• Please log in to reply
2384 replies to this topic

#2371 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Where there's a Hill, There's a Brae.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 15:10

No, I didn't, that's it as it came.

Ian

Scotland has the most beautiful, colourful, picturesque, history laden landscape in the world.....It's such a shame that you can only see it through a rain soaked car window.

My top tip :- Don't stand up in a canoe.

#2372 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 15:36

Wee. That is nice.

I don't like fine nibs though - that's the main reason why I don't get more Chinese pens.

And that I'm broke and a skinflint, but ignoring those reasons...

The pearlescent red is a great effect. Is it a painted barrel or pearlescent resin? (Presume the former)

Regards,

Richard

#2373 SmoutKa

SmoutKa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 15:51

Never heard of Huahong - so double glad you show us one!

Made me look at ebay, where I find this one. Richard, red marbled celluloid is what they call it on this pen, so probably they do more then just paint. Looks promising!

Edited by SmoutKa, 23 April 2015 - 15:51.

#2374 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 17:47

Richard
Its defo not paint. It has a depth to it if you know what I mean, probably laquered resin or something.
I didn't buy it as a huahong, it was listed as a senior ss21, and after buying it I contacted the shop to ask who made it (which was then obvious when it arrived).
Its stated as a medium but is finer than I normally like, but it's certainly not needle fine, as you can see in the writing sample.
It feels like a very substantial, well made pen, and writes very well, as well as looking great.
Im using my phone just now, but I'll get on my lappy later and get the details of the shop.
It was nowhere near $27 though, more like 7.
Ill also take it out with me (going out with the dog) and see if I can get a better pic on my phone in bright sunlight.

Ian

Scotland has the most beautiful, colourful, picturesque, history laden landscape in the world.....It's such a shame that you can only see it through a rain soaked car window.

#2375 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 20:04

Ok, the pictures are pretty poor, but I was trying to show the difference when the light hits it.

In normal light it just looks like a dark red/burgundy pen.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

and heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51cfebede8

I made a mistake. I paid $3.34 (£2.22) for mine.. :lol:

Ian

#2376 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 20:06

That's a nice finish!
Noodler's Ahab | Jinhao 159 | Lamy Safari | Muji | Pilot 78g | Waterman Phileas

#2377 SmoutKa

SmoutKa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 20:19

Found a seller / shop on ebay with a nice collection of similar pens. 

xiongfu1990

The price! Unbelievable.

#2378 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 20:30

Thats the one.
I've bought a few pens from him.
I bought one called a fuguilong which looks nice, but in the flesh it's nowhere near as good quality as the huahong.
Some of the other pens look really nice, and the prices!!!!

The HuaHong ss21 as it's listed, is WELL WORTH A PUNT.

Ian

#2379 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:59

fuguilong 1009.JPG fuguilong 1009. 2.JPG

I'm quite enjoying trying out these "other" manufacturers pens, and have another couple on their way.

Let's be honest....£1.07 for a decent looking fountain pen that works well is just silly, I mean what else can you buy for a £1.

It's also quite fun that there is no clue who makes the pens from this supplier until they arrive.....and you think WHO?....and the search for info begins....all good fun.  :thumbup:

I've been using this pen all day (among others) and It's been writing away nicely with nothing untoward to report.

I wonder who makes the next 2 that I've ordered.. :lol:  

Ian

#2380 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 15:19

concerns me a bit just exactly *how* these pens can be sold so cheaply..

Noodler's Ahab | Jinhao 159 | Lamy Safari | Muji | Pilot 78g | Waterman Phileas

#2381 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 16:07

concerns me a bit just exactly *how* these pens can be sold so cheaply..

I remember someone explaining "how" on here a while back.

It's something to do with the value of "foreign" money being brought into the Chinese coffers from outside China, and the products being produced on such a scale that they cost very little to make, yet bring valuable "foreign" currency into the economy which is very good.

Or something along those lines.

It isn't something that would "concern me".

If China/Chinese vendors are happy to sell at such low prices, then I'm more than happy to buy. ;)

Ian

#2382 SmoutKa

SmoutKa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 17:34

I did not read 'Fugly Long', did I?

:o  :rolleyes:

#2383 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:51

Hahahaha

If it was an Ahab would it be a Butt Fugly long?

Ian

#2384 SmoutKa

SmoutKa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:30

:D

Just to get it back on topic: I wrote my brand new red Jinhao 599 (Google Jinhao Sapari...), loaded with 'de Atramentis Die Eifel'. A fiery red, inspired by erupting volcanoes. What is more, it is intended to smell like that, too. To those who live near volcanoes: i hope this is not the right arome... :huh:  A detail I missed when I ordered it. I wrote a review about it here on FPN, some years ago. 

Anywayz, the relevance for the 599 is the following:

1) my 599 is a dry writer, this ink flows like, ehhh, a volcano? Together, they team up perfectly. Good nib, 

2) It is the only red that does the red 599 justice. And all that in the week of the eruption of the volcano in Chili.

Edit: found review

Edited by SmoutKa, 24 April 2015 - 20:38.

#2385 katerchen

katerchen

Extremely Rare

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:31

Same three as always ... I went on a buying frenzy last year of which I kept five. Three of those never leave my desk anymore:

• x750 with a Knox OB nib in Bordeaux Swirl, filled with Diamine Registrar's
  • Hero 1000, Fine, vintage Skrip #22 (Blue/Black)
  • Kaigelu 316, charcoal, factory medium that I ground into a stub. Not BLS quality but pretty darn close. Filled with Liberty's Elysium

-k

(The other two are a white marble K316 and a Jinhao Century MKII. They somehow never grew on me)