How Can Someone That Can Afford A $500 Pen Not Have A Half Decent Digital Camera

bbx

It's not the camera that takes the photos - good photos can be taken with some pretty basic camera equipment if the photographer has the skill and knowledge. You don't need an expensive camera to take eBay photos. The skill and knowledge of light are more important than the gear. Just like you don't need an expensive pen to write well, you need a basic pen, knowledge, and plenty of practice. Nice gear doesn't hurt, but it's not the most important part of the equation.

That being said, some sellers on eBay can't even be bothered to make sure that their photos are in focus. It's not even like they're spending money on film - all they have to do is keep trying until they get one shot in focus. Keep shooting until you get it right - it's free - it doesn't seem that hard to me. But, if they can't be bothered, then that is their loss - I won't buy stuff that I cannot see clearly, and I'm sure that I am not alone.

P.S. Regarding pens and camera equipment - who says you can't have both? tongue.gif ;)

http://rudiphoto.net/img/s3/v41/p694733240-4.jpg

That's a well composed photo, your imaginitive prop makes it so. There was a thread sometime ago I recall where a simple object such as a pen can be portrayed almost like a portrait, with the use of a few simple props. The results made a good impression and made the pen more appealing.

Keep up the good work,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• mcnoodle

• ajoe

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's that expression about kicking a hornet's nest :thumbup:

A digital camera is the photographer's biro :lol:

It may be funtional but it has no soul.

Of course, I do agree that if someone wants to sell something and expects others to part with their hard-earned money, they need to make a bit of effort! Put the coffee bean under the grill before the house viewing begins, don't leave the damp dog in the kitchen! :P

Chris

There was a thread sometime ago I recall where a simple object such as a pen can be portrayed almost like a portrait, with the use of a few simple props. The results made a good impression and made the pen more appealing.

Keep up the good work,

Pickwick

Thank you! Of course, I am not selling my new Tortoise/White M600, I'm just showing how beautiful it is. But if I was selling it... wouldn't it be in my interest to do exactly the same? ;)

http://rudiphoto.net/img/s3/v41/p701774435-4.jpg

http://rudiphoto.net/img/s11/v36/p690851417-4.jpg

Edited by mcnoodle

A digital camera is the photographer's biro :lol:

It may be funtional but it has no soul.

LOL. Sort of. Some people enjoy the mystery of waiting to see what they captured on film. I don't miss film. At all! I have had too many years of shooting film, and while I miss some things about the old days, film and the hassle of finding a good professional lab to develop your work is not one of them. There is a certain romance to shooting film, without the distraction of an LCD on the rear of the camera, but I can always fake it by turning the rear LCD off. laugh.gif

Isn't "quantum" the tiniest amount? What is a quantum leap?

As for decent digital cameras and taking better photographs, that's like saying a $500 pen will improve your handwriting.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

As for decent digital cameras and taking better photographs, that's like saying a $500 pen will improve your handwriting.

Succinctly well said! A poor craftsman will always blame it on his/her tools.

Picwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

"discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents"

Heck, I don't know. I just read it on the InterWeb somewhere.

Is there a new rule that we have to know what we're talking about?crybaby.gif

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Wikipedia, regarding "quantum leap", "In popular discourse, the term "quantum leap" is misused referring to a large increase"

So indeed, I misused it, but in a popular way. I think that makes it OK. happyberet.gif

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

I hope not. I would be disqualified quicker than most.

Wish I were kidding.

etherX in To Miasto

Wikipedia, regarding "quantum leap", "In popular discourse, the term "quantum leap" is misused referring to a large increase"

So indeed, I misused it, but in a popular way. I think that makes it OK. happyberet.gif

LEMMING!

Ha ha ha!

etherX in To Miasto

It is, but it is a significant leap, to an entirely different level. Either it makes the leap completely, or not at all.

It's sort of like "pregnant". Either one is, or one isn't. Although we often hear "I kind of got [write name here] pregnant", the truth is that she has taken a quantum leap into pregnancy.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

It is, but it is a significant leap, to an entirely different level. Either it makes the leap completely, or not at all.

It's sort of like "pregnant". Either one is, or one isn't. Although we often hear "I kind of got [write name here] pregnant", the truth is that she has taken a quantum leap into pregnancy.

This is one of the reasons I love FPN. Thanks, Jeffery!

etherX in To Miasto

"discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents"

You know. I can explain this stuff. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Have you ever considered the fact that some people just don't care? If I set a reserve on an item that I'm trying to sell, so long as it's met my photography isn't going to make a difference. If I know I can get what I want from the item without wasting time taking high quality pictures, why bother?

Sure a $500 pen wouldn't necessarily improve one's handwriting. But some cameras-lens combinations really are better tools than others to use to make clear pictures of small objects. It has nothing to do with expense, but rather fitness for a particular purpose. A cheap digital point and shoot will take a good pen picture, because it has macro capability and great depth of field.

A great painter could paint a masterpiece with an acrylic rather than a sable brush, but give her a paint roller instead and there are types of paintings she just couldn't make.

Can't believe some of the pics on ebay.

Surely if you have a $500 pen you have a half decent digital camera? So many of the pics look like they have been taken on a cell phone from 2005. Not sure if this is to cover up fakes or because people are just really busy? Obviously no love for the item being sold which is a shame.

If you want to be the Pen Pic Police, just head over to the FPN Classifieds; pens selling for $500+ and you can't even tell what color they are. Poor photography knows no boundaries, and now that folks can justify it simply by adding "sorry for the lousy iPhone photos", it isn't likely to get any better.

Great thread :roflmho: I have owned some great cameras in the past, many pre digi and some meduim format, was I a good photographer? No.

My pens, dont ask the value, do nothing but sign things and most of that is quite unimportant. Some very rarely get filled.

I have a powerful car but very rarely exceed any speed limit let alone drive like others say it 'should be' (Jeremy Clarkson has a lot to answer for!) my skill runs out and the fear kicks in way before the vehicle is in its stride :embarrassed_smile:

But my pride of ownership and the time taken just playing with (wifes term) cosseting and admiring is a massive part for ME. And at the end of the day thats what I enjoy.

If I took a blurry picture of a pen I had for sale, and yes I do envy others skills, surely it would not deter the true enthusiast from making a bid or getting in touch with me ?

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

You know. I can explain this stuff. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Another reason I love FPN! It's like I'm the most rundown house on the block, but cos I'm surrounded by all these well-maintained houses, my property value goes up. I know that the genius doesn't rub off on me, but, you know... Pen Posse is like real-life Google. Ha ha ha.

etherX in To Miasto

Isn't there a bit of a double standard in the OP? Many people ignore brick-and-mortar stores and buy from e-Bay because of the lower prices. The lower prices come from lower overhead: no store to lease, no staff to pay, no need for extensive inventory, and no large costs associated with preparing and displaying merchandise. But if I expect to get these savings passed along to me as a lower selling price, maybe I shouldn't complain about the results of the efficiencies that lead to the savings. If I want to criticize the quality of the photo in the ad, or the packaging, or the customer service, maybe I should be willing to pay for those things, and go to a dealer who will charge me for them.

ron