I Bet You Have Never Heard Of A Serwex Pen!

kethiemann

Serwex is a ball point and fountain pen manufacturer located in Gurgaon, India just south of Delhi. In India just about every major city has their own local pen manufacturer. Pens made by this local manufacturer can only be found in and around the city they are manufactured. Since Delhi is such a large city (22 million) Serwex has a sizable market to target but, as far as I know, the pens are only found around the Delhi area. This review is of their top of the line fountain pen. I'm pretty impressed with both its look and construction.

The entire body and cap is steel with a polished finish. The end caps are polished steel. This is a small diameter pen. It reminds me a bit of the Parker Vector.

post-52956-0-71541700-1325003810.jpg post-52956-0-71047300-1325003815.jpg post-52956-0-69738200-1325003820.jpg

Section has relatively sturdy plastic threads that screw into the the metal body.

post-52956-0-75632400-1325003821.jpg

Cap is snap on with non-spring clip with "Serwex" printed at the base. I personally prefer a clip with more spring but it is a sturdy construction.

post-52956-0-78951000-1325003812.jpg post-52956-0-77883900-1325003822.jpg

Filler is converter. It is a pretty simplistic plunger-style design that I have found to be common in Indian-made pens.

post-52956-0-27113100-1325003814.jpg

Feed is molded plastic. Nib is steel and writes medium. It is inscribed "Iridium point Germany". The nib and feed fit pretty tightly into the section and are a bit difficult to remove. Mine writes smooth with a true medium line.

post-52956-0-66546500-1325003817.jpg post-52956-0-32137700-1325003819.jpg

To see more Serwex pens check out www.FountainPenRevolution.com

Edited by kethiemann

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjabbott

• Jimmy James

• robofkent

• Eccles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a really interesting pen!

Thanks for sharing -

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

The IPG nib and section look identical to the Retro 51 Director.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I really like the stainless steel body especially for 12 dollars on that website. nice review!

Edited by Spector

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

I have three of the lesser Serwex pens. All of them have generic Montblanc-style wing nibs. The only one I have inked so far is a nicely consistent, smooth writer.

As usual, no affiliation...just a happy customer!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

• 1 month later...

I've ordered a Serwex 1362 from fountainpenrevolution.com can't wait for it to arrive from India!

I have heard of Serwex. The free pen Kevin gave me for liking his Facebook page (he did two rounds of that recently) is a really nifty Serwex piston filler that just keeps going and going. I am not exactly sure when, but I know I will soon be buying another Serwex and a second Chelpark to go along with it. I don't want to take away from Serwex, but the Chelpark Moti I also got from Kevin before his selling here became a business is the best Indian pen I have ever seen. I love it.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

That's great news thanks! I've just made another order.

Edited by robofkent

Just a comment on that converter - I have one in a Reynolds pen I bought from India, and it is very leaky. I'd suggest anyone who has one test it thoroughly with water before they fill it with ink.

(It might be fixable by adding a new o-ring to improve the piston seal, but I keep forgetting to go to the hardware store, and just use a Schmidt international converter instead.)

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

I have heard of Serwex. The free pen Kevin gave me for liking his Facebook page (he did two rounds of that recently) is a really nifty Serwex piston filler that just keeps going and going. I am not exactly sure when, but I know I will soon be buying another Serwex and a second Chelpark to go along with it. I don't want to take away from Serwex, but the Chelpark Moti I also got from Kevin before his selling here became a business is the best Indian pen I have ever seen. I love it.

I haven't tried the Chelpark pens, but I agree on the Serwex pen. I received one as well, and it just keeps going. I wish I put a different ink in the pen as I discovered that I don't care for that ink color. And yet, the Serwex keeps going. Excellent! I may have to look into that deal he posted.

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

IMHO, the Moti is a very smooth writer and very comfortable in the hand.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

• 3 weeks later...

Received my Serwex 1362 today from the give away. Pretty nice little pen. Very light, very easy to fill. The nib is definitely a fine nib but lays down a nice wet line. It is a bit scratchy though. Perhaps it just needs broken in for awhile. It's a bit to thick to use on regular notebook paper which is where most of my writing takes place but it may be a good pen for a journal or a letter writer. Does have a bit of an odor from the manufacturing process but nothing overly offensive. All in all a good little pen. Shipping was very nice and I received it in just 2 weeks which is pretty fast considering it had to go from India through customs into the US.

I also received my free Serwex from Kevin's give-away. It is not a 1362, however.......it's a very similar looking Special 101 eyedropper, with a grey cap and clear body. After a quick wash, rinse, and dry, I loaded it up with some Noodler's Blue/Black and have been using it on a daily basis. It has never failed to start immediately, even after an overnight rest (nib up). It doesn't skip, doesn't scratch, doesn't miss a beat. For such an inexpensive pen, it's quite a smooth writer, and I'm amazed at its performance. I've ordered six more pens from Kevin, along with some ink samples, and I anxiously await their arrival. After using this little Serwex for a week now, I don't think I'll be disappointed in their performance. Thank you Kevin.

On a side note, Kevin has pledged to donate 20% of his profit to help the poor in India. Very commendable. :clap1:

• 2 years later...

Yes, I've both heard of and bought a couple for myself, plus given a few as inexpensive but worthwhile gifts, but I'd not seen this interesting model... so thanks for the heads up... I'm about to place an order.

Regards,

Glenn.

Fascinating ! In India, fountain pen brands are regional. They should be fun to collect.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Serwex is a ball point and fountain pen manufacturer located in Gurgaon, India just south of Delhi. In India just about every major city has their own local pen manufacturer. Pens made by this local manufacturer can only be found in and around the city they are manufactured. Since Delhi is such a large city (22 million) Serwex has a sizable market to target but, as far as I know, the pens are only found around the Delhi area. This review is of their top of the line fountain pen. I'm pretty impressed with both its look and construction.

The entire body and cap is steel with a polished finish. The end caps are polished steel. This is a small diameter pen. It reminds me a bit of the Parker Vector.

attachicon.gifexec barrel.jpg attachicon.gifexec ends.jpg attachicon.gifexec open.jpg

Section has relatively sturdy plastic threads that screw into the the metal body.

attachicon.gifexec section.jpg

Cap is snap on with non-spring clip with "Serwex" printed at the base. I personally prefer a clip with more spring but it is a sturdy construction.

attachicon.gifexec cap.jpg attachicon.gifexec serwex logo.jpg

Filler is converter. It is a pretty simplistic plunger-style design that I have found to be common in Indian-made pens.

attachicon.gifexec converter.jpg

Feed is molded plastic. Nib is steel and writes medium. It is inscribed "Iridium point Germany". The nib and feed fit pretty tightly into the section and are a bit difficult to remove. Mine writes smooth with a true medium line.

attachicon.gifexec nib.jpg attachicon.gifexec nib and feed.jpg

To see more Serwex pens check out www.FountainPenRevolution.com

exciting pen...

i live in gurgaon.... i must grab it...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 2 months later...

I recently received a Serwex 100 eyedropper filled from fountainpenrevolution.com as a gift for making a purchase of a set of nibs and the Dilli. I am in love with it. The ink has lasted so far one and a half weeks and still has plenty to go. It writes smoothly for me and the only difficulty I've ran into is my getting accustomed to the potential for "burping" when it gets warmed up after being cold. It is my first eyedropper.

P.S.

The Dilli is great lil pen as well