I Just Ordered A Hakase...

mongrelnomad

So I just ordered a Hakase (buffalo horn, nipple, teardrop clip, F-nib). I have to wait 10 months and it will cost... rather a lot.

Tell me I'm not mad, because the buyer's remorse is kicking in big time!

Congrats on your purchase. Regarding 10-month wait, at least you can keep the great expecation of this pen alive for the next 10 months.:)

http://fp-hakase.com/products/buffalo/81150.html

http://fp-hakase.com/products/IMG_6295_R.JPG

The MSRP shows JPY 157,500.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• rhk

• ethernautrix

• daoud62

Last night I was thinking about the Hakase order (something I do too much), and began having second thoughts about my choice of nib. I initially ordered an F, but my experiences with Pilots Fs (including the one in my Custom 823 - essentially the same nib as the Hakase will have) have made me a bit uneasy. I find them a bit dry and a bit lacking in personality compared to my Sailor Fs.

So, I decided to send a message to Hakase about the possibility of a stub or a CI. This is what came back...

"The bar such as the pen point of the CI is bold a horizontal line is thin and can do a thing on roundness smoothly slightly.

Please inform a bar of that case and hope of the thickness of the horizontal line

But I write it so as to attach a bar and the gap of the horizontal line, and the taste worsens"

I think I understand the first two lines, but anyone care to decode that last line?!?! :hmm1: :blink:

Poetry, pure poetry!

I think that he is warning you that if he makes you a cursive italic, he needs to know the thickness of the vertical stroke you want and, if he rounds the edges, you may loose the hairline quality of the horizontal. Just my best guess. I really love the last line.

Last night I was thinking about the Hakase order (something I do too much), and began having second thoughts about my choice of nib. I initially ordered an F, but my experiences with Pilots Fs (including the one in my Custom 823 - essentially the same nib as the Hakase will have) have made me a bit uneasy. I find them a bit dry and a bit lacking in personality compared to my Sailor Fs.

So, I decided to send a message to Hakase about the possibility of a stub or a CI. This is what came back...

"The bar such as the pen point of the CI is bold a horizontal line is thin and can do a thing on roundness smoothly slightly.

Please inform a bar of that case and hope of the thickness of the horizontal line

But I write it so as to attach a bar and the gap of the horizontal line, and the taste worsens"

I think I understand the first two lines, but anyone care to decode that last line?!?! :hmm1: :blink:

Poetry, pure poetry!

I think that he is warning you that if he makes you a cursive italic, he needs to know the thickness of the vertical stroke you want and, if he rounds the edges, you may loose the hairline quality of the horizontal. Just my best guess. I really love the last line.

I am truly impressed by your translating abilities. I have had some interesting communications with Hakase as well. Here is one:

I attach the reserve of the medical record.

In use, I take a chief, and the length of the body which omitted a pen point is long barrel specifications of around 110 millimeters.

When I received it, it becomes around 152 millimeters.

The length of the cap simple substance is around 70 millimeters.

I am longer and am modifiable more briefly.

I had asked how long the pen was, and I basically understood from this that it is 152 mm, with a 110 mm barrel, and he can make it longer if I want.

Here is another:

I allowed me to have weak pressure of the pen even if I watched handwriting.

Real handwriting serves as a reference than which check.

Please do not do it in mind.

With the elasticity write it, and do it in taste.

Please look forward to.

I had told him that I put I used medium to firm pressure, but it recently has been confirmed to me by a FP expert that I use very light pressure when I write and, on this basis, I asked Hakase to change the nib to reflect this fact which I myself had not known. From what I understand, the reply means he used the handwriting sample I sent him to determine that my pressure is very light and had made the appropriate adjustment before I told him about it.

PS: I wish to be absolutely clear that I post these examples because they gave me some moments of pause in my otherwise stress-packed day as a lawyer in the Middle East. In addition, I remain wholly impressed by someone whose first language is not English being courageous enough to conduct business in that language.

