Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Folks,

Well, I'm back, with my new hip. Still a lot of pain, and I can't walk w/o great difficulty, but the Dr's have released me, and tell me that I'll be fine, with time. I presented the Baoer to my surgeon, just before the surgery, and he was literally astonished ! He thanked me profusely, and I'm thanking all of you for the fine suggestions, about the ink I loaded it with.

Bought myself a present, for being such a good boy through the whole ordeal. (No, it wasn't Chinese - and I regret that.) I purchased a new Laban Meno, which performs like it should - no reason to send it back, at all. But I'm just disappointed with a pen that costs this much, and I have $3 Chinese pens that are more comfortable to write with.

At the moment, I'm using it with Diamine Soft Mint, to send out St. Paddy's cards, but will probably swap it out for a Wing Sung 233, shortly.

I'll be lurking around, checking all the past posts, since I've been gone. I'm still taking copious amounts of pain pills, so if I sound a little goofy at times, I apologize in advance, and ask that you just say, "Ah well, that's just J.R." !!

Have a great day, everyone !

J.R.

big nibs:

jinhao X450

jinhao X750

kaigelu 322

big pen (with big nib):

jinhao 159

(these are only the ones i know of, there will be lots more)

my recommendation though is to go with the regular sized nibs:

jinhao century

hero 7022

hero 704

kaigelu 316

kaigelu 356

and with my recent experience, i'd recommend to also get a handful hero 616.

good luck with finding them!

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep my eye open.

HERO pens,smooth but inexpensive.like hero 100?

the Hero 100 is on my list, but I hope I will be able to compare to the 1000. Those two seem to be similar but I hear that the 1000 has better construction.

Get yourself back together as quickly as possible, JR.

Some of us (me included) don't need pills to sound a bit goofy though! Must come naturally.

Today's pen was my K316. Sold a couple of kit pens & I couldn't bring out anything too flashy otherwise I'd loose it!

Regards,

Richard

Edited by richardandtracy

I m using Hero 329 from yesterday. I couldn't find much difference when compared with Hero 336, but writes like charm... Does any Hero pen hav bold Italic Nib?

Krishnan R

Chennai India

Hi Folks,

Well, I'm back, with my new hip. Still a lot of pain, and I can't walk w/o great difficulty, but the Dr's have released me, and tell me that I'll be fine, with time. I presented the Baoer to my surgeon, just before the surgery, and he was literally astonished ! He thanked me profusely, and I'm thanking all of you for the fine suggestions, about the ink I loaded it with.

Bought myself a present, for being such a good boy through the whole ordeal. (No, it wasn't Chinese - and I regret that.) I purchased a new Laban Meno, which performs like it should - no reason to send it back, at all. But I'm just disappointed with a pen that costs this much, and I have $3 Chinese pens that are more comfortable to write with.

At the moment, I'm using it with Diamine Soft Mint, to send out St. Paddy's cards, but will probably swap it out for a Wing Sung 233, shortly.

I'll be lurking around, checking all the past posts, since I've been gone. I'm still taking copious amounts of pain pills, so if I sound a little goofy at times, I apologize in advance, and ask that you just say, "Ah well, that's just J.R." !!

Have a great day, everyone !

J.R.

WB! Glad to hear you have your new hip and that Doc was happy with his pen. :thumbup:

And happy St. Paddy's Day.

I suppose I should use my green Hero 329 with its load of Bad Green Gator.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

J.R. Welcome back. I'm glad to hear the doc loved the pen.

Today I'm using my Baoer 79 inked with Pelikan Violet.

J.R., wish you a quick recovery.

here in SH, i seem to finally have "gotten" fine nibs. must be rigid, for me - so it's the normal steel nibbed hero 616 for today, loaded with my regular hero black-blue.

My good intentions with regard to pen rotation have not really been realised - I'm just lugging more and more pens round with me daily. Still enjoying using the Jinhao A5 when I pick it up. I've been using a Hero 616 for quite a lot of note taking, and like it just as much as my 326s - I'm not a fine nib person, but I like scratching about with these. The revelation of the last couple of weeks has been my new Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands - the DISCO PEN - which I really love writing with. My new Baoer 517 hasn't been inked yet, just waiting for the first of my 5 inked pens to run out...

