#1 hverm

hverm

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:32

What are the differences between Waterman Kultur and Waterman Phileas?
For example; is writing with a Phileas smoother? etc.
The real differences...

Edited by hverm, 28 January 2012 - 10:33.

#2 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:52

I doubt there is very much in mechanical terms (spring etc) as both models have gold plated, steel, nibs.

Plus you can't really compare like for like because no 2 nibs, of the same size, are identical. Which can be said for most models.

Kultur is bottom pen, others Phil's.

Posted Image

Edited by Force, 28 January 2012 - 11:57.

#3 yoplaboum

yoplaboum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:26

I have a Phileas XF, and a Kultur F.
I find :
- the kultur dryer than the Phileas
- the XF Phileas thicker than the F Kultur (!!)
- the Phileas smoother than the Kultur.

This is a strong point of the Phileas : it's smoooooth !!
Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 149, 1990 Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari italic, a lot of Pilot 78G and Pluminix...
Dip pens with Waterman Havana and Herbin inks
PR Purple Mojo and DC Electric Blue, Waterman Havana, Noodler's Apache Sunset, and Herbin inks...

#4 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 20:36

Without owning a Waterman Kultur, (I'm assuming here) are the nibs interchangeable with the Phileas? The Waterman Kultur Demonstrator looks interesting enough for a $24 FP, but from the online sites I see the nibs are silver in color and not colored in gold which is what I prefer.

Reason for Edit: I noticed I can't spell. . .

Edited by 1point1mm, 29 January 2012 - 20:53.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#5 newtimer

newtimer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:37

Phileas has a brass barrel insert so it weighs more.

#6 DarylF

DarylF

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:32

Well, being new here, I've just learned something. For one who knows so little, that's no big thing believe me!

One of my favourite pens is the Phileas. I bought it not long after they became available in Australia. I don't think I ever saw the Kultur on sale here. I like the weight, finish and smoothness of the Phileas FP. I have a matching ballpoint as well, which I haven't used for more than a few words. Apart from not liking bp's anyway - I can't write legibly with them - the Phileas bp is just really uncomfortable in my hand. Still, it's part of a set.

#7 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 20:47

A huge price difference...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc1a49806

#8 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:07

I have both pens, and the Phileas(M nib) does feel more substantial as already posted. But as to smoothness, I'm biased in favour of my Kulturs because I bought them already ground into cursive italics by Pendleton Brown....They are way sweeter than the Phileas. But the Phileas is still a good pen, I just like the CI grind....Posted Image
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#9 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:03

I have. . .the. . .cursive italics by Pendleton Brown. . .I just like the CI grind. . . .

Would it be possible to see a writing sample of it? I'm a tad bit "partial" to CI nibs.
See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#10 mmahany

mmahany

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:11

While my collection is nothing special, my Phileas is my favorite writing pen out of my entire collection. That includes 11 mont blancs, 4-5 sheaffers, 4-5 parkers, and about 20 others.

#11 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:20

I have. . .the. . .cursive italics by Pendleton Brown. . .I just like the CI grind. . . .

Would it be possible to see a writing sample of it? I'm a tad bit "partial" to CI nibs.

Since they have purged the previous pics of my pen since the new format took over, here is a link to one of Pendleton's (pb2) posts. Pendleton Point

It shows a VP, but my Kulturs put down exactly the same line....and are buttery! I have 4 pens with this grind.

I've ordered a second VP nib unit in broad for him to "butterize". I just love the feel and the line variation.Posted Image

ETA: 8 Bexleys are already enroute....Posted Image

Edited by esterbex, 08 February 2012 - 03:22.

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#12 sera0516

sera0516

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:57

For those who might consider buying a Kultur: I have mostly seen the demonstrators. But virtually identical to the Kultur are three Waterman Harley Davidson pens, usually for under $20. (same as Kultur, as far as I know, except for the external color).

I have bought all of these, for myself or as gifts, and find them just as wonderful as my Phileases, except that of course the nib on the Harley is not as fancy-looking (no gold plated trim) and the barrel, without the weight that the Phileas has, feels very light-weight. But I really love these Harley pens. One is called the Free Wheel Flags:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item56475f29d2

One is called Racing or Checkered Flag, or something like that:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item4843d09ce7

And one is called Flames. I have this one and use it a lot.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item5641ec018a

YMMV, but I have bought from both of these sellers (pens n more and also from krm84) with no problem.

#13 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:13

For those who might consider buying a Kultur: I have mostly seen the demonstrators. But virtually identical to the Kultur are three Waterman Harley Davidson pens, usually for under $20. (same as Kultur, as far as I know, except for the external color).

The Lara Croft, Tomb Raider can be added to the list.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c62f9363a

Edited by Force, 11 February 2012 - 09:14.

#14 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:18

Be aware Waterman also produced another series of Harley Davidson pens.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#15 SardineTin

SardineTin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:30

I doubt there is very much in mechanical terms (spring etc) as both models have gold plated, steel, nibs.

Plus you can't really compare like for like because no 2 nibs, of the same size, are identical. Which can be said for most models.

Kultur is bottom pen, others Phil's.

Posted Image

I had a pen just like the burquoise bottom one - I thought it was a Phileas. It felt just like my other Phileas pens and also had the gold two-tone nib. I really liked it and it has unfortunately been lost (I still hope it will "turn up" one day in the bottom of an inside jacket pocket or something...)

I find this particular colour/model incredibly difficult to find on the Intenet, so I have been unable to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#16 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:15

I had a pen just like the burquoise bottom one - I thought it was a Phileas. It felt just like my other Phileas pens and also had the gold two-tone nib. I really liked it and it has unfortunately been lost (I still hope it will "turn up" one day in the bottom of an inside jacket pocket or something...)

I find this particular colour/model incredibly difficult to find on the Intenet, so I have been unable to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The later production Phileas was available in that Turquoise Green also Midnight BLue, Ruby Red, Black, Blue/Green/Red Marbles.

I suspect, but only guess, it was a Phileas you had...if you can remember if it had the cigar band and double ring cap.

Posted Image

#17 SardineTin

SardineTin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:14

Yes it had all that. Having three four other "definite" Phileas pens (black/blue marble/red marble/green marble) this was identical in design, gold trim, weight, nib design. That was why I queried the post that meant I wondered that my one might have been a Kultur.

I do like these plain colour Phileas pens and would love to try and obtain them - but they just don't seem to be about.

Cheers

#18 kauloltran

kauloltran

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:27

Oh Wow...can' imagine how desperate people would get for a Phileas. I would be happy to sell my blue kulture for only $5

#19 vrgelinas

vrgelinas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 20:13

Oh Wow...can' imagine how desperate people would get for a Phileas. I would be happy to sell my blue kulture for only $5

If it's up for grabs, I'll have you paypalled in a heartbeat! :roflmho: