How Can Someone That Can Afford A $500 Pen Not Have A Half Decent Digital Camera

bbx

Can't believe some of the pics on ebay.

Surely if you have a $500 pen you have a half decent digital camera? So many of the pics look like they have been taken on a cell phone from 2005. Not sure if this is to cover up fakes or because people are just really busy? Obviously no love for the item being sold which is a shame.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• mcnoodle

• ajoe

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely if you have a $500 pen you have a half decent digital camera?

WHY???? If the person's hobby is pens, WHY do they have to have a decent digital camera????

What is photography is not their thing.... maybe they would rather spend their money on pens than camera equipment

Owning higher end pens does not automatically mean you need to buy a decent digital camera.... or own a camera at all...

I have a few friend who have wanted to sell some of their high end collectibles on eBay and they come to me to photograph them because they are just not into owning a camera

Photography is a skill. People who do not have that skill shouldn't waste money on camera equipment.

Likewise, since I own a Canon 70-200 IS II which cost nearly 4000 dollars, should I buy a pen that

costs 4000 dollars too?? I have a few in mind... Why not? :roflmho:

Edited to add: Even if someone had a 4000 dollar camera and absolutely no skill at taking photos,

the photos of their pen would turn out like (bleep).... Honestly... iPhone cameras these days are already

so good... What's the problem of using that for a simple sale? Of course if the seller is a professional

that is another story - photos go into the area of customer service and quality...

Edited by nicholasyeo

I just bought a $700 pen. I don't have a camera other than what's on my cellphone. Why? I like pens. I couldn't care less about cameras.

I just bought a $700 pen. I don't have a camera other than what's on my cellphone. Why? I like pens. I couldn't care less about cameras.

As an owner and lover of two vintage Leicas, I can only say... :gaah:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Photography is a skill.

That is correct, skill, technique, etc. Things that can be learned and taught. Someone's owning a "half decent digital camera" doesn't automatically translate is superb product photos. Sometimes I get pretty good shots with my iPhone, but that's usually when I bother with lighting, light tent, etc. -- just the sort of things that have the same impact when I lug out my "half decent" Canon DSLR.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

If they spent $500 on a pen, they may not be able to afford a "half decent" digital camera.

Or consider this: I have three film SLR bodies, each with a 50mm lens, either f/1.7 or f/1.4, and I have a 28mm f/3.5, a 135mm f/2.8, and a doubler, to fit them. And I have a 6MP digital P/S, bought used. Unless the picture is intended specifically for online use or digital reproduction, or is just a "record" picture, I prefer to use film, and when somebody comes out with a DSLR that (1) outperforms even the best 100-speed film for resolution, (2) is no bulkier than a manual-focus, manual-wind film SLR, and (3) DOESN'T COST AN ARM AND A LEG, then MAYBE they can pry my film SLRs from my cold, dead hands.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

I have a friend who owns a Kodak Box "Brownie" camera using Black and white film which is still attainable. He takes superb pictures with it. I have a Minolta Autocord twin lens reflex made in 1958 which takes good pictures and I use Black and white film. Even expensive digital cameras have yet to achieve the subtle tonal range that roll film has. When this happens I may well buy one.

Still in a time warp,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

While I have decent photo equipment, I've sold pens on FPN using photos taken with my Android (Motorola Photon). Mind you, I took the effort to properly expose the pictures, held the "camera" still, and I ensured proper framing, focus, and white level. The convenience of capturing through posting straight from my phone was awesome.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Can't believe some of the pics on ebay.

Surely if you have a $500 pen you have a half decent digital camera? So many of the pics look like they have been taken on a cell phone from 2005. Not sure if this is to cover up fakes or because people are just really busy? Obviously no love for the item being sold which is a shame.

I agree that just because someone has a fine pen does not mean they should have a fine camera (or car or house or boat or whatever).

But I am looking at this a bit differently. It's about rating this person as a seller and business poartner, not as a pen lover...on eBay I don';t really care so much if they love pens, just if they are an honest seller which high integrity.

This is someone on ebay. Therefore they are trying to sell an item. In this case an expensive pen. They are in the role of vendor or seller. I expect someone to showcase whatever they are selling in a way that allows me to make an informed decision. If they are a competent seller, they will not only do that, but create a bit of buzz in the words they use and the pictures they display to get me excited about buying their product (marketing).

