Fine Art

drgoretex

For interest's sake, I made up a new front section for this monstrosity, in yet another material, and fitted it with its own nib unit and clip (had borrowed them from another of my pens for the first photo shoot.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Available%20for%20Purchase/IMG_6386.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Available%20for%20Purchase/IMG_6383.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Available%20for%20Purchase/IMG_6382.jpg

Now, isn't that just SO much more tasteful? :roflmho:

Cheers,

Ken

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgoretex

• pen2paper

• Lloyd

• Indy_Pen_Dance

Good grief.

As they say: "What has been seen cannot be unseen."

(No matter how much we'd like...)

Besides all the "eye bleach" jokes and whatnot, I applaud your embrace of bold, nay, WILD color, and use of normally cast-off materials. Life is short, have fun.

The only thing more shocking to me in this thread besides the initial sight of the pen was seeing pen2paper - with the Victorian AV, no less - referencing Bill Bruford!

I always step in turn with that "other drummer:... Bruford. I like it!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This is the PERFECT pen for those that love to experiment with colors but feel they need to match the ink to the pen.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I like it!

Neat stuff always seems to float up out of the scrap bins...

Put it in the classifieds, I like the silver clip too btw...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I believe Omas had an anniversary pen with this concept. The pen name was FUSION and yours looks better than theirs!

The pen is in Pen World, December 2010.roflmho.gif

Lee Rappeport

Good grief.

As they say: "What has been seen cannot be unseen."

(No matter how much we'd like...)

Besides all the "eye bleach" jokes and whatnot, I applaud your embrace of bold, nay, WILD color, and use of normally cast-off materials. Life is short, have fun.

The only thing more shocking to me in this thread besides the initial sight of the pen was seeing pen2paper - with the Victorian AV, no less - referencing Bill Bruford!

I always step in turn with that "other drummer:... Bruford. I like it!

"never judge a book, yadda yadda"...

"Discipline" would be one of my selections, if stranded on that desert island...

a zillion years ago, I was a candlemaker, and friends worked hot glass. I appreciate fun, experimental - new ideas spring out of such seeds : )

I've occasionally thought about doing this myself with my offcuts, but I'm very reluctant to trust so many bonded joints without a stiffening tube in the middle.

Ken, what adhesive did you use? I wouldn't trust CA in the long term & Epoxy would be marginal on bending strength should someone inadvertantly lean on the middle of the pen.

That said, it looks much nicer with the silver furniture & blue section.

Regards,

Richard.

I've occasionally thought about doing this myself with my offcuts, but I'm very reluctant to trust so many bonded joints without a stiffening tube in the middle.

Ken, what adhesive did you use? I wouldn't trust CA in the long term & Epoxy would be marginal on bending strength should someone inadvertantly lean on the middle of the pen.

That said, it looks much nicer with the silver furniture & blue section.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks, Richard. Actually, I used medium visc. CA - I have put together a number of laminated or trimmed pens with CA, and have had no problems with them. I wouldn't go dropping from high up, but then, I wouldn't want to do that with any of my pens. How do you mean, the long term? I agree about the epoxy. Wouldn't turn very well anyway.

Cheers,

Ken

I guess the CA will mean that this pen can't be used as an eyedropper.

Oscar Wilde

I've been convinced by a number of model aircraft that CA degrades over a couple of years. 2-3 years after construction CA glued model aircraft have a nasty habit of self dismantling in the air, which does no good for their flying ability (seen it with one of mine and 4 made by other people).

I suspect that a pen has an easier life, but I wouldn't stake my life on a pen remaining intact after 10 years with CA.

Regards,

Richard.

That's very interesting, Richard. I have never heard of this kind of problem with CA before. My impression had been that it is CA that is used by the big name pen manufacturers, as it forms essentially a layer of acrylic, similar to the material it is bonding.

In a plane, I wouldn't trust it either, but I assume that in a plane, you need a bond that can take a certain degree of stressing without cracking, and CA most definitely does not flex.

I think CA is still the best option for laminating and glueing up pen, for its 'turnability'. But, food for thought.

Ken

Since CA is hydrophillic, I would think that the moisture of the user's hand would cause the CA to break down over time.

Oscar Wilde

Since CA is hydrophillic, I would think that the moisture of the user's hand would cause the CA to break down over time.

Hmm...according to Wiki, the source of all utterly reliable information :rolleyes: , CA glue is well suited to be used underwater and is frequently used to bond things in fishtanks. Sounds like it must do OK.

Still, I guess the reality is I will know more in, say - ten of fifteen years. I use some of my own CA - lam'd pens in my daily rotation and for long hours of writing at work.

Unfortunately, since I know of no other bonding agent that will do well on the lathe and polish to a nice gloss, I can't see myself using anything else. Time will tell...

Cheers,

Ken

EDIT - Just read through a few more references on CA bonding, and while exposure to moisture per se doesn't seem to be an issue, exposure to extreme heat or cold can cause trouble. Also noted is that while the CA bond is well suited even for permanent outdoor fixtures, longterm exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions can shorten the CA bond's life somewhat. Effect of finger oil and sweat? Who knows. Don't keep your pen outside.

Ken

Edited by drgoretex

rather than glue, could the body pieces be threaded?

IOW's lego oops that name is taken, > pieceable pen? : )

nibs can be inter-changeable, why not pen body color combo's?

good way to make use of interesting remainders.

Might even allow one to add/remove extra length for larger/smaller hands.. cap/nib/section would remain the same.

I rather like this idea : )

If material shrinkage is an issue, might have to be the same material..

Edited by pen2paper

rather than glue, could the body pieces be threaded?IOW's lego oops that name is taken, > pieceable pen? : )nibs can be inter-changeable, why not pen body color combo's?good way to make use of interesting remainders. Might even allow one to add/remove extra length for larger/smaller hands.. cap/nib/section would remain the same.I rather like this idea : )If material shrinkage is an issue, might have to be the same material..

Now that's a cool idea!

nice nice nice, when I see this kind of pen I think in that: a premium brand put the name in the clip and charges a lot in this idea and you will have to pay $400 for one of this nice piece!

keep doing art!