What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Today I am mainly using a Luoshi 995. The pen really didn't like Montblanc Midnight and did a huff and refused to write. I have now flushed it out again and with Waterman Havana inside it is writing smoothly and cleanly again.

Re: Aurora Black - I have some, its ok but nothing striking. Diamine Onyx Black is a lot blacker

Re: Diamine Bilberry - gorgeous ink. I use lots of it.

Hmmm....interesting.....

I do like Diamine inks, and not too expensive .....

I must admit I tend to look at Diamine for nice colours.....not black....thanks....I'll take another look....I think I shall have to find a replacement for Aurora anyway when that's all gone..... :thumbup:

Oh...today it's the Baoer 79 ....and the Beijing Jinxing A28 (loaded with Diamine Denim)

Edited by 51ISH

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if anyone knows of a nice black anywhere, possibly that has some irridescence when it dries? That would make a lovely match for the pen.

The closest thing that comes to mind would be Diamine Eclipse.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Richard

...Earlier today, I ordered a Kaigelu 356 in silver. After reading Richard's frequent mentions of this pen, I finally surrendered and placed an order.

Oh No. Someone else I've got to feel guilty about..!

Regards,

Richard.

...Earlier today, I ordered a Kaigelu 356 in silver. After reading Richard's frequent mentions of this pen, I finally surrendered and placed an order.

Regards,

Richard.

Frankly Richard.....

I don't know how you manage to sleep at night....

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Regards,

Richard.

Frankly Richard.....

Well, just to add a little caffeine to Richard's insomnia, I ordered a Kaigelu 316 amber/grey rollerboall for my ex-wife. (She won't write with an FP). I WILL tell her, tho', that you recommended the brand !

51SH, I sent you a PM, about all the black ink samples I've got coming, and an "Off the Wall" theory about adding an iridescense ingredient to some of the cheaper inks that you and I use. I like Aurora, and it's not THAT expensive, but supply to the States is rather hit and miss, according to the retailers I talk to to. If I were a betting man, I'd say you're gonna like the Bilberry, too - it's formal enough for just about everything, and it's black, until you compare it to a real black. You can reasonably expect any Diamine to meet your expectations, I think. (And Conway Stewart is just re-banded Diamine - #2 USD cheaper than Noodlers, over here.

Today's pen, for me, was a "found in the back of the desk drawer", Wing Sung 233. Using it to test some of these 50-odd ink samples I've ordered. Along with that, I've ordered some more Rhodia "R" pads, and the Clairfontaine 1951 notebooks.

My hip only hurts once a day now...from the time I wake up, until I go back to sleep.

Take Care, my friends

J.R.

You folks Take Care,

J.R.

Richard, what paper do you use for your Parker Quink ? Changing to somethink like Rhodia "R" paper might make the Paker shine (don't know from experience, just a thought).

Won't be using any of the Chinese pens today .. I will be playing with the TWSBI VAC 700 .. well ... technically, it is still a Chinese pen :D

Regards,

Richard.

Frankly Richard.....

Well, just to add a little caffeine to Richard's insomnia, I ordered a Kaigelu 316 amber/grey rollerboall for my ex-wife. (She won't write with an FP). I WILL tell her, tho', that you recommended the brand !

51SH, I sent you a PM, about all the black ink samples I've got coming, and an "Off the Wall" theory about adding an iridescense ingredient to some of the cheaper inks that you and I use. I like Aurora, and it's not THAT expensive, but supply to the States is rather hit and miss, according to the retailers I talk to to. If I were a betting man, I'd say you're gonna like the Bilberry, too - it's formal enough for just about everything, and it's black, until you compare it to a real black. You can reasonably expect any Diamine to meet your expectations, I think. (And Conway Stewart is just re-banded Diamine - #2 USD cheaper than Noodlers, over here.

Today's pen, for me, was a "found in the back of the desk drawer", Wing Sung 233. Using it to test some of these 50-odd ink samples I've ordered. Along with that, I've ordered some more Rhodia "R" pads, and the Clairfontaine 1951 notebooks.

My hip only hurts once a day now...from the time I wake up, until I go back to sleep.

Take Care, my friends

J.R.

You folks Take Care,

J.R.

Richard, what paper do you use for your Parker Quink ? Changing to somethink like Rhodia "R" paper might make the Paker shine (don't know from experience, just a thought).

:embarrassed_smile: J.R. My apologies Sir, I did see your P.M. and I did send myself a mental note to send you a reply ...but then it went clean out of my head... :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your hip 'giving you gip' my friend....but if you manage to get some sleep, you are a very lucky fellow :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Oh, and don't you worry about that Richard getting any sleep my friend, I would bet he sleeps like a baby :rolleyes:

Keep on taking the tablets....that hip will start to improve soon... :thumbup:

Incidentally, I have yet to purchase a 'bad' Diamine ink...I do like Oxblood, Damson, and Chocolate Brown especially.

Get well soon J,R.

No Chinese...... or any other pens used today...... :yikes:

I don't sleep well most nights, but there is a non-FPN related reason. There are 4 reasons. All feline. They like to sleep on our bed and if we forget to shut the bedroom door (as is often the case) then we have a case study of why felines are actually twice as big as they look, and ten times heavier than the scales indicate.

I must admit I tend not to use any fancy paper for my whriting. Almost all of it come out of the laser printer...

Today's pens are a Jinhao Century Mk2 and a Kaigelu 316 Charcoal.

Yesterday I was talking to a pen customer for my kit pens, and they described their ideal black blank for a pen. It was pearlescent while still being black. So I pulled out the Charcoal K316 and showed it to them, and nearly lost the pen..! The only thing that stopped them from buying one through me was the wear on the barrel finial & rings.

Regards,

Richard

Inked up a Wing Sung 233 with J. Herbin Perle Noire for today

one of these days, the Kaigelu 316 will be brought to play ... sigh ... so many pens, so little time.

Edited by WC Lee

WC, how do you like the Perle Noire, compared to other black inks that you've tried ? I have a sample enroute right now, along with a few others. And, as always, a W.S. 233, freshly flushed and cleaned to be used with it !

I have other Chinese pens, such as the Jinhao Century, that I use regularly - but the familiarity of the W.S. 233 is like a conversation with an old friend, every time I pick one up.

Richard, I don't remember if I said it previously, but I gave my 316 to a favorite cousin. I can surely understand your affinity for it, but the Jinhao has the tiniest bit better balance, or maybe it's the section, or girth, or whatever - for me. They really are cut from the same mold, tho'. That Rhodia "R" premium paper has a somewhat longer drying time, but almost all inks seem to retain more of the 'wet' look, versus copy paper. I also have a sample of Clairfontaine coming, just to compare with the Rhodia.

Ah, 51...don't fret about the PM, my friend ! Just more of the same blather, that I'm famous for... We're both Diamine addicts, I suppose. That's not such a bad thing, tho' ?

I'm about ready to hobble out, for Physical Therapy, with my Jinhao, loaded with Conway Stewart Kingsand (which I understand, is Diamine Ochre, with a different label) ?

Take Care,

J.R.

Today is still my hero 616 but with a change of ink to Diamine Midnight. My Kaigelu 316 with Burma Road Brown.

Is there another copy of the Duofold that Jinhao makes?

Oh I almost forgot my Jinhao pocket rocket with Lexington Grey.

The Jinhao Century comes in 2 shapes and four colours. The older Mk1 (as I call it) has a metal thread insert on the barrel and cap lip, while the Mk2 has the threads machined into the base material. I have seen the Mk2 in Black or Blue with chrome trim, while the Mk 1 is in black, blue, red or white with black stripe - all gold plated trim.

The Mk2 is the better pen, though the blue isn't so attractive.

Regards,

Richard.

The Jinhao Century comes in 2 shapes and four colours. The older Mk1 (as I call it) has a metal thread insert on the barrel and cap lip, while the Mk2 has the threads machined into the base material. I have seen the Mk2 in Black or Blue with chrome trim, while the Mk 1 is in black, blue, red or white with black stripe - all gold plated trim.

The Mk2 is the better pen, though the blue isn't so attractive.

Regards,

Richard.

I ordered a blue mark 2. I don't care for the gold trim and I have too many black pens already.

WC, how do you like the Perle Noire, compared to other black inks that you've tried ? I have a sample enroute right now, along with a few others. And, as always, a W.S. 233, freshly flushed and cleaned to be used with it !

I have other Chinese pens, such as the Jinhao Century, that I use regularly - but the familiarity of the W.S. 233 is like a conversation with an old friend, every time I pick one up.

Richard, I don't remember if I said it previously, but I gave my 316 to a favorite cousin. I can surely understand your affinity for it, but the Jinhao has the tiniest bit better balance, or maybe it's the section, or girth, or whatever - for me. They really are cut from the same mold, tho'. That Rhodia "R" premium paper has a somewhat longer drying time, but almost all inks seem to retain more of the 'wet' look, versus copy paper. I also have a sample of Clairfontaine coming, just to compare with the Rhodia.

Ah, 51...don't fret about the PM, my friend ! Just more of the same blather, that I'm famous for... We're both Diamine addicts, I suppose. That's not such a bad thing, tho' ?

I'm about ready to hobble out, for Physical Therapy, with my Jinhao, loaded with Conway Stewart Kingsand (which I understand, is Diamine Ochre, with a different label) ?

Take Care,

J.R.

Perle Noire is a pretty good black, it isn't a deep black like Noodler's Black but it does have a bit of shading depending on the pen used. It's a free flowing ink much like most of the J. Herbin inks. I haven't used it in a long time since getting Noodler's Black, so it has been sitting there doing nothing, but it is in the company of other black inks that haven't used in a long time.

Thanks for the report, W.C. - I received my sample, and agree with you, completely. Perle Noire is a decent ink, but it just isn't as black as my Aurora, although it's a good ink.

I also tried a sample of Noodler's Heart of Darkness, in a Baoer 388 with a "wide" M nib. This is truly Black, Black. Also a very wet ink, with a little longer than average drying time on Rhodia Premium paper.

I have a couple more black samples to try, but I'll hafta clean some pens, to put the stuff in. Diamine Onyx Black, Pilot Namiki Black, P.R. Fast Dry Midnight, and maybe some more - I'll hafta look. So far, I've found nothing to tempt me away from my Aurora, tho'.

Take Care, people.

J.R.