What Are The Differences Between A Meisterstuck Classique And Legrand

crispyinaz

Hi All:

I am new and trying to learn. What are the differences between a Meisterstuck Classique and LeGrand? I know the LeGrand is longer than the Classique, but by how much? What are the other characteristics that a person can look for that would allow them to identify a particular pen properly between the two? I have noticed the three digit model numbers associated with the pens and then I see five digit model numbers, what gives? Is the three digit number identifying the Type and the five digit identifying the model number?

I appreciate any help you can give a newbie, thanks.

Chris

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rowbo

• crispyinaz

• hari317

• FredRydr

Top Posters In This Topic

The Classique is cartridge/converter fill.

The Le Grand is a piston fill.

The Le Grand is longer and fatter than the Classique. The Classique is a standard sized model and the Le Grand is a full sized model.

Both have a 3 digit model number than corresponds to their name. 145=Classique, 146= Le Grand.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hi Crispy, if I may call you this :W2FPN:

Sorry it has taken so long for anyone to respond to your question - sometimes it can take a while to get an answer though, so do not think that you are being ignored.

There is lots of information 'out there' on the internet, and 'in here' too. Half the fun is doing the research for yourself.

I recommend starting with the pinned threads at the top of this forum - in your case the 'reference sites' will certainly help - though a couple of the links are now 'dead'.

In answer to your question about the Meisterstuck Le Grand 146 and the Meisterstuck Classique 144, if you have them side-by-side then the obvious difference is the size of the pen and the size of the nib. If you only have a picture of one of them, then it is slightly more difficult. In this case, dependent on the view of the pen you are given (capped or un-capped) and the quality of the photograph, then the Classique (except vintage ones) is a push-on cap and it has a gold band just behind the nib. The bands on the cap are also different - the lowermost being at the very rim of the cap. The Le Grand has a window in the body that is not always visible in photographs. I am of the opinion that there are those here who could tell the difference just from just a silhouette, by looking at the proportions and shape. Internally the Classique takes either an ink cartridge or a piston operated 'converter'. The 146 does not take a cartridge as it has its own piston built in.

Others could add lots more to this - but do 'go looking'- you will learn loads.

Regards

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

What are the differences between a Meisterstuck Classique and LeGrand?

Hello Chris, the following picture shows all the pens except the largest 149 in the current meisterstuck lineup:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Rs/IMG_5991.jpg

L-R: 114Mozart, 144Classique, 145Chopin, 147Traveller, 146Legrand.

More pictures in this thread: link

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

To clarify the apparent contradiction above. The 144 Classique has been discontinued. The 145 Chopin has recently been renamed Classique.

BTW; no problem with crispy, it happens to be a play on my first name and last initial. :thumbup:

I appreciate the responses and pics. I will continue to do my reading and research on Montblanc, but have found it difficult to come across exact dimensions of MB pens. Could someone provide the length of these different types and sizes of the MB pens. It seems simple enough when you have all the different types side by side, but it could be a challenge for a newbie to know what they are looking at if all they have is a picture or looking at a single pen.

Thanks,

Chris

The nib sizes vary, too. The last of the three digits in the model number specifies the nib size.

Fred

Some dimensions on this site My link and here another link.

These are not definitive and generally refer to vintage pens. Modern day models are likely to be different.

My 1970 '146' Le Grand is 143 mm long capped/125 mm uncapped and my modern '144' is 136/118 mm. I cannot accurately measure the barrel girth because I've misplaced my vernier. I guess 12mm and 10mm respectively.

Hope this helps.

• 11 years later...
On 1/17/2012 at 11:09 AM, hari317 said:

Hello Chris, the following picture shows all the pens except the largest 149 in the current meisterstuck lineup:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Rs/IMG_5991.jpg

L-R: 114Mozart, 144Classique, 145Chopin, 147Traveller, 146Legrand.

More pictures in this thread: link

Thank you for the photos! Very helpful!