Pay It Forward 2012

in the flow

Thanks to Liz....my daughter loves her pen from you. I selected randomly with my daughter and will post a pen case, cartridges, 4 Aldo Domani pens and some sort of mont blanc look alike ball point. Thanks to all who wrote.

The package is headed to Great Britain.

I am glad she liked it!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• zoniguana

• Chrissy

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been here over a year now, so I figured I'd give something back and offer a PIF pen.

I've got a "silver colour" Lamy Al-Star here with the z24 convertor. I bought this last fall/early winter, inked it once with the included cartridge, didn't like the flow, and put it away. I shortly after picked up the convertor, but never inked with it and only used it for cleaning purposes. I know FPN raves about these and Safaris, so i figured I must be the crazy one (wouldn't be the first time!). My collecting has gained focus and shifted pretty far away from these anyway, so I figure it is doing nobody any good sitting in a drawer, unlikely to ever be used. Here are some pics, sorry for the Iphone picture quality:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7136/7770163166_d2d6349c0f.jpg

Section w/convertor, body, cap

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7256/7770160634_4e7b7d9137.jpg

Medium nib

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7770157840_b313bf9c32.jpg

Capped

I'd prefer this go to a new member or a student, but it is open to anyone, including all of our international FPN members. Shoot me a PM if interested.

EDIT1: The Lamy has found a new home, just waiting for a shipping address.

Edited by Redbarchettayyz

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

I have a simple Chinese pen that I like. I thought that someone else might get a kick out of it too. This is a Jinrong 610 it is high impact black plastic, with a hooded nib that is close to a western fine. I have smoothed the nib out on a finger nail buffer. It always writes, no skipping. It is sort of a tradesman's type fountain pen as it is not ornate at all. Really most people that see it dont have a clue it is a fountain pen. I will ship world wide. I will let this stay open through the weekend my time. Shoot me a PM if you would like it.

Here is the pen with a writing sample from it and a couple other pens so you can get an idea how it writes.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7624871938_98c78ea2b4.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7274/7624871574_6284b6b100.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7624871308_c880ba99e1.jpg

Thank you to all that put their names in the hat. It was nice to meet all of you. I enjoyed chatting with you. The 610 is going to go out to NickNeutron in India.

The Jinrong arrived today. Thank you so much for sending it, pienaar, it is very smooth indeed! I love it! :)

Also: I shall attempt restoring alc3261's Hero during the weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes, soon.

The Lamy is gone! Congratulations lucky member!

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

For those who received the Red Black/Dragon's Napalm mix, I've had one report of it having gelled/dried in transit, and one who had it arrive fine and dandy. Has anybody else had the former happen?

Mine arrived in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to put it into anything yet but it looks fine - no slime, lumps or gelling. I'm sure it will write fine, but if by chance it doesn't I'll do a followup post.

A followup. I put this ink into a Parker Vector that I'd just received from another member. It had been completely soaked and flushed, with a brand new converter, before I inked it. And it was awesome! Gorgeous color, very nice shading. In fairly short order the pen started skipping and had poor starting. I had originally thought is was the nib so I'd been smoothing and flossing, trying to solve this problem. This morning it had stopped completely, so I thought it time to flush and try again. The first flush was with clean tap water, no cleaners added, and my rinsing bowl is full of ink globs. Over a dozen of varying sizes, and the water did not turn a cloudy red, as expected, but a tinted red and completely see through. It's as if all the pigment separated from the ink to form the clumps. :mellow:

On the off chance that I ended up with a contaminated pen, I haven't dumped the ink. I will try a different ink in the pen and see what happens, and try your ink in a different pen when one comes available.

My first forward payment is a new/unused Duke Uranus 620 in black and lime green. It has a fine semi-hooded nib. It will come with a converter, but I think will also take standard intl. carts as well. I have the red version of this same pen and it has been a good writer for me. A pen I'd defintely recommend. One small cosmetic flaw the pen has is that, for whatever reason, there is a space between the 'u' and 's' in Uranus, so the imprint on the back of the cap reads 'URANU S 620.' The joys of Chinese qc. :lol:

Uranus is the seventh planet from the sun, so I'll give this pen to the seventh member to message me with 'Uranus' as the subject. As they say, timing is everything. ;) This offer is open to all members.

(For additional pictures, just search the pen name at ebay.)

post-19598-0-35272900-1345757090.jpg

post-19598-0-13694400-1345757161.jpg

Edited by Kugelschreiber

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

My first forward payment is a new/unused Duke Uranus 620 in black and lime green. It has a fine semi-hooded nib. It will come with a converter, but I think will also take standard intl. carts as well. I have the red version of this same pen and it has been a good writer for me. A pen I'd defintely recommend. One small cosmetic flaw the pen has is that, for whatever reason, there is a space between the 'u' and 's' in Uranus, so the imprint on the back of the cap reads 'URANU S 620.' The joys of Chinese qc. :lol:

Uranus is the seventh planet from the sun, so I'll give this pen to the seventh member to message me with 'Uranus' as the subject. As they say, timing is everything. ;) This offer is open to all members.

