Brands You Will Never Buy From

seoulseeker

I shall never buy anything again from Conway Stewart. Not because of the quality of their products but because of their customer support or lack of.

I'll second that. My experience with service (Mary) was fine, but the modern pens have absolutely crappy quality control. Two out of two (that makes...um... oh yeah - a 100% defect rate) were faulty. I am probably unlucky, but that is pretty ridiculous. One was machined with the threads on the wrong piece so that the section came off and stayed inside the cap every time you removed the cap. The other had the whole nib fall out on the desk the first time the cap was unscrewed. Way to go, Conway Stewart!

No problem at all with vintage CS, but the company has become a boutique MB wannabe, a shadow of its former self.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• ethernautrix

• pajaro

• amberleadavis

I forgot, I will never, ever, ever, in 9 lives buy a Wedgewood fountain pen. If I was forced to use one, I would probably crush the nib.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

I wouldn't buy a new Montblanc because I loathe the personal luxury brand it has become. I would consider buying a used model preferably vintage and wouldn't turn down a gift of a Montblanc.

It's really difficult for me to get past ages of nasty gritty feeling twist action Cross ballpoints to give them any sort of shot, but it could happen one day.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I wouldn't buy a new Montblanc because I loathe the personal luxury brand it has become. I would consider buying a used model preferably vintage and wouldn't turn down a gift of a Montblanc.

It's really difficult for me to get past ages of nasty gritty feeling twist action Cross ballpoints to give them any sort of shot, but it could happen one day.

Cross fountain pens are really quite nice. No twisting with them, except with the converter.

If you loathe the luxury cachet of Montblanc and wouldn't buy one, why would you have one as a gift? The price of the new ones is more than I would want to spend on any pen, but I have a few used 144s and a 146. They are about the best you will find after, of course, the Parker 51.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I loathe the idea of my money going to the Montblanc personal luxury mill. I'm not in control of the money spent by others. I would never ask for one as a gift, but I can see how somebody who knows my taste in pens would see one as a good choice and would accept the gift (I accept all gifts graciously, but I'm talking about internal thoughts here).

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I loathe the idea of my money going to the Montblanc personal luxury mill. I'm not in control of the money spent by others. I would never ask for one as a gift, but I can see how somebody who knows my taste in pens would see one as a good choice and would accept the gift (I accept all gifts graciously, but I'm talking about internal thoughts here).

Had I not purchased my MB 149 nearly 25 years ago I might never have had one. For one thing, I could not afford it. Not only was my income higher (when adjusted for inflation) but the current price exceeds what the $279 I paid for it would have been when inflation is taken into account. It has been a remarkably dependable pen and is probably the only pen of that quality I will ever own. I love it. What i do not love is the way MB has expanded its accessory line to the point where they have begun to overshadow the writing implements. There is no shame in being a quality pen company and I wish they'd stick to it.

Of course, it is possible that the proliferation of less expensive pens that write nearly as well (or, in some cases, just as well) as many more expensive models has led them to hedge their bets by broadening their offerings so they can capture the business of people who know little, and care less, about pens beyond their capacity to convey status to the user - in reality, however, isn't it (or shouldn't it be) the user who conveys status to the object?

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

I was very disappointed with my first and only Sheaffer, a 300. I'd have to see / read about / play with a lot of them that I liked before buying another.

The Sheaffer 300 is not a good example of a Sheaffer pen. I think the designer misunderstood and thought they were selling them by the pound, because they're big, clumsy, and heavy.

Although the nib and feed are similar, the Sheaffer Prelude is a far better pen.

However, if you really want a nice Sheaffer, get a vintage one, or one of the NOS ones that are still available at various places. (I got my NOS Sheaffers from Teri at Peyton Street Pens.)

Not only was my income higher (when adjusted for inflation)

That has happened to far too many of us. :( Blame Milton Friedman and his ilk.

Of course, it is possible that the proliferation of less expensive pens that write nearly as well (or, in some cases, just as well) as many more expensive models has led them to hedge their bets by broadening their offerings so they can capture the business of people who know little, and care less, about pens beyond their capacity to convey status to the user - in reality, however, isn't it (or shouldn't it be) the user who conveys statu

Or it's just because papa Richemont is just being, you know, himself.

You have to hand it to them though, I mean how many other pen companies of comparable stature and lineage can claim to have done as well as MB has? (but at the expense of what? Can pen companies have a soul? :P)

This only concerns modern pens.

Never (or never again):

- Conway Stewart because of their ridiculous warranty policy.

- Montblanc, they are way too expensive for what you get, and their reparing services has horrendous prices now.

(My 254 was made nearly as new by Fountainbel for 45€, when MB was asking 230€+shipping, and I seriously doubt they would have done it better than he did).

- I don't know about Sheaffer pens, I just don't like their overall design.

Maybe (or maybe not):

- I don't know about Visconti pens, the QC seems to be too random, from what I've read here.

- Stipula : I bought a T model yesterday, very flexible nib. Even if I'm not too fond of the little 'pearl' on the clip, it seems to be a nice pen. I'll follow their production in the future.

- Omas, when I have the chance to try one.

- Waterman, if they finally can make cool high-end pens again.

Particularly recommended :

- S.T. Dupont, for impressive global quality and attention to details.

- Sailor, for their amazing nibs and great attention to detail (professional gear in KOP format might be my next purchase. Tried it yesterday, still drooling).

- Pelikan M1000, for their incredibly flexy F nib (in a modern pen point of view) and the quality/price ratio.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I don't think I would ever buy a Parker, Sheaffer or Mont Blanc.

