30 Green Inks Reviewed: Part 2 - Writing Samples And Performance

geoduc

This is the second part of my comparison of 30 green inks. The focus of this part is on performance data and writing samples See Part 1 (Green inks part 1) for swabs and general information. As a refresher, the figure below shows all of the inks included in the comparison, in the order in which they appear:

Figure 7: Ink samples on Rhodia paper from a Lamy 1.1mm italic nib.

fpn_1330119488__30_inks_rhodia.jpg

Pens used for writing samples:

- Sailor 1911 with music nib reground by Mike Masuyama to a 1.3mm stub (loaned by dcpritch)

- Lamy Al-Star with a 1.1mm italic nib

- Platinum higo-zo-gan (3776 variant) with a medium nib. This nib is finer than most of my western fines.

- Sheaffer Balance with a full flex nib

Blue headings on the sample pages were written with a Nakaya Neo Standard with 0.7mm Mottishaw stub using Visconti Blue ink

Paper used:

- Rhodia 80 gsm paper from a No. 18 pad

- HP 32 lb Premium Choice Laser paper

- Staples 20 lb cheapo copy paper

Samples were scanned on an Epson V600 at 200 dpi using factory default settings. Linked high resolution scans were done at 300 dpi. No color adjustments were performed.

The poem used in the high resolution samples is "Alone Looking at the Mountain", a translation of an ancient Chinese poem written by Li Po (also known as Li Bai).In the interest of consistency and keeping the process moving, I focused on writing at normal speeds rather than on neatness. Honestly, I can write better with a flex nib than these samples might indicate. In retrospect, using a flex nib on cheap copy paper was pretty silly, but it did provide a pretty good test of an ink's feathering properties.