I can't wait to get my Hakase...my 50th birthday present to myself!!!!!! :bunny01: :happyberet:

Edited by daoud62

Poetry, pure poetry!

I am truly impressed by your translating abilities. I have had some interesting communications with Hakase as well. Here is one:

I attach the reserve of the medical record.

In use, I take a chief, and the length of the body which omitted a pen point is long barrel specifications of around 110 millimeters.

When I received it, it becomes around 152 millimeters.

The length of the cap simple substance is around 70 millimeters.

I am longer and am modifiable more briefly.

I had asked how long the pen was, and I basically understood from this that it is 152 mm, with a 110 mm barrel, and he can make it longer if I want.

Here is another:

I allowed me to have weak pressure of the pen even if I watched handwriting.

Real handwriting serves as a reference than which check.

Please do not do it in mind.

With the elasticity write it, and do it in taste.

Please look forward to.

I had told him that I put I used medium to firm pressure, but it recently has been confirmed to me a FP expert that I use very light pressure when I write and, on this basis, I told him to change the nib to reflect this fact which I myself had not known. From what I understand, the reply means he used the handwriting sample I sent him to determine that my pressure is very light and had made the appropriate adjustment before I told him about it.

PS: I wish to be absolutely clear that I post these examples because they gave me some moments of pause in my otherwise stress-packed day as a lawyer in the Middle East. In addition, I remain wholly impressed by someone whose first language is not English being courageous enough to conduct business in that language.

I can't wait to get my Hakase...my 50th birthday present to myself!!!!!! :bunny01: :happyberet:

I too am impressed with their willingness to dive in. I have been to Japan many times and have always been astonished the patience the Japanese entertain in order to overcome the (often huge) language barrier. There just doesn't seem to be a willingness to accept it isn't going to happen.

That said, I'm seeing the definite fingerprints of google translate in this confusion... :bonk:

Can I ask: what nib did you order? I'd like to order a CI or a stub based on a medium nib (the alternative would be a bread-and-butter M/F nib, but doesn't seem to be exciting enough to go with the pen). I'm only worried that the obvious gulf in communication could result in an unpleasant surprise...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Can I ask: what nib did you order? I'd like to order a CI or a stub based on a medium nib (the alternative would be a bread-and-butter M/F nib, but doesn't seem to be exciting enough to go with the pen). I'm only worried that the obvious gulf in communication could result in an unpleasant surprise...

Hi there,

I ordered an M/F nib. I have never had a cursive italic or stub, but recently bought the Nakaya Blue Dragon with a stub Broad from Classic Fountain Pens (no affiliation) which I asked John Mottishaw to grind down a bit. It is waiting for me in NY when I return! I'm a bit nervous about it because I have never used a stub nib, and I only use my pens to write with (not to do calligraphy). Are they easy to get used to?

Hi there,

I ordered an M/F nib. I have never had a cursive italic or stub, but recently bought the Nakaya Blue Dragon with a stub Broad from Classic Fountain Pens (no affiliation) which I asked John Mottishaw to grind down a bit. It is waiting for me in NY when I return! I'm a bit nervous about it because I have never used a stub nib, and I only use my pens to write with (not to do calligraphy). Are they easy to get used to?

Yes. They're wonderful (especially if they come from John) - you'll find your handwriting suddenly has extra added pizzazz, and the slight sharpness really increases the enjoyment.

The next step is a cursive italic, then a full italic. Then you'll only be able to use ultra-extra-fine non-stub nibs again...

Welcome to the slippery slope half way down the slippery slope! :thumbup:

1- Send him a writing sample if you can, he will make the nib accordingly.

2- Hakase is a pen shop selling many brands, so if you have a similar stub in mind from any brand, I am sure he can match it.

I deal with people using google translate on a daily basis, always a pleasure.

Good luck!

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

• 2 months later...

Well, just to keep everybody updated, I ended up requesting a 0.6mm stub nib from Mr. Yamamoto.

Last night I received this:

Time to produce a fountain pen approached.

In STUB smoothly. I sat up straight.

