Diamine Ancient Copper

Sandy1

I learned a lesson with this ink. Never judge an ink by the first pen you put it in! I was at a pen club meeting and had just picked up this ink. I had my newly aquired Carmine OS Balance with me and though I might as well ink it up with the new ink. I had flushed the pen when I got it and then used some blue inks in it and it was recently flushed and empty. The pen is an extra fine point so the depth of color is hard to see but the ink was very dark which is not what I expected. I even scribbled some big patches of color and still very dark. When I got home my wife wanted to try the new ink in her True Writer with a medium nib. Wow what a difference in color, it looked like I expected this ink to look. I scribbled and scribbled with the Balance and finally the ink color started to get lighter.

So the lesson... Vintage pens that were used most of their lives with blue / black inks may look clean and run clear when flushed but when you try other colors in them those old plated out layers of ink may finally disolve and discolor your new ink. From now on I will try out new inks with newer pens and broader nibs!

+1. Inks are different with different pens. Well-said

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Ruminator

• JimB

• crunchmaster

Until that Diamine Ancient Copper ink hit the Rhoda, I thought my 'new' DA Kupper braun was holding it's own or near abouts.

Major League Shading. :notworthy1:

I'd not tested DA Kupper braun, in I had the big ESSR test to do. I'd been happy with the little I'd seen.

Until I saw that 52 1/2 on the Rhoda. :embarrassed_smile: The C74 also. :thumbup: Rhoda seemed to make this ink really come to life.

I had DA Kupper braun in Semi-flex OM....then I pulled out a regular flex F, in there is often great differences in nibs.

Out came a couple of medium to good papers, the 110 Zander I bought after my paper test...the 95 g MK paper that beats it...a couple of those 90 gram Zebra papers that were hanging around on the street corner thinking evil thoughts.

Got beat.

Out came the 90 G Clairefontain.

Still got beat big time.

Out came a easy full flex Degussa F.

OK don't mind getting beat by a neck.

I will be seeing what I can get free in M, and regular flex M and so on.

I want to see if I can get with DA Kupper braunso many shades of brown as the Diamine Ancient Copper ink that Sandy tested.

It seems to be superb.

It appears I have it's poor cousin. :bonk:

Hi,

Thanks for your descriptive comparison to DA Kupper Braun!

I also find it a bit vexing when I have an ink I really like, but it is just a bit short in one aspect - especially shading. And I do as you've done: go to a more flexible/shaped nib and/or go to a hard surfaced FP friendly writing paper. Only too often, I come away with not much more to show for my efforts but a row of pens to clean and another folio of failed samples, and the document written using some other ink+pen+paper combo that I'd previously found to be wonderful.

The shading potential on DAC is high, but can be suppressed as well. It does seem to be a matter of getting the pen+paper combo worked out. I agree that the Rhodia gave more shading from more pens. I also like the Rhodia because of the base tint, which is slightly warm. Yet when I have a moment, I would like to find a paper which is a very 'snappy' cool white that is not achieved by optical brightening agents typical to copy paper. (Cooler than Triomphe.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

snip

So the lesson... Vintage pens that were used most of their lives with blue / black inks may look clean and run clear when flushed but when you try other colors in them those old plated out layers of ink may finally disolve and discolor your new ink. From now on I will try out new inks with newer pens and broader nibs!

+1. Inks are different with different pens. Well-said

Hi,

I believe the lesson that pakmanpony is trying to pass along is that pen residue (plating) from previous inks may dissolve to discolour a new ink, so to see the true colour of an ink, clean pens should be used; and that pakmanpony prefers to do so using broader nibs.

Certainly I agree that that "Inks are different from different pens", the reason/s have to do with the variation in the pens' characteristics other than cleanliness. That is the aspect which I try to demonstrate in my written samples by using clean pens without residue that can discolour the ink under review.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another great review. I just ordered a 30 ml bottle of this ink for the fun of it - seems sorta different. I guess I will put in my "ancient" copper Esterbrook J. (my attempt at ink & pen humor...) Then again, I like Waterman Havana and Pelikan Brilliant Brown quite a bit too!

I can vouch for that. I got an Esterbrook LJ that had been unused for a long time, left with blue ink in it. I flushed it until it was clear and then put GI Green in it, which matched the color (green icicle). But the next day, the ink was blue, not GI Green. After writing it dry, I flushed it and reloaded GI Green, and GI Green's been GI Green ever since. :)

Thanks for another great review. I just ordered a 30 ml bottle of this ink for the fun of it - seems sorta different. I guess I will put in my "ancient" copper Esterbrook J. (my attempt at ink & pen humor...) Then again, I like Waterman Havana and Pelikan Brilliant Brown quite a bit too!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Even though I am not well versed on Brown inks, this one does seem "sorta different".

Please let us know how you like DAC - it should be right at home in your ancient Estie!:roflmho:

Bye,

S1

First, thanks for another exemplary ink review. I have tried to communicate to various folks the concept that a particular ink's look depends strongly on both the pen and the paper. Your reviews show this better than any words can and I just decided that if I need to convince someone else of this fact, I'll just refer them to your scans.

Yesterday I got a letter from an FPN penpal who used this Ancient Copper on some Rhodia paper (Premium R bloc #18 [sic]?) It was very attractive on this cream-colored paper.

Hmm, Just got it yesterday.

My first impression was ... Hey .. is the MB Toffee Brown?

Not too impressed with this colour.

Also got the Diamine Registrars. Yeah baby! Thats an ink.

