#1 CosmicSlop

CosmicSlop

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:33

Any suggestions as to stores or places I should hit to check out some pens, papers and inks? I may run down to J and R Music (my old stomping ground) also so suggestions of anything along to way are also appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted Image "Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit." - Spartan Proverb
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me". - Miles Davis
Free speech is expensive, so you might as well pay attention. - Geo. Clinton

#2 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:44

:mellow:

Any suggestions as to stores or places I should hit to check out some pens, papers and inks? I may run down to J and R Music (my old stomping ground) also so suggestions of anything along to way are also appreciated.

Thanks.

You must visit the Fountain Pen Hospital, its not in Midtown, but it is on Warren Street, just the other side of City Hall from J&R Music. In mid-town you should plan on visiting Art Brown Int'l Pens on W 45th St. Both stores are a treat.

#3 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2012 - 21:48

:mellow:

Thanks.

You must visit the Fountain Pen Hospital, its not in Midtown, but it is on Warren Street, just the other side of City Hall from J&R Music. In mid-town you should plan on visiting Art Brown Int'l Pens on W 45th St. Both stores are a treat.

As a recent first time visitor to NY (love the place) I went to both. Excellent pen stores that I really enjoyed, especially the stationery range at Art Browns. By the way I don't think FPH is open on weekends and Art Browns doesn't open on Sundays. Not sure where you are staying but one of the best things about NY is just how walkable the city is (not sure about current weather). Make sure you get to Art Browns.
Posted Image

#4 CosmicSlop

CosmicSlop

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2012 - 22:55

Yeah. I called FPH and found that they are closed on the weekends. However, I will try and hit Art Brown. Since this is a day trip I don't know if I'll be able to spend as much time as I'd like in the store. :( The good thing is while my daughter is off doing her thing I'll have a couple of hours to play.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

#5 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 1,656 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:49

So....

What did you buy us?

gary

#6 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:17

One of the best opportunities in Manhattan is the search for NOS at older stationary stores and stores that have bought old stock from stores that have closed.

Some of these stores are on the west side, 20's (Chelsea), upper west and upper east side. I once got a MB Sterling Silver Rollerball for about $250 off. When I got it home I looked at the box and it was from the old Crane's store in Rockefeller Plaza.

For a high end retailer, definitely FPH and Joon:
Joon has a wonderful store at 795 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY
(212) 935-1007 ‎ ˇ joonpens.com

and Grand Central

107 East 42nd Street, New York, NY
(212) 949-1700 ‎ ˇ joonpens.com
Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

#7 desdedez

desdedez

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:02

Joon's Grand Central store has close down.

#8 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:35

Joon's Grand Central store has close down.

Called in there on my recent visit and not surprised. Didn't seem to have much stock. Now I know why.
Posted Image

#9 CosmicSlop

CosmicSlop

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2012 - 20:13

Well... I wound up going to Art Brown's and had a very good shopping experience. I met Mrs Brown ( I think that was her) and had fun talking to her about inks and how she doesn't love or understand computer technology :) She's great!

I looked at a number of pens and bought a bottle of J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush and De Atramentis Santa Claus Ink 2011 Sky Blue (scented) - IT SMELLS GREAT!

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

Edited by CosmicSlop, 09 January 2012 - 20:14.

#10 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 00:35

Well... I wound up going to Art Brown's and had a very good shopping experience. I met Mrs Brown ( I think that was her) and had fun talking to her about inks and how she doesn't love or understand computer technology :) She's great!

I looked at a number of pens and bought a bottle of J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush and De Atramentis Santa Claus Ink 2011 Sky Blue (scented) - IT SMELLS GREAT!

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

Glad it was so productive. I was in Art Browns last week as well. Their staff is excellent, very knowledgeable and friendly.