42 replies to this topic

#31 Frankiex

Frankiex

Person of Interest...........

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 23:54

I always say "No Value" on the customs forms I send out- $0 if someone at USPS is persistent on a value.
I've been OK so far, and I am always willing to refund if a problem! I have done this both on pen forums, and ebay! I'll keep it that way as long as possible!

#32 checkrail

checkrail

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 00:07

In the UK and I presume in other jurisdictions it is the importer, viz. the buyer, who is legally responsible for the accuracy of the customs declaration, not the exporter, viz. the seller. The exporter is presumed to act on the importer's instructionrs.
Merry Christmas.
Timothy

#33 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 00:35

In the UK and I presume in other jurisdictions it is the importer, viz. the buyer, who is legally responsible for the accuracy of the customs declaration, not the exporter, viz. the seller. The exporter is presumed to act on the importer's instructionrs.
Merry Christmas.
Timothy

My Japanese seller provided an accurate document for the pens which I bought. British charges added 187.3% to the cost of my Japanese pens. Has anyone paid more than 187.3% import charges for pens?

Edited by Blorgy, 27 December 2012 - 00:36.

#34 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:11

I feel privileged to be in Australia as we pay no tax or duties on items under $1,000AUD with the high Aussie dollar, this is a great asset.Posted Image

Edited by Newjelan, 28 December 2012 - 08:12.

#35 msnovtue

msnovtue

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:01

Thought I would jump in on this, since I work in customs clearance for a certain large shipping company.

I can only speak to importing things into the US, but here the duty tariff rate is based on what the item is and what it is worth. For example, let's say you're getting, oh I don't know... a fountain pen. According to the US tariff code, fountain pens are classified under 9608.30.00.39. That means there is a tariff rate of $.04 per pen plus 2.7% of the value. So, if you're getting 5 pens worth $100 each, the duty should be $13.70.

However...there can be other associated fees besides the tariff duty. And depending on factors like where a item was made, the can be reductions in duty because of various governmental agreements/treaties/etc.-for example, NAFTA.

Still with me? :gaah:

So... who pays for all this? That depends. The shipper can pay the charges, and then likely pass the cost along in the original selling price. The other option, of course, is to let those charges be billed to the importer and/or buyer, i.e. you.

Completely confused yet? :wacko:

Yeah, that's about right, then.

One more thing... I personally (just my sightly paranoid opinon here) would be slighty wary of undervaluing items... It may not be likely at all, but if CBP gets suspicious and decides to take a closer look, there can be *ahem* very substantial fines involved. It's pretty unlikely, but it can hurt if it happens. I just felt I should mention the possbility exists.

Anyway, there's a crash course on importing stuff for the US. I have to be a bit careful about things, but that's a general overview of how it works. Personally, ifyou think it might be an issue with a purchase you've made, I would check with the seller/shipper first, and the shipping company second.

Just thought I'd try to explain things a bit- hopefully this was a bit helpful....
1988 Mercedes-Benz 260E

"Nothing will make a driver more faithful to a car than a car that is faithful to its driver."

#36 Frisky Willy

Frisky Willy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:14

A steady stream of FPs (over 80) have winged their way to Ontario from from around the World, including NZ, Bulgaria, HK, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and several more countries, even the USA! The ONE time i've had to pay duty and sales taxes was when an inexpensive pen was sent from Germany via DHL. They put it through their in-house customs brokerage "service", for which they charged an impressive fee. They then submitted the pen for formal Customs clearance, resulting in yet more charges. The total fees were more than twice the cost of the pen! I told DHL that i would not pay for it because of the unwanted and unnecessary brokerage service. They had to return it to the vendor and eat any unrecoverable charges. After that experience i now insist that shipments are by ordinary snail mail and have never lost a pen.

The moral of the storey is: "Don't attract the attention of Customs"!

Courier services have a cross-border routine that can result in customs charges whereas regular national mail does not attract the attention of Customs. Insured and registered mail is usually available from most countries. The speed of delivery can be absolutely amazing, but then i'm comparing that to the speed of the in-country Canadian post office...

Waterman: Le Man 100 Sterling; #52 flex. Parker: Duofold Set 1990; "75" Sterling. Soennecken 101. Moore Fingertip. Mont Blanc 342. Sheaffer: Snorkel; 5 others. Osmiroid 65, MT Swan, Taccia Avante Petrified Wood, Peerless CHBR & Eagle HBR & Stratford Celluloid Eye Droppers, et al.

. . . . . Those with the Truth, pound the facts : those without, pound the table . . . . .

#37 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:54

Parcelforce is bad, hefty charges plus handling charges etc. and pay before you get the item with no clear ID of what the item is!! FedEx is almost as bad but at least you know which pen you are paying for! (UK)

button2.png                                                                            letterji9.png

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

#38 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:13

I prefer accuracy to discrepancy. When I ordered goods I never asked sellers to falsify documents for customs. Conversely, when I ordered goods I never wrote "Please ensure that the customs declaration forms are accurate." I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that some sellers would be offended by such a request. I did not wish to risk offending sellers by suggesting that some sellers might put discrepancies in their documents. Was my assumption correct? Would sellers be offended by a routine request from the purchaser to provide accurate documents for customs?

