Sterling Sovereign Imperial Vs Gold Filled Soverign Imperial

OcalaFlGuy

Actually this is a two sided question.

First, So I cleaned up a stack-o-pens for the Fla pen meet last weekend and was

looking over some of them today. One that always catches my attention is the GF Sovereign Imperial. But I just can't quite feel the love. My watches are all stainless and though I have a few gold pens, generally I find them too blingy for daily carry. With the Sovereign, the "Ciselle" hatching does mitigate that for me a bit.

But I also seem more attracted to the Sterling Imperials, especially the 8XX series TeriM has. For the life of me I can't choose between the two of those she has. :gaah: I also feel better about the Sterling Sovereign than I do the gold.

I'm curious as to what others think. Especially if you have both the gold and Sterling Sovereign.

Now the second part.

If you had a 8XX series Sterling or the Sterling Sovereign, would you trade it even for a Gold Filled Imperial pen and BP set, in box with chalk?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sexauerw

• dcpritch

• OcalaFlGuy

• Happy Harry

I believe the gold filled Imperial does wear fairly quickly with use compared to most Sheaffer models, a lot of examples that turn up support this observation. That alone makes the SS Imperials a better long term proposition for using. I find the TD SS Imperial better balanced than the c/c examples (although more expensive) so would point you in that direction initially, otherwise it's a matter of personal choice as to which finish takes your "eye".

As to your question, I wouldn't as don't like them ( that's a personal thing..) but that said I think a mint example will gain well in value due to the used pens wearing.

Bruce,

Based on your recommendation I've begun coveting an 8xx sterling Imperial. I saw the NOS pens you liked over at Peyton Street and they seem lovely and are well-priced compared to some of the used stock I saw today at the Philly pen show.

Andy (Shaporama)

I send people to her all the time. She's a nice lady who scores fantastic pens. I almost freaked when I read her say that she'd sold 800 Parker 21's.

I've got 10 or so Imperials so it has to be a pretty nice one to pique my interest. Yeah, like those 8xxxs.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

My personal preference is for the older Touchdown versions. But I do have a couple each of silver and gold c/c models as well. They're all good :thumbup:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/MetalImperials.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have a sterling silver Imperial in what Bill refers to above as a basketweave pattern, but I've also heard it called a "geometric" pattern, and on vintagepens.com David Nishimura calls it a "zigzag diamond engine turning". Is there an official name to this pattern? Also, I wonder if someone more knowledgeable could help me narrow down the model number and manufacture date of the pen - my hunch is 1975, give or take a year either way. Mine has a squeeze filler, rather than a TD filler, and the most wonderful nib!

Sorry for the tall picture!

fpn_1331614309__sheaffer_sterling_imperial_2_-_copy.jpg

fpn_1331611904__sheaffer_sterling_imperial_2.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Hi all, I have a sterling silver Imperial in what Bill refers to above as a basketweave pattern, but I've also heard it called a "geometric" pattern, and on vintagepens.com David Nishimura calls it a "zigzag diamond engine turning". Is there an official name to this pattern? Also, I wonder if someone more knowledgeable could help me narrow down the model number and manufacture date of the pen - my hunch is 1975, give or take a year either way. Mine has a squeeze filler, rather than a TD filler, and the most wonderful nib!

<snip>

Model number is 834 as noted in my picture above. Gary Ellison on his www.sheaffertarga.com web site calls it "Imperial Sterling Silver Diamond Pattern". Nomenclature is a problem, catalogs are not consistent and in many cases not accurate. The same pen will have different names in different issues of the catalogs. Dating Sheaffer pens is notoriously difficult, they didn't use date codes on their pens. Furthermore, with production in five countries, dates for a particular model might not have been the same in each country. That said, the 1970's seems right for this pen, but I can't document that.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

When I first saw a picture of the sterling silver Imperial it became one of those must have pens.

I now have one.

GF pens just don't do that. There is something honest about silver whereas GF is pretend gold.

For me personally, sterling every time.

Dick D

Thanks Bill for the helpful info. Where can I find information about the various "models"? Is there a website with old catalogs or advertisements with this information? And I agree, Bruce and Dick, that a sterling silver pen trumps a GF pen any day of the week.

These Sheaffer Imperials are lovely, indeed.

— Samuel Johnson

Thanks Bill for the helpful info. Where can I find information about the various "models"? Is there a website with old catalogs or advertisements with this information? And I agree, Bruce and Dick, that a sterling silver pen trumps a GF pen any day of the week.

Pen Club of America (PCA) has quite a few advertisements and brochures on their site and if you aren't a member it's a great time to join.

My Website

Bruce, I've got a SS Imperial Triumph, purchased from Teri, that just hits my sweet spot, and it splits the difference: the model was the 826, which indicates that it is a sterling silver pen in barleycorn pattern, but has the gold nib and a gold clip. Just those two small additions of gold tend to accent the look without blinging, and the silver work (barleycorn) is very well done. Good balance, writes like a dream. It was, essentially, a brand new pen, thanks to Teri's good stock. The bonus was that it was a secret gift to me from my wife, in cahoots with Ms. Morris. I couldn't be happier.

ETA: corrected the model number, thanks to Bill for reminding me of Gary's pages...

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Gary Ellison has a pretty good index of the models at www.sheaffertarga.com. Enter the site, click on Imperial-Triumph, then on Reference List. The MORE link on each pen will bring up the full picture and more data.

And jar's suggestion of joining the PCA and using their library is a good one, there are indeed several Sheaffer catalogs there. I know because I put some of them there.

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
PCA Member since 2006

Pen Club of America (PCA) has quite a few advertisements and brochures on their site and if you aren't a member it's a great time to join.

Thanks jar, you are right, and I've been meaning to join PCA for quite some time, so I just did a few moments ago. The sign-up is very easy and the membership benefits are obvious. I'm already perusing info on a separate browser page, part of which is Bill's material.

— Samuel Johnson

Her 826 is, to me the best combination of understated elegance and beauty. The gold accents are just there to give a delightful bit of color, but not ostentation. I also happen to prefer the more muted design.

Michael

Michael Monson