Lamy Z24 And Z26 Converters

gmrza

With my Lamy Safaris, I have found that one problem with the Z24 converters is that very quickly, ink seems to make its way behind the piston of the converter. With the Lamy converter this seems almost impossible to clean, because unlike the converter that ships with the Mont Blanc Chopin, the Z24 cannot just be unscrewed.

I recently acquired a Lamy Studio, with the Z26 converter, and one the first things I noticed was that after a bit of use, I had no ink behind the piston.

Is the build quality of the Z26 better than the Z24? Has anyone made any similar observations?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• flight878

• bayindirh

• Time-Traveller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With my Lamy Safaris, I have found that one problem with the Z24 converters is that very quickly, ink seems to make its way behind the piston of the converter. With the Lamy converter this seems almost impossible to clean, because unlike the converter that ships with the Mont Blanc Chopin, the Z24 cannot just be unscrewed.

I recently acquired a Lamy Studio, with the Z26 converter, and one the first things I noticed was that after a bit of use, I had no ink behind the piston.

Is the build quality of the Z26 better than the Z24? Has anyone made any similar observations?

No, I can't say that I have had problems with any Lamy converters.

The Z 25 screw type that was used for the Persona and Accent models has been discontinued, but I find all Lamy converters easy enough to remove.

So the Z 24 and Z26 (which is now also used as a replacement for the Z 25) cannot be unscrewed, but it can be pulled out straight (Z 24) or in a twisting motion (Z 26) and comes off easy enough.

As far as clearing any ink that seeps past the piston is concerned, flushing pen and converter with clear water a few times and then flicking any excess water off in a rapid circular arm movement where centrifugal force removes the water works well for me. Normally I do this to clear any remaining water from inside ink reservoir and nib, if any water or ink has gone past the piston I hold the pen with the nib pointing towards the palm of my hand and repeat the process.

As last resort I'd replace the converter.

They're not expensive and I find them easy to get.

To clean off the ink that seeps past the piston, turn the converter upside down and and perform the usual water flush. Immerse the upper half of the converter first (the red (Z24) or black (Z26) handle), turn the converter like usual to draw up water and drain it. It will look weird because it'll seem like you're filling the converter "upside down". Allow plenty of time to dry.

To clean the bottom rubber converter plug, it can be removed by taking a paper towel and twisting a corner to make a tip pointy enough to be inserted into the converter. Once there is some paper towel inside, screw the piston down until the paper towel you put inside creates a barrier space between the piston and the bottom plug. Keep screwing down gently until the downward force and the extra space created by the paper towel pushes the plug out of the converter and you can remove the rest by hand.

If ink doesn't easily go away with water you can use rubbing alcohol.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

• 4 years later...

Now that we're discussing the z24 and z26 anyway: are they really incompatible? When I read https://www.thepencompany.com/product/lamy-z27-fountain-pen-converter/ and https://www.thepencompany.com/product/lamy-z28-fountain-pen-converter/ (in other words: the newere replacements) I see the same dimensions, namely

• Diameter: 7mm
  • Length: 71mm

which suggests that they ought to be interchangeable. Does anyone have any experience / opinions about this?

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

The difference are the pins on the side of the Z24 which snap into the holders an the Lamy Safari, Al-Star, etc. The Z16 doesn't have these pins, so the Converter might slide of the feed inside the barrel of a Safari, etc. Also the Z26 has a slimmer top. The pistons are the same.

The new Z28 has been introduced last year which features the pins and a slimmer top. It's to replace Z24 and Z26.

The converters are actually easy to disassemble. The black/chrome metal ring can be pulled off quite easily on all three (Z24/26/28). So cleaning ist easy. Here is a video with an instruction: http://peninkcillin.blogspot.co.at/2014/07/how-to-completely-disassemble-lamy-z24.html

If ink keeps creeping behind the piston the sealing might be damaged and it should be replaced.

Fun Fact:

Last year I build a hybrid of a Z24 and Z26 for my Lamy Vista. I always was bothered by the red grip at the piston. It didn't fit the whole clear-chrome-black design and distracted from the ink's color.

First I used a Z26 with a chromed spring behind the converter to secure it. But I wasn't entirely pleased with this macgyverism. So I disassembled the two models and combined them into one new converter with a black grip and a chrome ring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/astronymus/Fountainpennetwork/konverter_umbau_Z2426_zpsf7cknzk0.jpg

Don't know if anyone has done this before. I guess so, but didn't find anything on the net. :)

Edited by Astronymus

I have many Z24 converters none of them passed ink behind the piston seal. It may have a piece of dust or something similar inside it. A reverse flush will clean it IMHO.

Safari/Vista are the number one choice for children, teens and university students, consequently, they are transported a lot.

A converter with the strong little nobs is more secure.

I use my Vistas/Safari at my desk, I switched from a z24 to a z26 when I grew tired of seeing the bright red converter in the Vista. It clashes with all my desk accessories.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 8 months later...

The difference are the pins on the side of the Z24 which snap into the holders an the Lamy Safari, Al-Star, etc. The Z16 doesn't have these pins, so the Converter might slide of the feed inside the barrel of a Safari, etc. Also the Z26 has a slimmer top. The pistons are the same.

The new Z28 has been introduced last year which features the pins and a slimmer top. It's to replace Z24 and Z26.

The converters are actually easy to disassemble. The black/chrome metal ring can be pulled off quite easily on all three (Z24/26/28). So cleaning ist easy. Here is a video with an instruction: http://peninkcillin.blogspot.co.at/2014/07/how-to-completely-disassemble-lamy-z24.html

If ink keeps creeping behind the piston the sealing might be damaged and it should be replaced.

Fun Fact:

Last year I build a hybrid of a Z24 and Z26 for my Lamy Vista. I always was bothered by the red grip at the piston. It didn't fit the whole clear-chrome-black design and distracted from the ink's color.

First I used a Z26 with a chromed spring behind the converter to secure it. But I wasn't entirely pleased with this macgyverism. So I disassembled the two models and combined them into one new converter with a black grip and a chrome ring.

Don't know if anyone has done this before. I guess so, but didn't find anything on the net. :)

REPOST DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET RUINING PICTURE LINKS NET-WIDE.

post-133810-0-93695100-1506788985_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The fountain pen is just like two stoke engines, they need continuous maintenance. In case you leave the pen unattended for few days, the ink may be dried up within the barrel and cause the piston seal to be scratched. I don't know it was the case with you. Few low quality inks are also creating same issues. In case you are keeping the pens for long period of time, kindly wash it thoroughly and then left it to prevent such issues.

I think I am too late to respond the issue. Never mind please.