Visconti Traveling Ink Pot Review

Lalique

I am now ready to purchase a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze fountain pen after having read comments on FPN about them that included advise to purchase a Visconti Traveling Ink Pot in order to avoid very messy ink spillage when filling the pen. I found a helpful review of the Visconti Traveling Ink Pot to share with FPN members at this link, http://www.gad.net/B...ink-pot-review/ .

I also found a good, short video review of the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze fountain pen that includes the ink fill process,

Edited by Lalique

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• Lalique

• OC Mike

• beak

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the clip with interest & also read the link about the traveling ink pot. Firstly the Visconti HS appears to be a great pen in many departments and I do know people who own these and they do advise me to try one. Maybe one day but not just yet.

Now then this traveling ink pot. I am sorry but I just do not get it and never have. When I do travel, which is not that often, and I do need to refill my favourite pen with my favourite ink guess what I do? Yes I take a bottle of the required ink with me! The extra weight and space taken by a bottle as opposed to the traveling pot is so slight it never has concerned me. The added procedure of getting ink from bottle to traveling pot is also removed.

I did view the traveling pot at a pen show once and whilst I did admire its construction and appearance the added complication factor just confused me as to why others do clammer to own these.

Ah well we are all different :thumbup:

PS. Lalique, had a few of your car mascots once and they were very attractive. How I wish I had hung onto them seeing what they now bring when they come up for sale.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Aloha, Pen Nut:

Yes, I will purchase my Visconti Homo Sapiens fountain pen without the traveling ink pot and see how that goes. Filling the pen with ink as shown in the video should work well enough without the ink pot.

Do you mean by my car moscots, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Citroen that I posted about in a thread concerning how different FPN members arrange their books in their bookcases? If so, it's wonderful! Which ones did you own?

Edited by Lalique

Hmm...

Going to have to get my hands on that pen one day to try it! Bit concerned about the absorption of the body material - I work with many odd chemicals and so on - don't like the idea of permanent transfer of any of them to the pen; has anyone ever had any 'issues' there?

The Ink-pot:

I bought the cheaper black plastic one. I don't like commenting on things 'til I've had them in use for a good while, but more than a year's use of this travelling ink pot has made me a firm fan; I shall get another one day just to keep X-Feather on hand for emergencies.

There was a learning period (three or four fills) but after that life with it has been a dream; so convenient a thing to keep in the briefcase or pocket, and I have one with me every day when I'm working. Just had the one spill early on; idiotically turned the thing upside down without the cap in place - yes, I know, what a twit! I find it one of the quickest and cleanest ways to fill a pen (well, a piston-filer anyway - no experience of using it with other types) and can find nothing to fault it. The only problem, once, was that the top was hard to remove; tracked that down to me not wiping the stopper before putting it back - so now that problem is no more.

One great thing is that it fits in a pen case, just as would a pen - no bulky bottle to carry, and, of course, it's much lighter than any ink bottle that I know. Recommended.

fpn_1329734079__p1080102.jpg

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a complimentary (and the word complementary would be appropriate too) traveling ink pot from Bryant with my Hs last year.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Ask nicely and sometimes Bryant will deliver :) I think he was trying to sell a few of the Visconti inkpots ...

I probably have a spare if someone wants to contact me (via PM) to negotiate for one! Good luck with choosing a Visconti HS ... I do suggest buying from someone who will tune or have a good returns policy just in case. But overall, it's a lovely pen and I'm tempted ot ink mine up again soon.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Aloha:

I had better post this FPN review of the Visconti Homo Sapiens fountain pen so as not to mislead, http://www.fountainp...47#entry2256047 . I still like the pen and will buy one, but from a reliable dealer, not on the internet.

I see that Richard Binder does not sell new Visconti pens. Should I purchase my pen from Bryant? If so, how do I contact him?

Edited by Lalique

You can usually contact him on his contact form via his website www.pentime.net

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

You can usually contact him on his contact form via his website www.pentime.net

And he is very responsive via email. I'm pretty sure he is fully stocked. I've bought two from him (the latest being the steel age version), and he ships very fast using priority mail.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Two things about the ink thingie aka Visconti Traveling Ink Pot (VTIP)

First, ALWAYS test your skills over a sink using only water in the ink thingie until you are absolutely sure you have the skills. Failure to do so can be catastrophic.

Second, In my experience, my Visconti double reservoir pens ALWAYS are filled closer to full with the VTIP than with filling from a bottle.

Admittedly, I rarely use mine, but if I only used one or two Visconti pens in my rotation I would use it daily.

My experience, as always YMMV.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

What you describe reminds me of a toy rocket that was marketed soon after the Soviet Union launched Sputnik. I remember having several plastic rockets that would be partially filled with water and then pumped up with air using a hand pump. It would blast about 100 feet into the air leaving a trail of water behind it. It even had a model with at least two stages on it.

Am I the only old geezer that remembers this? I think they were blue, transparent plastic.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

What you describe reminds me of a toy rocket that was marketed soon after the Soviet Union launched Sputnik. I remember having several plastic rockets that would be partially filled with water and then pumped up with air using a hand pump. It would blast about 100 feet into the air leaving a trail of water behind it. It even had a model with at least two stages on it.

Am I the only old geezer that remembers this? I think they were blue, transparent plastic.

I had two of those! Mine were red and white. thumbup.gif

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I had two of those! Mine were red and white. thumbup.gif

Back on topic...I recently purchased a Traveling Ink Pot to use with my newly purchased HS-Steel. I'm getting the nib tuned by a nibmeister and will give the ink pot a try when I receive the pen.

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Ha! Edmund Scientific still sells them!

As Yogi Berra would say, "It's deja vu all over again!!" roflmho.gif

Regards,

Mike

Ha! Edmund Scientific still sells them!

Ed sells EVERY neat thing. My mom always cringed when the catalog showed up.

+1

I always felt like it was a nerd's ultimate toy store.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

One great thing is that it fits in a pen case, just as would a pen - no bulky bottle to carry, and, of course, it's much lighter than any ink bottle that I know. Recommended.

fpn_1329734079__p1080102.jpg

If I may ask, I was wondering which Pelikan that is snuggled next to the ink pot? (and is that a Pelikan pen slipcase?)

Just trying to gauge the size of the thing and I'm more familiar with Peli sizes than Visconti's.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I wonder if it'll fit in the Conway Stewy 3 pen wallet I just ordered?

Regardless, I really must get one of these contraptions!

Another advantage with using the VTIP:

When using Visconti and/or Pelikan piston-fill pens having large nibs, it is difficult to immerse these deep enough into a nearly empty ink bottle to effectively/efficiently fill the pen & use the remaining amounts of an often favorite color of ink. Using a syringe (the eyedropper can be a bit more messy), draw up the remaining ink and fill the VTIP cleanly; then use the regular VTIP pen filling procedure to fill the pen. We've had no issues with this; We really find, too, that the pen seems to take up more ink using the VTIP. Bryant sold me the VTIP @ the D.C. Show; we tried it and really liked it enough that Bryant kindly sent my other half one with two new pens we ordered from him this Christmas. BTW, We can't say enough good things about Bryant's wonderful service in the entire pen-purchasing and follow-up experience. Both VTIP and Bryant are highly recommended! :clap1:

Edited by Ladynib302

I was given one of the Traveling Ink Pot kits about a decade or so ago and it's in a box around here somewhere, but I will admit that I cannot ever remember using it.

My Website