, the one that was sold last night was a later model and a different shade of green, hint of blue there. My other Phileas is much older, 1980s pen from memory.

The Waterman Phileas is one of the few modern pens where the price is going up.

I have two Philii, both green marble, the one that was sold last night was a later model and a different shade of green, hint of blue there. My other Phileas is much older, 1980s pen from memory.

The Waterman Phileas is one of the few modern pens where the price is going up.

Sounds like a good buy for someone.

Here is one from the 60's or before :rolleyes: if true it could be worth £100's.

Edited by Force

Seems there are currently 2 Phileas pens for sale here. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Seems there are currently 2 Phileas pens for sale here. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

The remaining pen, an early issue Amazon Green, is suffering from steel nib corrosion. But the fairly rare appearance of this colour would make it worth grabing at that price because the section can easily be replaced.

I have also put a link to an Indus Grey in the USA over on Market Watch

Edited by Force

There is only one seller, and it's not this chap

fpn_1332025080__monty.jpg

who that offers them at that price.

Regarding the photo of Bernard Law Montgomery I read that he was given an Aurora in Sicily and he used that for years ???? (But no doubt he would have approved of a Philaes, I do.)

Best wishes

Tom Aquinas :meow:

Indus Grey, Mississippi Red, Marble Red, Marble Blue & Black

fpn_1333129803__dscn1266.jpg

Why are the patterns on the Marble Red and Marble Blue exactly the same except for the color?

I was under the impression that the plastic was an actual mixture of colors, but that would not produce exact duplicates.

Is the finish painted on?

Why are the patterns on the Marble Red and Marble Blue exactly the same except for the color?

I was under the impression that the plastic was an actual mixture of colors, but that would not produce exact duplicates.

Is the finish painted on?

I just opened up my M. Red, and the plastic on the inside of the barrel is basically white. The colors certainly don't run through the entire pen, like a celluloid pen. Upon inspection, I think it is pretty clear it is a pattern that is applied (painted?). Oddly enough, the pattern on my M. Red matches the one in the above photo!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Whatever method they used to produce the pattern it applies to both the early and later models.

Also the FP has the same pattern as the RB while the BP has the same pattern as the pencil.