PM sent!

PM sent!

Received, thank you. But you weren't #7, so the pen is still available.

~ George Orwell

Member 'brgmarketing' was Uranus lucky #7!

Thanks to all those who contacted me and better luck next time. I'll have another pen to list tomorrow and a couple or few more in the future. ;)

~ George Orwell

Next up is a Baoer 801 in red and gold with, I would say, a fine nib. I inked it only once and found it an okay writer; not great or terrible. My opinion was perhaps soured because I didn't realize how slender it was until I received it. I would say this pen is probably better suited to those with smaller hands. It will come with a converter but also takes standard intl. cartridges. It may look like the cap should post well, but it really doesn't. It fits on the back but is loose and I doubt would stay on long during writing.

This offer is open to all members. The first ten to message me with the subject line 'Baoer' will have the chance to win the pen. I'll use random.org to generate a number between one and ten to choose the winner.

post-19598-0-58376800-1345853055.jpg

post-19598-0-06034400-1345853092.jpg

~ George Orwell

Next up is a Baoer 801 in red and gold with, I would say, a fine nib. I inked it only once and found it an okay writer; not great or terrible. My opinion was perhaps soured because I didn't realize how slender it was until I received it. I would say this pen is probably better suited to those with smaller hands. It will come with a converter but also takes standard intl. cartridges. It may look like the cap should post well, but it really doesn't. It fits on the back but is loose and I doubt would stay on long during writing.

This offer is open to all members. The first ten to message me with the subject line 'Baoer' will have the chance to win the pen. I'll use random.org to generate a number between one and ten to choose the winner.

post-19598-0-58376800-1345853055.jpg

post-19598-0-06034400-1345853092.jpg

There are still three spots open.

~ George Orwell

Since noone is biting on my sales ad, I might as well donate these pens to someone who appreciate them more than me. Vintage Parker 45 set (Fountain pen and ball point pen) donated.

See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/12199-parker-45-set/ for details of the pens.

Given to first member to PM me with an address, will ship world wide. If many people PM me in too short time, I take the freedom to select randomly.

Edit: 7 PMs in a few minutes - I guess you can consider them pens gone by now.

Edited by lemanfan

Another PIF - a Hero 366 small size.

fpn_1344446051__2012-08-08_171353.jpg

There is a catch, the sac has got a hole in it.

If you think you can do anything with it, you can have it.

NickNeutron is going to give it a go!!

post-70962-0-52851200-1345914680.jpg

I am very happy to say that the Hero 366 small has been successfully restored!

That little bulge at its end is where the hole was: a 3mm diameter cut. I used Quickfix superglue to fill the hole. It took several successive cycles of application of thin layers of glue and drying overnight. A few nights later, the filling was sufficiently solid and strong. There are no leaks and it writes perfectly.

Thanks again to alc3261 for sending me this cute little pen! :)

Edited by NickNeutron

One spot left for the Baoer 801.

~ George Orwell

And the Baoer 801 goes to member 'MrSpiffy' (#6). Congratulations to him and thank you to the other nine members who contacted me. Better luck next time.

~ George Orwell

That little bulge at its end is where the hole was: a 3mm diameter cut. I used Quickfix superglue to fill the hole. It took several successive cycles of application of thin layers of glue and drying overnight. A few nights later, the filling was sufficiently solid and strong. There are no leaks and it writes perfectly.

good thinking nice job...

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

And the Baoer 801 goes to member 'MrSpiffy' (#6). Congratulations to him and thank you to the other nine members who contacted me. Better luck next time.

Huge thanks to Kugelschreiber! I'm hoping that I can give the pen to my wife to get her started in fountain pens, too. :) Being new to FPs, I have a feeling that, as I accumulate more samples and pens, that I'm going to have a few items to contribute in PIFs myself, eventually.

Just noticed that I made a mistake in my previous post: the glue I used was Fevikwik, not Quickfix.

It was fun last time, and here is another set of pens I don't have the energy to advertise.

http://www.elenfors.com/images/calligraphy-PIF.jpg

What you see is a cheap calligraphy set with four different nib sizes, including two cartridges. It seems to take international standard cartridges. I'll send worldwide.

I'd like to give this to a student or other person who have to prioritize necessities over pens, but still want to play with pens and calligraphy.

I'll select the recipient randomly out of the first few answers, so please just PM me with an address if you want it.

Edit: aready gone.

Edited by lemanfan

Nice! That could be a fun set for whoever gets it. I wonder how it would write with a premium ink...