Caran d'Ache Dunas

Rique

I´m rather tempted to buy one, ivory colour, online. But I´ve never seen one in person, or written with one, but it seems to have a very unusual colour and shape, and I´m always attracted to unusual pens... :)

Has anyone tried one out? I´ve seem a few opinions about CdA pens at FPN, but only about the expensive models - and the Dunas seems to be their least expensive one. Is the quality of their lower models as good as that of the expensive ones?

regards,

Rique

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rique

• KCat

• bluemax

• Vintage Pens Fan

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not written with one. I have often looked at them because I like the very clean lines and soft color and texture. The texture is very interesting.

They are heavy relative to what I'm accustomed to. If that matters to you or if you post and don't like a heavy cap, then it may not suit you. I've only held one and the weight turned me off. But I did not get to see how it was without the cap on it. Remember, I'm a Pelikan fan (200/400/600) so my idea of "heavy" is rather limiting.

editing for a side comment. This thread caught my attention because I haven't seen this pen in a long time and I went to a website I have not visited in months and noticed it was in their "specials" section. So I found it interesting (eerie :blink: ) that you posted this on the same day.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I bought on of these about a month ago and went for the ivory white model too. As it looked like such an attractive pen, and was good value, I thought, 'what the hell'. Now that I have used it a few times, I can give the following observations:

1 It is very well designed and does look like a reasonably 'expensive' pen in the flesh

2 the cap is a push fit, but sturdy in position, and requires a fair degree of pressure if you also want to post it

3 I find the pen a little too thin for my liking, but then, my normal pen would be something like a MB 146, Sailor 1911

4 I bought a medium nib, and it is a pretty juicy writer. certainly on a par with my Pelikan M400, but less than a sailor.

5 It is also a very smooth writer (which I like) and there is absolutely no toothiness to it at all

6 Although it's not a really heavy pen, it's not as light as you'd expect. CD'A seem to have a thing about gravity. I also have a leman, and boy does that give your muscles a work out :P

Overall, if it wasn't for it's size, I would rotate it a little more than I do, but that said, it is currently in my rotation, and does outperform some pens that are 5-8 times more expensive

If you're in the uk, try good old Andy's Pens (no affiliations etc etc), fast service and excellent value as ever.

cheers

Bren

Thanks everyone for the replies!

KCat, I´m surprised you classify this a "somewhat heavy" pen! From the pictures, I expected (or rather, I feared) just the opposite - a light "plasticky" pen. I too like the Pelikans (from 150 to 400 - I haven´t progressed to a 600 yet :) ), but I don´t mind hefty pens - I have a thing for Waterman Experts, which aren´t light, by any standards.

David, I don´t think I can use your tip, unfortunately ... I´m in Brazil now, and importing from the US would mean paying very heavy duties (but I´ve found a online source here). Thanks, anyway!

Bluemax, this is almost a review! :P ... Thanks a lot. Is the model you got the "shiny white"? The one I´m after is the "mojave ivory". I think there is a difference in texture between them - one is polished, the other matte. Is that so?

Cheers,

Rique

They are all matte as far as I know (hence the "Dunas", they have a sandy look to them that is very classy.) No, not "plasticky" at all IMO. I found, even though they're heavier than my Pelikans, that they had a very solid feel and classy look. My only reservation was the weight and the store I was in had them for a typical Brick&mortar price. Again, I'm very picky about weight unless it's a VP. So my version of "heavy" isn't perhaps what most would worry about.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Bluemax, this is almost a review! tongue.gif ... Thanks a lot. Is the model you got the "shiny white"? The one I´m after is the "mojave ivory". I think there is a difference in texture between them - one is polished, the other matte. Is that so?

Yes, Mine's the white one. Can't say about the finish, but I recall that the Sandy coloured one was a little less lustrous than the white.

Oh, I did forget to mention that the nib is pretty stiff, even though it's a good writer.

regards

Bren

They are all matte as far as I know (hence the "Dunas", they have a sandy look to them that is very classy.) ...

KCat, they've changed the colours and the textures. The latest 'Dunas'es are mostly shiny. But there are still some matte versions out there.