2011 Noodler's Ink Artist Prize

threeamigos

I know that the contest only closed a week ago, but was wondering if anybody heard if a winner was announced. Some pretty nice art work was submitted.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eternally Noodling

• oldcards

• SamCapote

• bitterwonder

I am waiting to hear as well. Hopefully Nathan will at least post an announcement date.

Would be great if he releases a video that announces the winner. I got a dog in the hunt so I am excited to find out!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I keep watching Nathan's YouTube channel waiting for the video...

At least I hope the announcement is via a "Nathan's Famous Video!"

I'm sure it isn't an easy decision to make and is taking some time. Maybe we can soon get a date when he plans on announcing the winner.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised by a box from Noodler's today. Inside were 2 pens and a bottle of ink for my entries!

My wife recieved 1 pen and 1 bottle for her entry. Both had wonderful letters that could have only been written by Nathan.

Hopefully we will hear who won the grand prize soon. Can't wait to see what art won!

Andy

I was surprised by a box from Noodler's today. Inside were 2 pens and a bottle of ink for my entries!

My wife recieved 1 pen and 1 bottle for her entry. Both had wonderful letters that could have only been written by Nathan.

Hopefully we will hear who won the grand prize soon. Can't wait to see what art won!

Andy

That's great news, Andy! What type of pen and what ink did you receive? I am curious to see if other folks receive the same or different pens and inks. I entered some art in the contest, but have not received anything yet.

-Mark

I also got a box from Noodler's today, hurrah!!

Inside were two pens and a bottle of ink, plus a letter signed by Nathan himself. What really impressed me is that on the mailing label and also on the letter is a thumbnail of the original artwork that I sent :)

The pens are a Konrad flex nib in a lovely burgundy with a pearlescent swirled barrel and clear ink window, and a Neponset in green & black ebonite. The ink is called Rome Burning - have not heard of it before but it's a lovely coppery shade. Have not seen the Neponset before either - it has a flex nib and a filler like the Ahab, but looks something like the original ebonite Noodler's pens - cigar shaped. I am so surprised and pleased!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

And congrats to all of the other winners!!!

Congrats to all!!!

I would love to see pictures of the pens and ink you all are getting as well as the art you submitted. That would be awesome!

Thanks,

-Nick

I too was impressed by all of the great entries in the contest.

The Konrad pen is a nice mate to my Konrad pen brush. Both piston fillers.

The Neponset (Blimp) flex pen I've dubbed "Big Eb" is my dream art pen. A large pen made of mostly ebonite fits nicely in my hand. Perfect for larger drawings. I can only imagine how much ink it will hold as a eyedropper!

The "Rome Burning" ink is interesting. It seems to come out of my pen brush reddish and then turns to a golden brown.

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I too received a box today.

A Konrad fountain pen in burgundy and a bottle of Rome Burning ink.

It is too dark at home to see the color but I am delighted with this surprise.

I had been wanting a Konrad pen; I like my brush pen very much.

Thank you Noodler's and Mr Tardiff.

I wonder if this is a contest exclusive ink or an interesting way to preview what may perhaps be a new "Roses" type ink given that it seems to be getting given away with flex pens.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I too recieved the ebonite blimp pen and the resin Konrad flex. The ebonite pen has the Ahab filler. The Konrad is a red and pearl swirl.

I haven't tried the Rome Burning ink yet but I will post some pics soon.

Below are a few pics....

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize01.jpg

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize02.jpg

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize03.jpg

Thank you Noodler's and Nathan! Great prizes for sure!

Edited by oldcards

fpn_1335229813__neponset.jpg

The Neponset is even larger than the Ahab, uses the same piston filling mechanism, and seems to have the same feed and nib. This is a lovely brown and black swirl ebonite -- very classic.

The Konrad is smaller than the Ahab, and quite similar in dimension and heft to my Pelikan M205 rollerball. The nib has more tipping material than any other Noodler's pen I've encountered, and is actually very smooth. The feed is flowing a bit rich right now, but I'll be able to tweak it.

The "Rome Burning" ink is the golden brown ink you see in the photo. It looks like prune juice in the bottle, but on paper the yellow component takes over.

Thanks to Nathan for being so generous with us on this contest. I was not expecting to get next-gen gear! And thanks to Dick Egolf for doing so much work on the contest logistics.

Regards,

Doug

EDIT: PS, read the insert paper for the Neponset. Nathan made it up special for us contestants. And apparently Nathan's grandfather was a blimp pilot.

Also, I suppose it won't hurt for me to add that I vote for R. Alzofon's catfish tornado piece as the winner. It's a great concept wickedly well executed. Many, many great entries, though.

Edited by DEFishback

I too recieved the ebonite blimp pen and the resin Konrad flex. The ebonite pen has the Ahab filler. The Konrad is a red and pearl swirl.

I haven't tried the Rome Burning ink yet but I will post some pics soon.

Below are a few pics....

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize01.jpg

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize02.jpg

http://www.andybroome.com/noodlersprize03.jpg

Thank you Noodler's and Nathan! Great prizes for sure!

Congratulations! I love the ink bottle, with Thomas Jefferson and the words about a frugal government. I love all the wonderful ideas Nathan has.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Thanks for the pics everyone! :thumbup:

The pics of the pen look like they are made of the same "black walnut" ebonite that one of my Konrad ebonite flex pens that showed up today is made of. I wouldn't be surprised if there are "jade ebony" ebonite and "chestnut" ebonite versions of your contest prize pens as well. They look like awesome pens that I would love to have, not that I would ever ask any of you to give yourse up.

Any of you lucky winners willing to do an ink review of your new ink? I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

-Nick

Congratulations to all the winners. Nathan's youtube post does show all the entries. I am impressed with all the great artwork.

I don't envy Nathan for having to have to judge between all the amazing entries.

I'm totally envious of everyone's talent.

Also sounds as if I may want to look into getting one of the Konrad FPs. I had gotten a Flex Piston because it was a bit less expensive than an Ahab, and tried it last night for the first time. I like it, but I'm thinking that it is extremely light. Sounds, from someone's description here, that a Konrad is sized between a Flex and an Ahab -- is that righr? (Also sounds as if a Neponset is going to be way too large for my small hands....)

Congratulations to all the people who won stuff.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just received a box from Noodler's as well – 2 pens and a lovely bottle of ink. It looks like the FPN has quite the showing in this contest. :)

Congrats to everyone!

the flexistentialist