Not entirely sure what it means, but I think, maybe, just maybe, my pen could be not toooooo far away!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to keep everybody updated, I ended up requesting a 0.6mm stub nib from Mr. Yamamoto.

Last night I received this:

Time to produce a fountain pen approached.

In STUB smoothly. I sat up straight.

I think that means you should sit up straight too, Sir (chuckle)... 完璧ですね.

So I just ordered a Hakase (buffalo horn, nipple, teardrop clip, F-nib). I have to wait 10 months and it will cost... rather a lot.

Congratulation, you have just order yourself one of the most enjoyable pen. I have one myself in wood and it is one of the smoothest nib I have used. Pen made to be used not keep.

Compared to Nakaya, it is not as finely made but it is an art- a sculpture.

The wait can build up your excitement, but the final look of the pen is worth the wait. Enjoy it.

Congratulation, you have just order yourself one of the most enjoyable pen. I have one myself in wood and it is one of the smoothest nib I have used. Pen made to be used not keep.

Compared to Nakaya, it is not as finely made but it is an art- a sculpture.

The wait can build up your excitement, but the final look of the pen is worth the wait. Enjoy it.

Thanks - yeah, the excitement's already built... now it's just a caes of managing the symptoms until it arrives :)

• 2 months later...

*Deep breath*

I got the invoice... :mellow:

*Deep breath*

I paid the invoice... :unsure:

*Under said breath*

Not long now... :embarrassed_smile:

*Yells* What have I done?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?! :yikes:

• 3 weeks later...

*Deep breath*

I got the invoice... :mellow:

*Deep breath*

I paid the invoice... :unsure:

*Under said breath*

Not long now... :embarrassed_smile:

*Yells* What have I done?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?! :yikes:

Ahh, but just think of how good you will feel when your Hakase arrives...

(poorer, yes, but still good)

does Hakase make their own nibs?

I don't think so. Based on what I've read elsewhere, it looks like Pilot makes the nibs for Hakase.

Currently they are using Pilot nibs and feeds. In the past, they used Sailor nibs and feeds.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

From what I understand, they use Pilot size 15 nibs and feeds (same as in the Custom 823) but with different imprints.

I would tell you about mine, but I'm in London and my Hakase's in Tel-Aviv, unopened in its box! :gaah:

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I'm home, and the pen is in my hand.

Was it worth the wait? Was it worth the expense? Is it all I'd hoped?

First off: this is not at all the pen I expected. Yes, it looks like the one from the catalogue, but the sense of it is very very different to what I was preparing for. The horn is polished smooth (I expected it to feel rough), and the pen itself is both larger and heavier than the Japanese norm. This is not the dainty, light pen personified by Sailor, Pilot or Platinum; rather is rough and ready and a bit of a bruiser. And, yes... absolutely beguiling.

Once the initial shock wore off, I fell absolutely in love. This is not fine craftsmenship of the delicate nature of Nakaya. Rather, this is that other Japanese work: beautiful in its simple functional roughness without fragility. If Nakaya is a Korean moon jar, the Hakase is shigaraki ware; less perfect, but purposely so. It has texture and the feel of its maker's hand, the hand-beaten gold irregular and with patina. This is a pen with a soul it wears on its sleeve.

Which would be nothing if it didn't have fitted to it the single most incredible nib I own. I asked for a 0.6mm stub nib and this is tuned to perfection, over and above all the pens I own by such luminaries as John Mottishaw, Richard Binder and Oxonian. It is an absolute miracle and I can't put it down.

Are there any issues? Well the nipple roll-stopper doesn't line up perfectly with the clip when the cap is screwed on tightly - it takes a few extra degrees to get it to sit tight, but that's it. This is one incredible pen which I will not feel bad about using and abusing as I feel it is very much in keeping with its character. It is already my favourite pen, and that's only after a few days.

Yes, this is love. So I guess I'm not crazy :thumbup:

(Oh, and the squid sepia ink is stunning!!!!)

Edited by mongrelnomad