#1 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 16:01

Part Five.

I started writing with dip pens, hard steel nibs, and this nib feels like that, like the best ever rigid nib I'd ever used. I like flexible nibs, sure (see above) but, my view, rigid nibs suit the hooded section of a “51”. It's a pen I use for day to day note-taking, writing at a bit of a lick when inspiration strikes, and everything about the pen works for me. It's big and bold, always feels balanced, whether held as I like – thumb and index finger at the choke ring, middle finger under, moving up or down text as I edit, correct, draw.

So, the operation is a success. My classy “51” is good as new. Yes, I know what you're thinking. Silly old Brit (Mick, actually, but way back)- doesn't he realize the ink window will give the game away? Well, yes, but these things are relative. Purists will look down their noses, no doubt, but I don't care. I love writing with my rescued workaday pen.

IMG_0016.JPG

fpn.JPG
Arjay.

#2 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:27

Is this the last bit? I was hoping by the end I would make some sense out of this.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Parker 51 Pen Tube PIF

#3 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:44

Is this the last bit?

--Yes.

I was hoping by the end I would make some sense out of this.

--Oh.

Arjay.

#4 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:49

I'll go back to the start and try again.

edit - okay, done. Part four is my major stumbling block, I don't understand what you are on about. You have a black Parker 51 with a snapped hood and a bent nib. Then you buy a Hero 616 and... what? What is you you are offering up to the 51??

Edited by Flounder, 06 March 2012 - 18:03.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Parker 51 Pen Tube PIF

#5 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 18:58

I'll go back to the start and try again.

-- No need, dear boy, but do if it's that important to you.

edit - okay, done. Part four is my major stumbling block, I don't understand what you are on about. You have a black Parker 51 with a snapped hood and a bent nib. Then you buy a Hero 616 and... what? What is you you are offering up to the 51??

-- I rather think your major stumbling blocks are a literal mind, comprehension difficulties and chronic angst. Perhaps one of the engineering types here will explain to you what "offering up" means. Then, if I may presume to suggest, perhaps you should consider avoiding my heteroclitic posts.

Arjay.

#6 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:04

Wow. There's no need to be derisive. What part of the 616 are you offering up to the 51?

#7 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:28

Ah! The denoument, as it were....Glad for the happy ending!
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#8 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:30

What was the ending?

#9 bbodson

bbodson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:33

Success! Have you considered Teflon plumbers tape for when it is replacement time? I use it for all similar make-shift operations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

#10 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:37

Success! Have you considered Teflon plumbers tape for when it is replacement time? I use it for all similar make-shift operations.

A man that knows how to make do....Could there be two?

#11 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 20:33

-- I'm pretty sure I'll call on a professional service should I ever inflict similar damage on any of my pens.

Arjay.

#12 Pickwick

Pickwick

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:00

What was the ending?

I think it was about offering the nib section of the Hero to the barrel of his original 51 which was resisting this foreign object {who could blame it?} being introduced, thereby necessitating the need to build up the thread of the Hero section with Scotchtape in order for them to join together and live happily everafter. The suggestion to use Teflon tape to facilitate this is a much better idea.

I'm still a bit puzzled because Parker 51 pens are still plentiful and easy to replace.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#13 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:06

As the OP is keeping quiet, can someone else let me know what was going on in part 4? His lack of narrative flow and heteroclitic aversion to paragraphs give my literal mind  comprehension difficulties and chronic angst. 

#14 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:08

Oh, thanks. So the barrel of the 51 is on the section of the 616. 

#15 Pickwick

Pickwick

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:22

As the OP is keeping quiet, can someone else let me know what was going on in part 4? His lack of narrative flow and heteroclitic aversion to paragraphs give my literal mind comprehension difficulties and chronic angst.

My only concern, that the genuine 51 barrel has a fake Hero 616 attached to it. If that's the case then I offer my sympathies for the barrel suffering this humiliation! I only hope that this is not brought to the attention of the Parker forum, the outcome might not be pretty.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#16 bbodson

bbodson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:22

that's not a suggestion for the next pen. You stated that you only expected this to last a few fillings. When you have to replace it, teflon has no adhesive, stretches better, and should last about forever once in place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

#17 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:39

okay bear with me I'm confused again. Why put the black 51 barrel on the black 616? They are identical in external size, shape and colour. The only difference is the thread pitch... Is this some sort of Dada exercise?