#39 msnovtue

msnovtue

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:07

A steady stream of FPs (over 80) have winged their way to Ontario from from around the World, including NZ, Bulgaria, HK, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and several more countries, even the USA! The ONE time i've had to pay duty and sales taxes was when an inexpensive pen was sent from Germany via DHL. They put it through their in-house customs brokerage "service", for which they charged an impressive fee. They then submitted the pen for formal Customs clearance, resulting in yet more charges. The total fees were more than twice the cost of the pen! I told DHL that i would not pay for it because of the unwanted and unnecessary brokerage service. They had to return it to the vendor and eat any unrecoverable charges. After that experience i now insist that shipments are by ordinary snail mail and have never lost a pen.

The moral of the storey is: "Don't attract the attention of Customs"!

Courier services have a cross-border routine that can result in customs charges whereas regular national mail does not attract the attention of Customs. Insured and registered mail is usually available from most countries. The speed of delivery can be absolutely amazing, but then i'm comparing that to the speed of the in-country Canadian post office...

Again, everthing coming in to a country must be cleared by customs. The difference between the one pen you were charged for and the others is that the sellers were probably paying any duties and fees, whereas that sipment was billed to you.
1988 Mercedes-Benz 260E

"Nothing will make a driver more faithful to a car than a car that is faithful to its driver."

#40 lovementos

lovementos

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:05

I paid a total of $25.22 for a pen valued at $68. The pen is a Visconti coming from the US, and was shipped using FedEx International Priority.

I'm considering buying a Lamy and a Pilot from PenGallery who will use either FedEx or DHL to send it to me. Can any Canadians (especially those from BC) let me know how their purchase went?

Edited by lovementos, 31 December 2012 - 05:56.

#41 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:23

In practice, there are some advantages to receiving a demand from British customs. Firstly the demand means that my parcel has not vanished, secondly my parcel will eventually be delivered by Parcelforce.

Edited by Blorgy, 02 January 2013 - 04:21.

#42 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:38

I have been super curious about this. I think the total amount of the package makes a difference, so if people who comment wouldn't mind mentioning what pens and how many they bought, that would be great. :)

Near as I have determined despite free trade and NAFTA customs charges arise with UPS. Every Ebay purchase yet if a courier delivers charges me customs. It has so happened that with all the us parcel and Canada Post or other purchases from China, England etc that only couriers triggered a come on in and pay customs call. I actually suspect you are right it should be assessed on value for all packages. I looked at the CBSA website and Canada Customs looks to see if HST or PST,GST was paid. Under free trade if the ink or pen was made in the usa it is duty free (I dont argue with couriers....but its up to you all if you want to about Noodlers and schaeffer's or other pens ;) for jewelry which pens get sorted with especially fountain pens if they can not assess $1 no fees are charged.

Canada Post charges a flat $9.99 handling fee soon to be 10.00 now that we are phasing the penny out probably. Brokerage houses used by courier and parcel delivery companies from my experiences can be higher and should be avoided.

Bottom line advice is be sure to ask gifts be labeled gifts, declare used pens as such and say if it was made in the usa and retailers should be charging us or paying HST and GST.
Bob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)
I use a RIM PlayBook and a fountain pen.

#43 harv

harv

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:37

I have been super curious about this. I think the total amount of the package makes a difference, so if people who comment wouldn't mind mentioning what pens and how many they bought, that would be great. :)

Near as I have determined despite free trade and NAFTA customs charges arise with UPS. Every Ebay purchase yet if a courier delivers charges me customs. It has so happened that with all the us parcel and Canada Post or other purchases from China, England etc that only couriers triggered a come on in and pay customs call. I actually suspect you are right it should be assessed on value for all packages. I looked at the CBSA website and Canada Customs looks to see if HST or PST,GST was paid. Under free trade if the ink or pen was made in the usa it is duty free (I dont argue with couriers....but its up to you all if you want to about Noodlers and schaeffer's or other pens ;) for jewelry which pens get sorted with especially fountain pens if they can not assess $1 no fees are charged.

Canada Post charges a flat $9.99 handling fee soon to be 10.00 now that we are phasing the penny out probably. Brokerage houses used by courier and parcel delivery companies from my experiences can be higher and should be avoided.

Bottom line advice is be sure to ask gifts be labeled gifts, declare used pens as such and say if it was made in the usa and retailers should be charging us or paying HST and GST.

Mags: Seems like you're familiar with the red tape (at least more so than I).

Do you know how Canada imposes its duties (beyond the $10 handling fee)? To be more specific, if I've got a Pilot Custom 74 coming to me from the US and purchased on ebay (used) for $70, what should I expect to have to pay? (It's been held somewhere at the border for the past week and a bit, so I'm assuming they're going to charge something).