I should also have said: I'm only a lurker, J.R, but the other day I read your plan to give a pen to your surgeon and thought it was a lovely idea, and it sounds like he thought so too. I hope you're back to your best very soon.

Hi Friends,

You have all been BUSY, in my absence ! Lots of good reading, in order to catch up. Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes - I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, now.

Yesterday was my 3-week "follow-up" with the surgeon, and I noticed he had the Baoer clipped to the pocket of his white lab coat - I know I'm not his only patient, so I doubt that he did that just for me. Altho', we didn't discuss the pen, he must be using it, huh ?

Richard, those Jinhao's are pretty striking in appearance, but I'm not sure they're for me... (matter of taste, I know). With all these new pens mentioned, I'm gonna make a shopping list - I need to replace that Baoer, anyway. But, that'll wait, 'till I sober up.

I pulled out the Jinhao Century Mark I today - it's loaded with Diamine Ancient Copper, but I'm going to flush that, and reload it. The A.C. just doesn't work, for me. The thought of grey ink had never even floated thru my mind before, but I've got it loaded in a Bexley, and I think that's what I'll use in the Jinhao. That, and the ever-ready Wing Sung should get me thru the day.

Take Care, everyone

J.R.

got something new today: a hero 329 (new style).

while it is definitely a cheapo, the nib hardly needed work to become a smooth fine (on the fine side of fine) one. (*)

after i finally discovered the qualities of fine hooded nibs (you just need to 'take it easy'), i am almost stunned by the quality delivered by these really cheap pens. i paid 8.50 yuan RMB in a very common shop (about US$ 1.30), and this means you can get them a LOT cheaper, if you search taobao. still, they just work! ok, they are no beauties, but consider them tools, and you know what i mean.

of course i am tempted to compare them with my other "big news" (a new W-E skyline). an unfair comparison? yes, certainly it is unfair to the W-E. the skyline is light, smooth, variable, dynamic, beautiful, pleasant. sure it is. but in the end, it "only leaves a line," just like the heroes. and with my personal write - a bit spoilt by ball pens, but favouring fountains - there is not so much speaking for the grand semi-flex of the W-E. don't get me wrong, i like that one a lot. but somehow, the lowly 329 and 616 are like a shirt to the trousers - a bit closer ...

and my monster 6.16 (616 pen with 100 gold nib) is alway ready to provide a rich line, whenever the requirement comes up.

only one question is left: how about long time use? time will tell.

waiting for a leica M monochrom.

cheers,

sebastian

(hobby photographer, music listener and penthusiastic)

(*) after my devastating experience with a pelikan 100 i never expected this to be possible: a nib both fine and smooth. and able to resist my sometimes heavy hand, too ...

the world hosts more miracles than we are able to dream of. and i only refer to pens here!

Edited by sebastel23

JR - best wishes for a rapid recovery. Good to have you back :thumbup:

Todays pen is a Jinhao 159 (I've been doing arm-building exercises), fuelled with Diamine Graphite. I am enjoying it and the Graphite ink is a little less harsh than full black.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Thanks, Mike - it's good to BE back ! Recovery is slower than I'd like, but more knowledgeable Dr's want to argue that point with me.

Today's pen is the Baoer 388, which is a very smooth pen. In fact, I have plans to order a couple more of these, just to have in the inventory. Which brings up a question to those who own these pens... I write a smallish, tight script, with a fairly light hand - and the 388 only comes with an M nib, which is a teeny bit wider than I like. Has anyone on this board ever attempted to swap the nib in this pen ? Can it be done, by an average old guy, without special tools ?

Oh, and, heads up, folks - just noticed that Todd, over at ISellPens.com is having a sale on his Guanleming pens. 3 USD each, for the 2001 Demonstrator and the 978 Accountant. The demonstrator is an easy mod to eyedropper, too, if that rings your chimes.

Take Care,

J.R.

The nibs are friction feed. You may be able to fit a 5mm feed Bock or JoWo nib in the pen. I have not tried it so can't say from personal experience.

5mm nibs can be got from Indy Pen Dance http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/bock-180-gilded-polished-nibs.html . However the nib will cost you as much as the pen...

I suggest you grind the nib down on a bit of micromesh instead.

Regards,

Richard.

Still using the Baoer 79, but today it's joind by my Kaigelu 365 inked with Private Reserve Sepia. This is a really nice writer.