#18 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 22:01

that's not a suggestion for the next pen. You stated that you only expected this to last a few fillings. When you have to replace it, teflon has no adhesive, stretches better, and should last about forever once in place.

Ah! Of course, forgive me, doddering old fool. Taking that on board, I'm tempted now to go ahead and get some. I have concerns about the sellotape glue oozing all over the join, I must say.

Thank you.
Arjay.

#19 Pickwick

Pickwick

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:04

Ah! Of course, forgive me, doddering old fool. Taking that on board, I'm tempted now to go ahead and get some. I have concerns about the sellotape glue oozing all over the join, I must say.

Thank you.

No apologies necessary we were only having a bit of fun. You're in good company, believe me.

Best wishes,

Pickwick

Edited by Pickwick, 07 March 2012 - 07:04.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#20 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2012 - 14:06

Thank you.

No apologies necessary we were only having a bit of fun. You're in good company, believe me.

Best wishes,

Pickwick

T'is very true! :P

#21 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:08

Plot summary for Flounder:

Beloved 51 dropped whilst taking notes, lands on nib and bends it back 90 degrees. Straightens nib best as possible but that didn't make it write. Tried to pull nib with pliers with hood still in place and broke nib and hood. To keep the well loved 51, ordered a hero and used the nib/hood/filler unit to screw into the 51 body to keep the original body and cap. Hero parts did not fit perfectly so used tape to facalitate threading into the 51. Thus a heart transplant to keep the loved 51 alive.

Enjoyed the whole story by the way, glad to hear that the 51 lives on!

PAKMAN formerly pakmanpony

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#22 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:36

Beloved 51 dropped whilst taking notes, lands on nib and bends it back 90 degrees. Straightens nib best as possible but that didn't make it write. Tried to pull nib with pliers with hood still in place and broke nib and hood. To keep the well loved 51, ordered a hero and used the nib/hood/filler unit to screw into the 51 body to keep the original body and cap. Hero parts did not fit perfectly so used tape to facalitate threading into the 51. Thus a heart transplant to keep the loved 51 alive.

:clap1:

#23 Quaysider

Quaysider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 19:04

Thank you.

Not wanting to push my luck with a Part 6 I'll just say my "51" is transformed. The "616" nib makes a beautiful mark with the lightest pressure, dries word by word, writes first touch overnight (probably longer) and (I estimate, having written a thousand plus today) a tankful will last forever. All these things often occurred before the transplant but rarely at the same time. I'm grateful to the nutt ... members of FPN for nuggets various.
Arjay.

#24 Pickwick

Pickwick

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 00:25

Thank you.

Not wanting to push my luck with a Part 6 I'll just say my "51" is transformed. The "616" nib makes a beautiful mark with the lightest pressure, dries word by word, writes first touch overnight (probably longer) and (I estimate, having written a thousand plus today) a tankful will last forever. All these things often occurred before the transplant but rarely at the same time. I'm grateful to the nutt ... members of FPN for nuggets various.

Here's wishing you many more postings. Many thanks for taking it all in good part. Your initiation has now been completed.

Someone posted a request asking for a recipe to make edible ink! One thread gave a suggestion for reducing a gallon of wine down to 3 ounces. Just sneaking off to my laboratory with a gallon of Cabernet Sauvignon. It may prove very apt for your "Frankenpen!"

Cheers!

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#25 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2012 - 00:56

Here's wishing you many more postings. Many thanks for taking it all in good part. Your initiation has now been completed.

Cheers!

Pick, I think you've got it twisted.....It's we who have been initiated.....Posted Image
I'm dying for subsequent installments....Posted Image

#26 Pickwick

Pickwick

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:02

Cheers!

Pick, I think you've got it twisted.....It's we who have been initiated.....Posted Image
I'm dying for subsequent installments....Posted Image

You're so right! Initially I just took one shoe and sock off in order to dip my innocent toe into FPN merely to enquire about finding a source for stationery. A huge wave of enthusiastic members engulfed me with their help, and here I am blissfully floating amongst you all in a rainbow sea of ink and and a profusion of pens.

With a contented smile and wave to my fellow compatriots,

Pickwick

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick