What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Beijing Jinxing A28 for letter writing......

....... and Baoer 5028 1.1 Italic for notes...

I've just returned from holiday.....

and my Kaigelu 316 Charcoal has arrived while I have been away... :clap1:

I have flushed it....but I must resist from inking it...I already have way too many pens inked.... :rolleyes:

It does seem rather 'back heavy'...which I knew before I bought it....but it's rather worse than I thought ...

But the colour is just .... :cloud9:

It must surely be unusable posted....

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hero 329 with hero blue-black, hero 338 (the flighter version of the 329) with hero carbon black ink.

Edited by sebastel23

51ISH, I never post my K316. It really isn't very secure, and as you say it's rather back heavy. You get used to it, but I am going to have a go at making an acrylic back end for mine fairly soon. I have 8-10 kit pens to make for a craft show next month, and then after that I may try it.

The worst pen for back heavyness when posted was my Jinhao 1200, if you let go of the section, the nib flipped up off the paper.

Regards,

Richard.

Kaigelu 356 stainless for general writing, and two Hero 616 jumbo pens inked with green and red ink for correcting and making remarks in research papers. Shame that Kaigelu 356 does not come in a fine nib version :(

Using Youth 208 with Lamy Turquoise ink. I think it works well.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

51ISH, I never post my K316. It really isn't very secure, and as you say it's rather back heavy. You get used to it, but I am going to have a go at making an acrylic back end for mine fairly soon. I have 8-10 kit pens to make for a craft show next month, and then after that I may try it.

The worst pen for back heavyness when posted was my Jinhao 1200, if you let go of the section, the nib flipped up off the paper.

Regards,

Richard.

Is all that weight in that black finial or cap (whatever you call them :roflmho: ) on the back end?

What is it made of .....lead? :roflmho:

The Century seems much more balanced ...IMHO....although...to be honest I haven't used either yet... :rolleyes:

Welcome back JR!

Today's pens are as follows:

Two Hero 616 Jumbos with black and red ink for studying (when vomiting child allows!)

A gorgeous green Hero 605 with J Herbin Éclat de Sapphire for letter writing. One of the nicest Hero pens I own, another good deal from yespens (no association etc).

I'm glad to be back, Flugella !

Still crippled up, going thru recovery - but I did manage to order some new "stuff", since I've been home from hospital. Yesterday's delivery included 2 Baoer 388's - one in Stainless, and one in black laquer over brass. 388's are available only with 'M' nibs, and I was thinking about replacing them with a Bock (which costs more than the pen). Spotted a Baoer 516, available in fine, and thought - "I could swap these nibs, cheaper than the after-market Bock".

Well, shopping online, it's difficult to compare sizes, actually. The 388 is inspired by the Sonnet, the 516 is some sort of maverick (Possibly a Baoer original design ?). Anyway, the 516 is a "hogette", compared to the 388 - Nothing is interchangeable. So, eventually, I'll order some Bock nibs, like I should have done, when Richard first advised me to take that route. I MUCH prefer the 388, the 516 has a different(larger, different shape) section, and different nib. But, of course, some may prefer the styling of the 516, with it's "over the top" clip, etc. If you're like me, don't bother with the 516 - you won't like it.

Also got a Pilot 78G (I know, it's Japanese) - but it's available with a fine, and my Metropolitan only comes with an 'M'. Nibs are easily changed, and now I have the perfect, for me, Metro.

Also picked up some duplicates, since they were on sale. $3 each, for the Guanleming 978 and 2001 Demonstrator. Solid, dependable pens, if they're your cup o' tea. Haven't started playing with them, yet.

Along with a box-full of ink samples from Monteverde and Conway Stewart (rebranded Diamine). CS products are pretty limited, and renamed, but they're just Diamine. The 'Kingsand' is what Diamine Ancient Copper should have been, I really like it. NONE of the Monteverde inks are attention-grabbers, just simple, basic colors - but they're inexpensive.

I'm still playing, flushing, changing colors, etc. If I find anything extraordinary, I'll be sure to pass it along.

All that, and talking with good friends on this forum help to take my mind off this brand-new Titanium hip ! I Thank You, everyone !

Take Care,

J.R.

Regards,

Richard.

Is all that weight in that black finial or cap (whatever you call them :roflmho: ) on the back end?

The Century seems much more balanced ...IMHO....although...to be honest I haven't used either yet... :rolleyes:

51sh, I think those finials, cap bands and blind caps are all brass, covered with black lacquer. They are heavy ! As per Richard, the Jinhao Century is closer to the Duofold Internationl, the K316 is closer to the Duofold Centennial (just a smidge larger). For ME, the Jinhao is the better fit. Neither pen will post, tho'. If they did, they'd be so large, you'd have to constantly hold them on the paper, along with trying to write - they're that unbalanced.

I gave my Kaigelu to a cousin, for Christmas - understand, he's a favorite cousin. They're darn good pens, just don't fit me as well as the Jinhao. Altho', I prefer the clip on the K316, over the Jinhao.

You're gonna like both pens, tho' !

J.R.

I'm glad to be back, Flugella !

Still crippled up, going thru recovery - but I did manage to order some new "stuff", since I've been home from hospital. Yesterday's delivery included 2 Baoer 388's - one in Stainless, and one in black laquer over brass. 388's are available only with 'M' nibs, and I was thinking about replacing them with a Bock (which costs more than the pen). Spotted a Baoer 516, available in fine, and thought - "I could swap these nibs, cheaper than the after-market Bock".

Well, shopping online, it's difficult to compare sizes, actually. The 388 is inspired by the Sonnet, the 516 is some sort of maverick (Possibly a Baoer original design ?). Anyway, the 516 is a "hogette", compared to the 388 - Nothing is interchangeable. So, eventually, I'll order some Bock nibs, like I should have done, when Richard first advised me to take that route. I MUCH prefer the 388, the 516 has a different(larger, different shape) section, and different nib. But, of course, some may prefer the styling of the 516, with it's "over the top" clip, etc. If you're like me, don't bother with the 516 - you won't like it.

Also got a Pilot 78G (I know, it's Japanese) - but it's available with a fine, and my Metropolitan only comes with an 'M'. Nibs are easily changed, and now I have the perfect, for me, Metro.

Also picked up some duplicates, since they were on sale. $3 each, for the Guanleming 978 and 2001 Demonstrator. Solid, dependable pens, if they're your cup o' tea. Haven't started playing with them, yet.

Along with a box-full of ink samples from Monteverde and Conway Stewart (rebranded Diamine). CS products are pretty limited, and renamed, but they're just Diamine. The 'Kingsand' is what Diamine Ancient Copper should have been, I really like it. NONE of the Monteverde inks are attention-grabbers, just simple, basic colors - but they're inexpensive.

I'm still playing, flushing, changing colors, etc. If I find anything extraordinary, I'll be sure to pass it along.

All that, and talking with good friends on this forum help to take my mind off this brand-new Titanium hip ! I Thank You, everyone !

Take Care,

J.R.

I can personally recommend the therapy involved in buying pens.....I think the ladies call it 'Retail Therapy'

There is a therapeutic effect of ordering, and waiting for a pen to arrive in the post :thumbup:

Then, when it arrives the cleaning, flushing, and writing with your new pride and joy....I hate to say it....

but, I think it kept me sane......and continues to do so......trouble is....funds were tight....

So, I started buying Chinese pens....in fact I saw this thread....I blame Richard....that chap has cost me a (small) fortune... :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Speedy recovery J.R.....and....enjoy your pens... :thumbup:

No, it's brass, relative density 8.5 approx, compared to lead at 11.3. It would be lighter to make the finials out of iron/steel (7.8)!

Regards,

Richard.

...So, I started buying Chinese pens....in fact I saw this thread....I blame Richard....that chap has cost me a (small) fortune... :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

:embarrassed_smile:

Well.

This thread does now sport a warning.

Too late for me, I admit!

Regards,

Richard.

Right now I am using Hero 329. Writes like charm.

I have ordered a New Hero 612 from China & also ordered 616 Jumbo from a Seller in India. I may get 616 by tonight & 612 by April.

Krishnan R

Chennai India

Later today:

Jin Hao Century

Baoer 3040

Hero 616

Made some adjustments to the Jin Hao last night and going put it through the paces, hopefully, it won't spit ink at me :D

Edited by WC Lee

My Mk2 Jinhao Century is today's pen.

If anything, I use it more than my Pearl & Black Duofold International. It is a really nice pen & I was so disappointed when I dropped the cap & chipped it on a bowl.

Regards,

Richard.

Later today:

Jin Hao Century

Baoer 3040

Hero 616

Made some adjustments to the Jin Hao last night and going put it through the paces, hopefully, it won't spit ink at me :D

What adjustment did you make to your Century WC ? Tell us about it, pls !

Pleasant surprise this morning, the Baoer 388 loaded with Monteverde Turquoise makes a terrific combination (to my tired eyes). Maybe not appropriate for every situation, but for personal correspondence with people familiar with FP's, it's an eye catcher !

I will use others, I'm sure, the day is young !

Tale care,

J.R.