Substitute For Early P-51 Aero Collector Plug/rod/spacer

OcalaFlGuy

So either my Teal/GF '49 didn't have one when I got it or I lost it. Regardless, it's gone. :(

(Yes, I mean the little black rod in the non nib end of the collector to keep the collector opened.)

I have two suggestions so far, pencil lead from El Zorno and a very ingenious one from PenFisher of the retail price tag nylon strings shaped like this I----------------I. (The dotted line is a solid nylon string in real life.)

This is ingenious as if you grab one of the T ends and yank it, you'll stretch out and reduce the diameter of the string such that you just snip down it til you find a section the correct diameter for the micro channel. (I've got a clear one, but picky butt me will likely have to find a "correct" black price tag "string" if someone doesn't have a better idea.)

What do you use?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• rhr2010

• Richard

• Flounder

Shirley I can't be the only one who's needed to replace this. :unsure:

I've searched me fingers bleedin' raw and I can't find JACK about this. My Googler was smokin' I was runnin' it so hard. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I'm certainn I saw a post about this a long time ago. I could have sworn it was one of yours!! There were photographs, and it was advised that a piece of photographic negative would be an okay substitute.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I saw that too but it was the only specific suggestion I could find. My thought was even if you trimmed it just so, it wouldn't be a nice circular fit like the original.

There was a post by Peter Fred where he said any inert material would work.

Good memory though, but it wasn't my post.

I think the post you may be thinking of was the "Is my collector supposed to look like this" post. It wasn't about the rod spacer but did have really good and clear collector pics.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

How strange. If this is the post you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it's not the one I was thinking of. I hope this isn't all a figment of my imagination, but the post I was thinking had photos of an older style of collector with a seperate, removable shim. I will start searching myself before it drives me nuts.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Ok I found the post I was thinking of. It has photos of the spacer shim, but no mention of a substitute, I must have read that elsewhere. I must have made the association with you because of your reply towards the end of the thread.

Use a short length of high-test nylon fishing line. I don't remember the exact size.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Maybe I'll go to Gander Mountain and snag a couple inches of some really freaky looking mono the right size and 25 years from now someone will see it and post pics of the mystery Parker experimental collector rod material.

:roflmho:

Bruce in Ocala, FL-sometimes I just crack myself up

OcalaFlGuy, how timely to read your post. I disassembled my 1948 Parker 51 Aerometric and saw that black rod and couldn't figure out what it was. Once disassembled, I dropped the collector into my K&E ultrasonic cleaner. A few minutes later, the rod disappeared. I looked all around, thinking that I had dropped the black rod on the floor or table. After I couldn't find the rod, I concluded that it had dissolved apart. After spending some time on the internet, I learned what that black rod was. I eventually took out my xacto knife and carved a substitute rod from a plastic screw anchor I had. My replacement part's not very pretty, but it worked well enough to keep the collar from compressing and the channel clear.

I imagine you could use anything if the purpose is to hold the slit open. Use something from an appropriate sized paper clip. One of the colored ones. In purple. Then, in 25 years when some collector opens your pen . . .

Some of the "51"s I have taken apart do not have that little rod. I suppose I should rectify that situation.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Rut replacing your nylon spacer, which isn't strong enough to stand up against being squeezed, with a hard rubber spacer from another collector might improve the fit. You can break a hard rubber spacer in half, especially if it's longer than usual, and use the halves in two collectors.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I imagine you could use anything if the purpose is to hold the slit open. Use something from an appropriate sized paper clip. One of the colored ones. In purple. Then, in 25 years when some collector opens your pen . . .

…they will find the bloody insides all rusted up from the mild steel that paper clips are made of.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I recently installed a Parker factory broad nib in my DJ P51. I widened a bit the feed channel to support increased flow. Then I looked at collector plug and I couldn't really make sense of it. I thought to take it out and mount the collector without the plug, thinking that there would be more air circulation in the collector :eureka: . Heresy! Please, do not burn me for my sacrilege. The pen has been working just fine for a couple of months.

What is the intended purpose of the plug? Should I expect my P51 biting back at some point?

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

How about stainless steel wire? It should resist the ink for quite some time, considering that the plunger rods in Vac-Fils seem to survive well.

If those tiny sewing needles are made from SS, that might be a handy source for a P51 collector spacer rod.

What is the intended purpose of the plug?

Based on my research and personal observations - The collector has a narrow slit, which runs lengthwise to the rear of the collector. When you insert the collector into the barrel of the pen, the wedge fit will cause the rear of the collector to compress and close the slit. The plug is made of hard rubber, which prevents the slit to be compressed closed and permit the flow of ink.

I am not seeing how a piece of stiff nylon that fits snugly into the channel will compress any more than a piece of hard rubber will but I also trust Richard's experience more than my guessing...

I would have hoped there was some readily available substitute other than the not widely available original piece.

Thank you Richard as always for the 411.

(I'm thinking Richard doesn't want to see any 51's pop up with some never seen before mystery Parker prototype purple and orange swirl nylon spacer rod material. :roflmho: )

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

What is the intended purpose of the plug?

Based on my research and personal observations - The collector has a narrow slit, which runs lengthwise to the rear of the collector. When you insert the collector into the barrel of the pen, the wedge fit will cause the rear of the collector to compress and close the slit. The plug is made of hard rubber, which prevents the slit to be compressed closed and permit the flow of ink.

Thank you Billy. I thought the same, but I didn't notice any compression after inserting the collector in the barrel and the pen is functioning properly. However, it could be related to the fact that I increased the capacity of the feed channel and the two effect compensate. I was actually expecting that the lack of plug would allow more air into the barrel, increasing the flow of ink to the collector.

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

To me, the best question is why is it there is the first dang place?!

They later melted part of that channel to not require Any insert. Why not just make the connector part of the collect the right size to begin with and be done with it?

You aren't *forcing* that channel open with the piece of hard rubber (which might change the diameter of the connector part of the collector if you were). That channel isn't any ink or air passage that I know of.

I am not understanding At All what the real reason for it even being that is.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-I believe the experts who say it is, I just don't understand. I prefer to understand. :(

Bruce, experiment is the best way to convince yourself if something works or does not.

I mounted my collector without the plug, and my P51 has been working fine for a couple of months. Of course, it could still fail long term. But I also do not understand why it is needed. However, the engineer that designed it must have been pretty smart and therefore there must be a good reason why it should be there.