Parker's customer service is terrible and the quality of most of their ranges is now aweful - especially for the price. I also find a lot of the range quite dull and boring. Seeing as Waterman is the same company as Parker I would have to say I also wouldn't buy a Waterman although I think some of their designs are a bit better.

Pretty much the same for Sheaffer. The quality is now terrible with a lot of the pens now featuring way too much plastic.

Although I have never owned a Mont Blanc I have heard and read a lot of bad reviews about the pens and the customer service. A friend of mine works for The Pen Shop and says Mont Blanc are one of the worst manufactures to deal with - its never Mont Blancs bad workmanship but always the customers fault.

Edited by Jamo_s

I am deeply disappointed in all of you, fellow FPN members, for participating in such an unhealthy thread.

Expressing intense dislike for a particular brand, rather than a specific pen, is nothing other than brand-bashing. It serves no purpose, except to create negativity, and unfairly tarnishing certain brands to potential users, who may be put off purely by hearsay. Everyone's reasons for avoiding certain brands are different, and usually personal.

Tastes differ. One person's "oooh" is the other one's "ughhh", whether based on features of the product, or impressions of the company.

Even if there were a brand I did not like, I would simply avoid it, and I would not spill my guts about it, out of respect, if nothing else.

Maybe I see too much silver lining around dark clouds, maybe I am too optimistic and too positive, but I would much rather enjoy discussing things I like, and try and avoid or forget about what I dislike.

You should be ashamed of yourselves!!! :angry:

Now go, and play nice :thumbup:

Montblanc, only because it screams of ignorant corrupt official where I'm from...

Nothing wrong with people who actually appreciate them.

I ran into a friend today and he mentioned that he will never again buy a Parker, after his first experience with their service, after having a very sketchy quality nib. He was also very obstinate about never purchasing from Lamy, calling their pens "ugly".

It got me thinking though, that I will probably never buy a Platinum, just because I think their nibs usually look hideous. Other brands that seem to primarily construct from celluloid crossed my mind, as I'm not a fan of the material.

Do you have any brand you flat out refuse to buy from, or to buy from again? What's the story behind it?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I am deeply disappointed in all of you, fellow FPN members, for participating in such an unhealthy thread.

Expressing intense dislike for a particular brand, rather than a specific pen, is nothing other than brand-bashing. It serves no purpose, except to create negativity, and unfairly tarnishing certain brands to potential users, who may be put off purely by hearsay. Everyone's reasons for avoiding certain brands are different, and usually personal.

Tastes differ. One person's "oooh" is the other one's "ughhh", whether based on features of the product, or impressions of the company.

Even if there were a brand I did not like, I would simply avoid it, and I would not spill my guts about it, out of respect, if nothing else.

Maybe I see too much silver lining around dark clouds, maybe I am too optimistic and too positive, but I would much rather enjoy discussing things I like, and try and avoid or forget about what I dislike.

You should be ashamed of yourselves!!! :angry:

Now go, and play nice :thumbup:

OK. An your point is?

It's no more valid to complain about a particular model than a brand. Take the Lamy Safari for instance. Members have had Safaris break on them, get stained by an ink (Baystate), have determined that the look of the pen isn't for them and the like. I love my Safaris. Opinions are what this forum is all about, and people should not shy away from saying in their opinion brand X is terrible or pen Y is their favorite.

I know a couple of Wedgwood collectors who would probably disagree with you.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but we should not lose track of the fact that our opinions are not necessarily held by others. Saying that any pen is the "absolute ugliest" is not actually a provable statement :hmm1:

YMMV,

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Modern Waterman: first expensive pen (for me at the time) I ever bought and one day, after 2 months, a one-inch wide piece of its plastic came off the barrel near the top, about the thickness of a dime. Also, the very tip of the nib appears to bend upward while writing, like it secretly wants to be a "fude" nib :rolleyes:

Modern Sheaffers: I do love my vintage Triumph! But I have a Sheaffer 300; small nib, but after changing inks, it does write ok. Not my best, wouldn't buy another.

No more Vintage Mabie Todds: Sorry to offend anyone who loves these pens, but the nibs on ones I have had were scratchy (even after brown paper fix).

x750 Marmor Chinese pen: After a great experience with the Baoer and Jinhao pens, I purchased an inexpensive Marmor. The nib is awful. Feed is poor. It looks pretty but I use it as a paperweight.

Visconti: Well made pens, but the nibs on my two pens skip on the downstroke. I bought a used, mint Van Gogh midi (broad nib) and it did this. Six months later, I bought another midi, new on close-out (medium nib)hoping it would be better. It does the same thing. I watched a youtube video of someone showing off their more expensive Visconti pen and it did the same thing!

Any pen that costs several hundred $ and up. Somehow I can kind of justify treating myself to a luxury item for my accomplishments and hard work. But I have a hard time justifying paying hundreds of dollars for a plastic fountain pen. My Sailor 1911 costs $230. That's my personal limit. The nib is a dream and that's what I really paid for...the nib. And even then, I find myself reaching mostly for the little vintage Conway Stewart 84 ($40 on ebay)while asking: why do I need any other pen????? :roflmho:

Edited by empyrean
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

It seems like the high end pocket jewlery pens are never-buy-again pens. I agree with the

Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer (other than the Valor)verbage. I am finding a lot of good writing in

Sub $150 range lately, even though I have my share of Pelikans, Pilots, etc. The Bexley, Pilot,

Lamy 2000, Pilot VP, and so on are all good value for experience. A personal thing though.

In contrast there are FPN people who are very happy writing with a collection that no pen cost over $100, some

even less. Kinda like politics and religion; talked about forever.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.