SInce we cannot touch products on eBay, all we have to go on is the pictures and the words. Good clear photos of the essential parts of the pen and all accessories along with a good clear description of the item tend to make me comfortable with this person as someone I want to do business with. One, blurry photo with a haphazard description on a high priced item make me suspicious. Of course this is not the only thing I use to judge whether I want to deal with a person, but they are the first indicators of a high potential (in my opinion) of other equally slipshod business practices.

Bottom line: single blurry photo makes me really ask myself, "Greg, do you want to take the risk of doing business with this person?"

And this is not just for pens, but ANY item I look to buy on line from any online outlet.

Greg

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

...Surely if you have a $500 pen you have a half decent digital camera?...

Quantum leaping; fun for the whole family. thumbup.gif

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Brownies Rule.

Great for mountains, tourist filled cities..click and go.

Personally I buy postcards. Made by a professional, on a good day, with no tourists in the way.

You can see my whole vacation before you finish half your first cup of coffee. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It's not the camera that takes the photos - good photos can be taken with some pretty basic camera equipment if the photographer has the skill and knowledge. You don't need an expensive camera to take eBay photos. The skill and knowledge of light are more important than the gear. Just like you don't need an expensive pen to write well, you need a basic pen, knowledge, and plenty of practice. Nice gear doesn't hurt, but it's not the most important part of the equation.

That being said, some sellers on eBay can't even be bothered to make sure that their photos are in focus. It's not even like they're spending money on film - all they have to do is keep trying until they get one shot in focus. Keep shooting until you get it right - it's free - it doesn't seem that hard to me. But, if they can't be bothered, then that is their loss - I won't buy stuff that I cannot see clearly, and I'm sure that I am not alone.

P.S. Regarding pens and camera equipment - who says you can't have both? tongue.gif ;)

http://rudiphoto.net/img/s3/v41/p694733240-4.jpg

any $99 compact can take better pictures than I see on some of the eBay post. if they are selling on eBay they need to take decent pictures which doesn't require one to be a photographer.

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

and then there are people who just prefer old cameras and film, I like my old Nikon F and 20mm, 30 years old now and tough as nails.

Edited by Arthur

I have a friend who owns a Kodak Box "Brownie" camera using Black and white film which is still attainable. He takes superb pictures with it. I have a Minolta Autocord twin lens reflex made in 1958 which takes good pictures and I use Black and white film. Even expensive digital cameras have yet to achieve the subtle tonal range that roll film has. When this happens I may well buy one.

Still in a time warp,

Pickwick

Huzzah, Sir. Huzzah.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

About five years ago I bought a new set of what was for me, pretty expensive golf clubs. Didn't improve my game a whit.

There's a different skill set in getting a nice photo of the kids for the Christmas card versus what it takes to get a good close-up of a nib for an eBay listing. I know I've tried to get a decent photo of a pen to answer a question or explain a point and it's darn hard to get one that doesn't look mushy.

Not to take this off the rails, but I noted recently in the stories announcing that Kodak would no longer manufacture cameras it was commonly cited that as the quality of cameras in cellphones has improved, and as one always has their cellphone with them, demand for still cameras has fallen in recent years. One story in particular noted that the market for still digital cameras these days is really in the high-end market, whereas cellphone cameras seem to have taken over the lower to mid lines. As Kodak's "sweet spot" has traditionally been in those low/mid lines, it made sense.

To me it's quite reasonable to think that a person might have a $500 pen and no better than a $150 digital camera.

I think the OP's point is that if they are selling such a high value item, why not display it to show its value? Not that they do not have a camera or the skills etc. I personally like engeika's photos (whether he takes them or gets from elsewhere, I don't know) in ebay. I was almost forced to buy a few pens because of the photos!

OP's point might be that if they sell such a high value item and if they do love it they would definitely show off the product for it to sell well.. (some of the chinese pens in ebay have beautiful photos as well which forces more than a single sale). If they do not display their wares properly, then he is asking if it is to cover off or what? The photo does not have to be taken by the seller him/herself, but by a friend or family member or somebody else..

Good and valid question, I suppose..

Edited by Chettiar

Film cameras rule.

What was the question again?

Oh, yeah, with regard to eBay, I suspect that some sellers don't want good, clear photos. Like mcnoodle I've learned to stay away from those folks. But pens actually are kind of hard to photograph well, since they are small and shiny. I can't do it with an iPhone. And I consider myself a photographer. You do kind of need macro capability. Some knowledge of lighting is helpful. And a tripod would be nice. Many people just don't have those things.

Edited by Laura N