Figure 8: Inks 1-5

fpn_1330120067__rhodia_comp_1_s.jpg

01-Miruai on Rhodia

01-Murai on HP32

01-Miruai on copy paper

02-Graphite on Rhodia

02-Graphite on HP32

02-Graphite on copy paper

03-Sequoia on Rhodia

03-Sequoia on HP32

03-Sequoia on copy paper

04-Green/Black on Rhodia

04-Green/Black on HP32

04-Green/Black on copy paper

05-Evergreen on Rhodia

05-Evergreen on HP32

05-Evergreen on copy paper

Figure 9: Inks 6-10

fpn_1330121105__rhodia_comp_2_s.jpg

06-Night Black on Rhodia

06-Night Black on HP32

06-Night Black on copy paper

07-Zhivago on Rhodia

07-Zhivago on HP32

07-Zhivago on copy paper

08-MB Racing Green on Rhodia

08-MB Racing Green on HP32

08-MB Racing Green on copy paper

09-Black-Green on Rhodia

09-Black-Green on HP32

09-Black-Green on copy paper

10-Pine Green on Rhodia

10-Pine Green on HP32

10-Pine Green on copy paper

Figure 10: Inks 11-15

fpn_1330121928__rhodia_comp_3_s.jpg

11-Tokiwa Matsu on Rhodia

11-Tokiwa Matsu on HP32

11-Tokiwa Matsu on HP32

12-Epinard on Rhodia

12-Epinard on HP32

12-Epinard on copy paper

13-Avacado on Rhodia

13-Avacado on HP32

13-Avacado on copy paper

14-Suzuran Green on Rhodia

14-Suzuran Green on HP32

14-Suzuran Green on HP32

15-Green Tea on Rhodia

15-Green Tea on HP32

15-Green Tea on copy paper

Figure 11: Inks 16-20

fpn_1330122670__rhodia_comp_4_s.jpg

16-Vert Empire on Rhodia

16-Vert Empire on HP32

16-Vert Empire on copy paper

17-Umber on Rhodia

17-Umber on HP32

17-Umber on copy paper

18-Rikyu Cha on Rhodia

18-Rikyu Cha on HP32

18-Rikyu Cha on copy paper

19-Diamine Racing Green on Rhodia

19-Diamine Racing Green on HP32

19-Diamine Racing Green on copy paper

20-El Lawrence on Rhodia

20-El Lawrence on HP32

20-El Lawrence on copy paper

Figure 12: Inks 21-25

fpn_1330123399__rhodia_comp_5_s.jpg

21-Brooklyn Brawn on Rhodia

21-Brooklyn Brawn on HP32

21-Brooklyn Brawn on copy paper

22-Burma Road Brown on Rhodia

22-Burma Road Brown on HP32

22-Burma Road Brown on copy paper

23-Army Green on Rhodia

23-Army Green on HP32

23-Army Green on copy paper

24-Verde Muschiato on Rhodia

24-Verde Muschiato on HP32

24-Verde Muschiato on copy paper

25-Alt Goldgrun on Rhodia

25-Alt Goldgrun on HP32

25-Alt Goldgrun on copy paper

Figure 13: Inks 26-30

fpn_1330124138__rhodia_comp_6_s.jpg

26-Sahara Grey on Rhodia

26-Sahara Grey on HP32

26-Sahara Grey on copy paper

27-Olivgrun on Rhodia

27-Olivgrun on HP32

27-Olivgrun on copy paper

28-Vert Olive on Rhodia

28-Vert Olive on HP32

28-Vert Olive on copy paper

29-Waka Uguisu on Rhodia

29-Waka Uguisu on HP32

29-Waka Uguisu on copy paper

30-Chiku Rin on Rhodia

30-Chiku Rin on HP32

30-Chiku Rin on copy paper

Performance summary table:

The following table is attached in pdf format just in case anyone wants to download and save it for future reference. Since I intended this as a standalone document, the inks are presented in alphabetical order by manufacturer with the left column showing the order in which they are presented in this comparison. Sorry if that causes any confusion.

Some caveats:The ratings given to these inks are based on their performance relative to each other – testing an ink per day using the same pens and the same papers gave me a good opportunity to directly compare their performance. I was using many of these inks for the first time so I don't claim any particular expertise on their performance profiles. If any ink piques your interest, then I encourage you to obtain a sample and try before investing in a whole bottle. As always,YMMV. I provided some cryptic notes on the ink performance on page 2 of the table, and footnotes on page 3 briefly explain the testing methods.

Ink chart.pdf

Figure 14: Dry time testing (On Rhodia paper. The copy paper dry time pages are pretty boring to look at so I didn't scan them)

Dry times, inks 1-15

Dry times, inks 16-30

Figure 15: Water immersion test (on Rhodia paper)

fpn_1330124605__watertest.jpg

Edited by geoduc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geoduc

• Bo Bo Olson

• Laura N

• esterbex

Outstanding! Even more so, because some of my favourites that I actually use, are in here. A great pair of reference reviews.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Goodness! What is there to say after being handed all this treasure?

And agreed that Zhivago is perfect on copy paper, on which I do most of my writing. I've also found Rikyu-cha (and one or two others) looking greener on copy paper and more absorbent papers.

Fantastic job!!!!

Your scans look spot on in accuracy with the colors I own. This is a very helpful project you've completed. I know it took you a lot of time to do this (I've done it a couple times). You've done a great service to the community here. :notworthy1:

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Wonderful Work! The scans seem very accurate in relation to the actual colors I see on paper.

Thank you for your hard work,

-Kyle

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

I just started to get over being rocked by part 1, and now to see the work that went into this....I can't imagine the time it took for all this. I'm stunned.

I cannot express with mere words how much this is appreciated for all to reference. Saving this for offline viewing.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Wow...............

:notworthy1:

Awesome................

:thumbup:

The green/browns are my favorite (eh Laura!!)

geoduc...I feel I should pay you something for this as it will most certainly help in my ink buying, not making any mistakes on what colors I think I want. Seriously.....pm me with your Paypal addy.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

I just started to get over being rocked by part 1, and now to see the work that went into this....I can't imagine the time it took for all this. I'm stunned.

I cannot express with mere words how much this is appreciated for all to reference. Saving this for offline viewing.

I can only echo Sam's sentiments. What an incredible contribution. THANK YOU!!!!

Wow...............

:notworthy1:

Awesome................

:thumbup:

geoduc...I feel I should pay you something for this as it will most certainly help in my ink buying, not making any mistakes on what colors I think I want. Seriously.....pm me with your Paypal addy.

Rick

Right there with you. I broke down and ordered the Verde Muschiata. :)

Rick

Right there with you. I broke down and ordered the Verde Muschiata. :)

No payment necessary, but thanks. I love this color group and learned a lot in doing the comparison. I'm glad it is useful to others.

Laura, Verde Muschiato is one of those goldilocks inks with a perfect combination of interesting color and excellent behavior. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

vbg.gif Is there and FPN award for kindness above and beyond the call of duty?clap1.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I was looking at this pinned review that member beezaur did in 2007.

Your green (parts 1 & 2) and dcpritch's sepia comparisons are in a whole other league, and clearly worthy of being pinned. I don't know who is the active mod in this section of the forum now, but I am going to suggest to a couple of the mods that they pin these threads in this section. If others feel the same, I encourage you to also ask the mods to pin them.

For easy reference, the four incredible threads are:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I agree with pinning this topic!

This is way over the top (in a good way!) :thumbup:

I think this may become my standard reference for green colors (if not THE standard) great job! :notworthy1:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

:clap1:

.:clap1: .:clap1: .:clap1:

:clap1: .:clap1:

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.