But the MB midnight has better glide.

Not too impressed with their Jet Black though.

And the Saphire BLUE: ! Ugh! What blue? more purple blue/black.

I think all ink manufacturers should stop rehashing strange colours with creative names.

Anyway, thats just me.

By the way Sandy1, your reviews are simply amazing !

Jag

Edited by Jagdeep

Holiness is not in religion. It is in compassion and right action in mind and heart

My bottle arrived today, and I'm very pleased with the look. Noodler's Golden Brown and Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon are a bit too subtle for me, but this ink really seems to stand out. It seems like a nice shade for writing notes to people.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

First, thanks for another exemplary ink review. I have tried to communicate to various folks the concept that a particular ink's look depends strongly on both the pen and the paper. Your reviews show this better than any words can and I just decided that if I need to convince someone else of this fact, I'll just refer them to your scans.

Yesterday I got a letter from an FPN penpal who used this Ancient Copper on some Rhodia paper (Premium R bloc #18 [sic]?) It was very attractive on this cream-colored paper.

Hi,

You're welcome!

It is important to me to convey some of an ink's potential to change appearance - that is part of what makes FP use so appealing.

I have yet to try the new Premium R Rhodia paper, but is does seem appealing. Thanks for the heads-up on a good looking ink+paper combo. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

Hmm, Just got it yesterday.

My first impression was ... Hey .. is the MB Toffee Brown?

Not too impressed with this colour.

Also got the Diamine Registrars. Yeah baby! Thats an ink.

But the MB midnight has better glide.

Not too impressed with their Jet Black though.

And the Saphire BLUE: ! Ugh! What blue? more purple blue/black.

I think all ink manufacturers should stop rehashing strange colours with creative names.

Anyway, thats just me.

By the way Sandy1, your reviews are simply amazing !

Jag

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

I must say that our taste in inks is quite different! :P

And I am developing a rapport with DAC, but it hasn't reached to the top shelf [yet].

Bye,

S1

My bottle arrived today, and I'm very pleased with the look. Noodler's Golden Brown and Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon are a bit too subtle for me, but this ink really seems to stand out. It seems like a nice shade for writing notes to people.

Hi,

Good to hear that you like the ink! There's nothing like having the ink in your pen to form an opinion.

I've used Grand Canyon for quite some time, but not Noodler's GB. It seems the Orange-Red aspect of Ancient Copper definitely makes it stand out. And it does sooo well for convivial personal notes.

Bye,

S1

• 3 months later...

Great review, Sandy, as usual. Just an update that your link to Diamine's color page is either wrong or has changed since you posted. Updated url is: http://www.diaminein...px?prodcode=296

Hi,

Many thanks for adding the current Link. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

Hi all,

This thread mentions occurrence of Feed Creep / Crud / Goop. LINK

I have not encountered similar nasties.

Bye,

S1

outstanding review, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 months later...

I learned a lesson with this ink. Never judge an ink by the first pen you put it in! I was at a pen club meeting and had just picked up this ink. ...<snip>

Amen to that, brother! I had the exact experience sampling some Noodler's Habanero in a vintage Waterman. Yuck! Awful red/brown/mud color that made me flush it out immediately.

But then I decided to see how it would do with a broader nib and dipped in a nearly new (but flushed and ultra-sound-ed) Edison. Wow. BIG Difference! I will not make that mistake again.

New rules for me: 1) Samples of ink get test in a "pure" pen. 2) Vintage pens get blue or black or blue-black. Maybe a dark purple.

That's it!

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

Great review again Sandy1.

I think you(and Diamine) have sold me on this one.

I love the technical stuff("just the facts ma'am"), but also enjoy the personal side of what it sparks in you as a fountain pen user.

Thank you!

Inked

Great review again Sandy1.

I think you(and Diamine) have sold me on this one.

I love the technical stuff("just the facts ma'am"), but also enjoy the personal side of what it sparks in you as a fountain pen user.

Thank you!

Inked

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

As ever, I try to give a fairly well-rounded impression of an ink, with some separation of the "technical stuff", (realising we have no metrics), and my own thoughts & experience. Clearly, the most important stuff are the [poorly] Written Samples.

I leave the selling of ink to the ink companies, their agents & vendors.

Indeed, I am quite happy when my efforts avoid a potentially unrewarding purchase, enable inky enjoyment, raise a smile, or relieve symptoms associated with insomnia. :)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I finally tried DAC on the Rhodia 'R' paper (90gsm), which gave a very pleasant result.

The paper surface is quite smooth and seems very slightly less 'slick' than the Rhodia 80gsm used in the Written Samples above, and is slightly more absorbent, though resistance to bleed- show-through was very high. The 'R' paper has a decidedly warm base-tint, which Rhodia calls 'Ivory', though I would suggest it is more akin to 'Creme', but that is hair-splitting.

I chose the Parker Slimfold (Black), which is a fairly wet writer with a stub-ish B nib. (Also seen in the Pelikan BlBk Review, and as pen 'I' in the Scribal Work Shop Siren Blue Review.

The result was very warm overall, with some good shading that enlivened the wide high density line.

I don't think I'd be inclined to run DAC from a too dry pen on the 'R' paper: it may give a more 'airy' result, but not really separate the ink from the paper enough for it to come aloft - as if it were dragging its mooring / tie-down lines. I'd be more likely to go to a laid surface, such as the G Lalo Verge de France Ivory.

Hmmm - too many nice choices?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1